Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aren't we lucky in UK

Florida Chatterbox

Aren't we lucky in UK

I know we have floods here and occasional spells of really bad weather, but I have just been mailed pictures of my friend's villa in Lake City after the floods of Hurricane Frances. The water was up to mid window level and everything but everything appears to be ruined. They were flooded in 2 hours and the devastation is tremendous. Fortunately she had flood insurance this time but thinks the house will be a write off and is staying with her son. All her photographs, memories etc are washed away but her and her husband are safe. We will visit next week but what on earth can you say to make things better?[msntongue]

Lisi

Gold 5 Star Member
    one thing I can say for the people in the USA.....they pull their socks up and get on with rebuilding....the same happens I think in England where flooding is commom place......people pull together.....that would happen in our small village in England......where the low lying homes would be flooded in bad weather......We lived throught 2 hurricane in England living right down on the shore between Southampton and Portsmouth......and afterwards......all you heard from our neighbours were moans about losing the odd tile......things like this bring out the good and bad in people......but mostly the good.....

Gold 5 Star Member
    But if I had to choose, I would prefer the Florida sunshine any day (even if it meant having to brave the odd hurricane or two) to the average UK weather. . Sorry to disagree, but the one thing that we are NOT lucky in the UK is with the weather.
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Someone from one of my other forums just had a 5.9 Earthquake about 30 miles from his house in CA......he says the ground is still moving there.......
    [msnscared]

Gold 5 Star Member
    As well as that 'wind' that blew down no end of trees, etc all over the country in 1986 (the one Michael Fish said wasn't going to happen!), we also had quite strong earthquakes in Manchester a couple of years ago, a whole fortnight with around 80 of them!
    blott

Lisi, have you been away recently!? We have had some of the worst floods and weather related problems, for the last few years, these have wrecked peoples homes over and over again.

Insurance premiums have gone up and some people can no longer get insured; maybe because out government does not help and the other international stuff gets the news but I’d like to remind you of the recent flood in Devon;

Flood devastates Devon village
    Twelve bodies have been recovered and 24 people are missing feared dead in the flood which has swept through Lynmouth in north Devon.

Opps! It was 1952 but is still going on.
    Dave [msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    We can always rely on the British weather though, rely on it to be bad that is!
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    As well as that 'wind' that blew down no end of trees, etc all over the country in 1986 (the one Michael Fish said wasn't going to happen!), we also had quite strong earthquakes in Manchester a couple of years ago, a whole fortnight with around 80 of them!
    [/quote]

That " wind " blew my brick built chimney down which came through the flat roof of my kitchen and ended up on my kitchen floor along with half my roof tiles, thank god I wasnt in the kitchen at the time ( when am I ever )

Lesley
    www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-784.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well, I hesitated to use the word 'hurricane' but it also decimated our lane which had lots of very old, large trees and got me a day off work as I couldn't get out of the lane! All the neighbours were out in the lane all day with chain saws.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    I think we all remember the headline Sevenoaks is now oneoak.......!

I think that our weather here is becoming more erratic as the years pass. The seasons seem to have moved a bit too, it's warmer later in the summer/autumn usually now, although we did have a warm spring this year. That's the problem, we just can't say that any time of the year is going to be good weather. We can never tell! I am sitting here now sweltering, and thinking about getting the fan out again! I do love the British weather though, when it is good - My idea of good is a beautiful spring/autumn day, breezy, but warm. We usually get about 4 of those a year!