Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart by pass

Florida Newbie

Heart by pass

Hello I am an avid reader of this forum but I have not posted before. My husband and I went to Orlando two years ago and we were smitten with everything. Unfortunately we were not able to travel last year as my husband had to have a bypass. We have now booked a holiday for next Easter.We wondered if anyone knew of someone who had travelled after having a bypass, would the metal detector go off?
    If so would we need a letter from a doctor to explain why? Thankyou for all your advice on this site I spend many hours reading all your messages [Dorothy]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Dorothy

Welcome to posting!

I know what you mean as my husband used to start the alarm going off with the metal he had in his elbow but I'm not sure that someone who's had a heart bypass would have metal 'bits' to set them off?

All that happened to my husband was that they gave him a more thorough scan with a hand held metal detector to find out what was setting the machine off. That way, he could have shown them his scar (if it had become necessary, which it never did).

I think the only reasons for your husband to have a medical letter would be to set out any medication that he's currently on and his past history in the unlikely event that he became unwell during your trip. I really wouldn't worry too much about metal detectors and enjoy your holiday!
    blott

Florida Junior
    Hi Dorothy

My Farther in law has had a replacement valve fitted

His is a metal one and it does not set the alarms off - he visits regularly.

On a Similar note ?

He usually only stays for max 4 weeks as he has to have his blood checked every month to adjust his medication(warfren).

Does anybody Know if it is possible to have this done in U.S. so he could stay for longer. ?

Thanks

Jeff

Gold 5 Star Member
    Of course he can get his INR blood test for his Warfarin levels checked in the US but he would need to pay for this himself (his travel insurance won't cover routine medical treatment for a pre-existing condition) and the visit to the doctor to order it and a repeat visit to learn the result and be advised about changing his medication level (if necessary). From memory, this is about $100 - $200 for a doctor's visit and about $150 for the blood test.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    A regular Coronary Bypass should not involve introduction of any metal bits and so the question of whether the person would set off a metal detector is immaterial. Even if someone has an artificial heart valve with metallic components, I doubt if the detector would respond. After all, lots of people have dental fillings, copper IUCDs, small metal wires from old fractures etc.

As to INR tests and Warfarin, it would depend on the patient's stability on the drug. Most patients who have 'settled' on their Warfarin dosage have their INRs checked every 4 weeks and so a 3-week Orlando holiday can be easily 'squeezed-in' between tests. But if someone is not yet stabilised on the medication or going through an unstable phase, he/she really is not fit to travel.
    Nostromo

Florida Chatterbox
    Hello Dorothy

My mother had a quadruple by-pass last October. She travelled with me to Orlando in June this year and did not set off the metal detectors! She had no problems whatsoever, but did take a note of her medication with her (copy of her prescription), just in case she had to get some new supplies whilst she was over there.

CLAIRE
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-572.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Claire is totally correct.

My father had similar and has no problems whatsoever ... infact he enjoys himself more, now, having had a new lease of life, at 85yrs.
    [OV]1499[/OV]

Florida Newbie
    Thank you to all that replied to my question.I knew I could rely on you. Every posting I read is so informative. When my husband's consultant said his rib cage was "wired together" I had visions of customs giving us a hard time. When we went through customs in Orlando last time I had to take my shoes off as they had set the alarm off. Do keep posting it's better than reading the paper![msnsmile2]

Dorothy someone who is booked to stay in my villa for over 5 weeks has to have his medication checked once a month and says it has never been a problem in Florida. I did provide him with a telephone number of a local doctor so he could make an appointment before he arrived.

Maureen
    http://www.rentalsgulfcoast.com/Villas/1267.aspx
    Maureen Green

Hi

I am a cardiac nurse and as far as I am aware you can go throught with no plroblem. (would not be ab le to go through with a pacemaker)

Please make sure your insurance co knows about medical condition before you holiday.

Have a great time!
    andy and ann

www.villasflorida.com/Villas/1044.aspx