Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.N.Other newbie..................

Florida Chatterbox

A.N.Other newbie..................

Did manage a post yesterday with some very helpful answers
    1st time to Florida on 18th October for two weeks with my wife[:X] and three kids (12,10[}] & 6[:I]).
    We have pre-purchased the 10 day disney park tickets, and obviously want to get the most out of these tickets.
    We have a large saloon hire car (Alamo group F4) and a s/c villa in Kissimmee.
    First question is where is the best place to get essentials after an 8 hour flight to Orlando - will we pass anywhere on the way to Kissimmee?
    I was interested in the Kennedy space centre, but have heard very mixed reviews, including a terrible one recently on BBC, any personal views?
    Absolutely any hints or tips about any aspect of Florida most welcome.

cheers

Ian

Florida Savvy
    welcome ian, i am a fairly new member myself.
    i hope you have a great time in orlando. looking at your avatar i'd say you deserve a change of luck!!?

anyway you would do well to plan your route from the airport to your villa and include a trip to the supermarket. you almost certainly won't feel like going back out again, unless you intend to find a restaurant etc.

there will almost certainly be a Walmart or Publix close to your route and you will get all you may want from them.

As to Kennedy, it is very subjective. If you are interested, you will enjoy everything you see. My experience, with my wife and two children, then 11 & 8, was that they yawned their way around and couldn't wait to leave. I went back two years later with a friend after we left the rest of our families at Discovery Cove.
    One thing if you do decide to go. If its a bit chilly in Kissimmee the day you go, it will be quite a lot colder on the coast.

Whatever you do, you will be certain to have a great time.

jr

Florida Expert
    Hi Ian and welcome to the forum, everyone is helpful and friendly here, so I'm sure that you will get lots of welcome and replies.
    There are lots of supermarkets, Publix, Walmarts etc., around off the main highways so you are sure to pass one on your way to your villa. My family really enjoyed KSC, however, they are older teens and into space travel. Younger ones might get bored.
    Linda and Drew
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1610.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Ian

If you tell us which community your are staying in I'm sure someone will be able to give you exact directions to your nearest supermarket so as to save you time when you first get there.

Be careful though, on our first visit we went for 'essentials' and nearly came out with a canoe - you won't believe it when you see inside them!

Kennedy is OK for enthusiasts and really if you are going over to the coast - Cocoa, Melbourne, then it's worth a visit - I prefer the beach though, especially the beach bar on the pier..

We have been lucky and seen shuttle launches twice from the beach. I don't think there is anything scheduled until Dec ??? - someone will know...

I envy you on your first visit - it's so amazing the first time( and any other time!) - and I'll bet you will be back!

Maggie

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Ian, Welcome to the forum.

You'll find all the info and advice you need for your holiday from all the guys here - just ask away.

You'll have a fabulous time but in those 2 weeks try and get some rest days in between the parks - you'll definately need them.

Re. supermarkets, as Maggie said, let us know where you're staying and we'll provide some easy directions to get you there.

Hope you all have a fab time
    Ann-Marie

Florida Chatterbox
    Not sure where we are staying exactly, I will post it once my tickets arrive.
    we will be there for Halloween, anyone got any thoughts? I have heard that MK is a good one with loads of stuff given to the kids - How much are the tickets?, will they be extra over our 10 day world ticket?

both my boys are heavily into skateboarding etc, is there any recommendations for where to buy the gear (Vans etc)? I'm told its sooooo much cheaper there

Glad I have found this group, looks like loads of useful info.

thanks for the welcome everyone!!!![msnsmile2][msnsmile][msncool][msnwink]

Florida Savvy
    At The end of International Drive on the right hand side is Festival Bay Shopping Mall, this is where you will find a Vans store which also incorporates a skate park. Worth a visit to see some of the kids in action.
    Bernie

Florida Savvy
    You might be interested in checking out these web sites for more information & pictures.

WWW.vans.com/skatepark
    WWW.orlandorocks.com
    Bernie

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Ian

MNSSHP is a seperately ticketed event. Its a bit cheaper to buy the tickets beforehand, adult (over10) $34.95, child (3-9) $28.95 and you save $3 on each if bought in advance. The Disney website has all the dates its on
    Rosie

Gold 5 Star Member
    In the Beltz shopping arcade you could buy a pair for Vans for $30 and get a second pair for half price when we were there at christmas.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah