PDA

View Full Version : Holiday allowance

boo-yeh
05-08-2004, 17:11
Does anyone know how generous employers holiday allowances tend to be in the sunshine state. I'm in the early stages of considering a move but understand that the allowance tends to be less than in this country and it strikes me that it's all very well being there, but if you haven't got the time to enjoy it...

I appreciate that any allowance will be dependent on the type of job but would be interested to get comments on the genral situation.

thanks

florida
05-08-2004, 19:46
Dental Hygienist I recently spoke to told me she got 20 days max including all national holidays. There are some down sides to Florida:(

linda.s
05-08-2004, 20:02
I mentioned this on anotehr post - I am the only UK employee of an American company - When I said I wanted a min of 20 days holiday, excluding bank holiday's, and also sick pay, they fell off their chairs!!! I got it, as it's the norm here, but I only get 2 weeks sick (not that I have used any in a year!) However, my US colleagues get 20 days for both sick and holidays. (Though I believe that my company is quite generous, and they do get bank holidays as extra's, which is rare!) They can, if they wish, take all 20 days as holiday, however, any sick time will then be unpaid. As I said, apparently, they give more than normal US companies, unless you are talking about huge corporations, such as Ford or GM, then it's better.........

Ann-Marie
05-08-2004, 20:03
My friend who lives in DC is a Property Manager and, after 5 years, she now gets 3 weeks plus public holidays.

esprit
05-08-2004, 20:16
It depends where you work. Big companies and public employers are more generous but most places give far less than the UK statutory 20 days. Low grade employees get no holidays at all and if they take time off dont get paid for it. Some mid grade staff only get two weeks off. Most villa renters from the US will rent for 5, 6 or 7 nights max for their summer holiday so allowing themselves a few days spare to be taken at Xmas and Easter and other times. There are more bank holidays here but there is no obligation that these are paid and only public buildings are obliged to shut, many commercial workplaces work through. Our cleaners take bank holidays off if the buildings are shut but are unpaid. We felt weird about this when we took over the business but were told it is the industry norm here and what those workers are used to and we would be considered odd if we did anything else.

boo-yeh
06-08-2004, 16:37
So my 7 weeks a year plus bank holidays is going to be a bit of a tall order then...??!? [msnscared]

esprit
06-08-2004, 20:03
Tee hee, rolls about laughing!! The thing is you move here for the sunshine and then never see any!! I reckon most holidaymakers get more pool time in two weeks than I see in a year:)

Silver Dollar
15-08-2004, 00:16
From the people I've met here, most get between 1-3 weeks a year. Nothing for the first year either.