PDA

View Full Version : What do you buy ?

PollyA
03-08-2004, 15:29
Are there any things much much cheaper than in the UK[?]Or are there anythings you just can't get in the UK that are readily available in Orlando [?]
I always stock up on mascara in Walmart its a snip compared to what I pay at home.
I just wondered if anyone else had made good buys.
[msnsmile]

sandra777
03-08-2004, 16:30
It seems almost everythings is cheaper than the UK. Can anyone think of anything that is more expensive in Florida?

Nostromo
03-08-2004, 16:35
It depends on what you are looking for. In general, I think the others would agree that most things are cheaper in the USA then in the UK. But, you have to be careful that in getting an apparent smashing bargain, you don't lose out on quality. Most sales in Belz type mall shops are safe and if you happen to be in the right place at the right time (which is not all that difficult :)), you can end up with unbelieveble value for your money. But if you are shopping in Flea Markets and such, avoid electronic goods or anything that can break down.

As to specific goods, almost everything is cheaper in the US. Cosmetics, toileteries, clothes, footwear, CDs, DVDs etc. My wife buys almost all her clothes in the USA, including some UK brands like Alexon. I found that one of the best bargains in the US is for Outdoor Gear, which is ridiculously expensive AND often of lower quality in the UK. I have bought Outdoor stuff from the likes of Cabela's, LL Bean etc for years at less than half of what it costs here.

Cruella DeVilla
03-08-2004, 17:41
Whatever I can fit into my suitcase and I am not joking!! Mostly from Walmart and the Outlet stores not telling what ones as you might buy up my stuff!!!!;)

wilfy
03-08-2004, 18:56
Sarah has a thing about quilt's/bed throws etc. We always come back with at least one. Yup we have another one to bring back this time.
:D

porky
03-08-2004, 20:11
I bring home a strange assortment of things.
Jeans, trainers,undies, dip (especially the french onion one), thick aluminum foil, ziplock bags,fruits of the earth aloe vera for my son - he uses it as hair gel and swears by it,:Drazor blades for son, his sister and me, cows tails, cinnamon chewing gum for my mum, white owl miniature cigars for my dad, sheets, horesradish mustard, mountain dew, chips ahoy (both for daughter), pain killers, camera batteries, huge jar of montreal steak seasoning for me barbies over here plus any nice tops I have found at a bargain price.:D

Jacqui

KarenScott
03-08-2004, 22:48
I have to ask cow tails?
[:I]

linda.s
03-08-2004, 23:20
Sports gear is a must!! As the whole family tend to live and die in trainers, trackies and t-shirts, we stock up on them! Last time we were there, we bought some of the Nike "soft" trainers, can't remember what they are called! Anyway, hubby wore his once or twice, and decided that he didn't like them, so about a year after we bought them I put them on E-Bay. Sold for £40.00, and we paid $17.00 in the sale for them! Not bad eh? This October, we will have at least one empty case going out!

brizzle
04-08-2004, 00:39
Always a pair of Vans trainers, then hit the clothes shops and buy any bargains to be had.
A few designer T-Shirts are normally purchased as well as other more wintery tops.

The wife finds the Gap jeans fit her better over there (sounds weird I know but she is only 4'10 with generous hips ;))

Oh and of course lot's of Big Red chewing gum, cinnammon strips and Reece's peanut butter cups (or Reece's pieces) :)

Brizzle

linda.s
04-08-2004, 00:41
Reece's peanut butter cups - drool - [msntongue]

fiona
04-08-2004, 02:44
It might be easier to say what don't we buy!

Teenage daughters = born to shop = heaven (for them!). Me and the gals buy make up at the POM (premium outlet mall) where you can buy Estee Lauder, Mac, Clinique and Bobbie Brown at reasonable prices - last season's colours plus classics. However, we always stock up at the airport with basics - skincare etc as is so much cheaper for Clarins and Lancome than in the shops. (Otherwise I only buy when there is free gift at home - can you tell I was a promotions manager for Helena Rubinstein in my youth?[msnwink]). Benefit and things such as EL compact refills are - even in Maceys or Bloomies - in $ what they are in £s.

Clothes - good but you must search out. For those of us who are built for comfort rather than speed you can usually find a reasonable choice at LBV (Lake Buena Vista) and the department stores and the Florida Mall. Found 2 prs of jeans in a shop I just discovered this time at the mall. Undies and nighties.

This time I have bought back bedding - we have a super-king bed here at home - spice rack - again in $s what I would pay in £s at home. Calendar - more choice. If you want mass market books then Walmart and Target are good, other books seem to be more expensive that an home.

Gals buy up Abercrombie & whatsit, Gap and Old Navy, every pr of trainers they can find, although this year's fashion appear to be us oldies would call plimsolls - but in every colour under the sun. Beals Outlets seem to have those.

And of course the chewing gum - they bring back enough to sink a battleshiop - well almost!

porky
04-08-2004, 15:18
Karen,
Cows tails are sweets which my daughter adores. According to her they are chewy sticks of vanilla fudge surrounded by a soft caramel fudge type coating. :D

Jacqui

timfawson
04-08-2004, 16:53
For us it has to Jockey boxers for the boys and Victoria's secret for me, Then jeans and Vans shoes plus any other bargains we can find !!!

PollyA
04-08-2004, 18:57
Many thanks to you all for the great ideas.

mprince
05-08-2004, 11:37
the montreal seasoning is amazing and also we buy another sesoning called Adobe

timfawson
05-08-2004, 14:39
Forgot to mention no holiday to Florida is complete without a trip to Edwin Watts to stock up on golf balls !!!

porky
05-08-2004, 15:23
Forgot to add glue to my list:DMy Welder glue has just run out so I shall be bringing a tube of that back with me. Hubby uses lots of araldite type glue and we always bring loads of that back with us. Have been known to get funny looks from Walmart staff as we empty the shelf of it:D:D:D

We used to bring back loads of DVDs as well but don't bother now as the son has found an internet site where he can get them cheaper. Suits me, as they were usually orders from him and he conveniently forgot to pay us for them:D

Jacqui

fiona
05-08-2004, 17:48
Forgot to add DB's purchases: golf balls, gloves, trousers, shorts and polos and occasionally clubs!

FerrariD42
10-08-2004, 19:02
We will be buying lots of Triaminic cough vapor patches in cherry menthol flavour. We discovered them when my daughter developed a cough while in Orlando. They really were a miracle, whenever the kids have had coughs which have kept them awake at night, the vapour patches have ensured a cough-free sleep-filled night. We've missed them since we ran out and these are definitely top of our shopping list this time!!!

FerrariD42
10-08-2004, 19:05
Another product to look out for is Kellogs Froot Loops, they are wonderful nutricious and child-friendly breakfast cereal, when we returned from our last holiday 3 years ago, Kellogs promised them in the UK by the end of the year - we are still waiting, so will probably bring some back with us this time.

chrizzy100
10-08-2004, 22:08
I wish I could do my shopping down there for the year...I could half my food bill.....I save a $ on most things.......:(

Bigblue33
11-08-2004, 01:29
cheese Doritos,I know you can get them here but they taste different...honest! Nike B/ball boots although my wife does not want me playing b/ball again....Nike tops,shorts,t-shirts,trainers ect..addias...reebok...jeans...shirts....comics! found a great comics shop just up the road from the Forida mall..superb!

Don.

traceya89
11-08-2004, 02:12
kraft do a really good paremesan cheese, which is kept on the grocery shelf. I bought two last year and have just run out. it is really cheap over in walmart.

if i had a big container to ship home I could easily fill it .........need i say more!

last year we went for halloween and ended up with nearly a pillowcase full of sweets to bring home, luckily we got away with excess baggage charge.

ahagan
31-08-2004, 15:26
I will have to get my husband to read this thread as he can't get over the things I bring back.

And I thought I was the only one who went mad on shopping. Most of the things already mentioned here plus Honey Dijon sauces [msntongue], 5 litre bottles of Sangria [msntongue], glasses, stationery, Peanut butter and jelly spread etc etc etc .

E. Cosgrove
31-08-2004, 23:28
Liz Claiborne shoes the ultimate in comfy shoes!
OPI nail polish, cheaper than back here.
Tylenol PM works better for me than melatonin when it comes to jet lag and periods of poor sleep. Neosporin cream .. great first aid.
Clothes for the big guy's {my son!!)
Big sized trainers....UK 14 US 15.. my son again :):)
The list is endless, unfortunately the suitcase isn't bottomless........CDV leave some bargains for me ;) only 7 weeks and 2 days now:D:D

amy
31-08-2004, 23:49
We bring back vicks inhailers my husband swears by them (as endorsed by Colin Baxter)
Crates of hershy choc's, and anything else to fill the empty suitcase!
I can't beleive friends took out 4 cases and brought back 3 she can't see the bargins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris jones
26-10-2005, 23:34
Too add to all of the above loads of Timberland stuff esp boots $40.00 as opposed to £90+
watches from the LBV Fossil shop to sell on Ebay, 501's ( I live in them).

Reeces peanut cups definatley and york peppermint patties!

Also a fantastic toothpast and deodorant from Tom's of Maine.

We have some friends going over at Xmas so they will have a shopping list.

Chris

Macka
26-10-2005, 23:42
Okay Okay enough already, YOU'RE STARTING TO SCARE ME NOW!!![:O]

Vicks Inhalers? Glue? Peanut cups? Fruit loops?

You're not kidding you're a bunch of fruit loops allright.[:P]

What must the Americans think of us? I bet the customs guys have a laugh.

(Personally, Kraft Ranch dressing and paintbrushes.)

chris jones
27-10-2005, 19:15
Paintbrushes and salad dressing ?

I normally pour mine on not paint it.;)

chris

Macka
27-10-2005, 19:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris jones
Paintbrushes and salad dressing ?

I normally pour mine on not paint it.;)

chris
[/quote]

Haute cuisine Chris, it's a Kraft.[msnwink]

Fourdents
27-10-2005, 19:43
Chris

Another Reeces Peanut Cup fanatic.....shall we form a RPC Club LOL LOL[msnsmile2]

I have had strict instructions from my daughter not to come back from Fl. without at least half a suitcase full of RPC's.

gosh that time went fast !!![msneek][msneek]

Linda

Macka
27-10-2005, 20:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fourdents
Chris

Another Reeces Peanut Cup fanatic.....shall we form a RPC Club LOL LOL[msnsmile2]

I have had strict instructions from my daughter not to come back from Fl. without at least half a suitcase full of RPC's.

gosh that time went fast !!![msneek][msneek]

Linda
[/quote]

I've never tried one, I'll puit it on mmy list of to-do's.

mr flibble
28-10-2005, 03:37
Hi:)

It has to be A1 STEAK SAUCE[msntongue][msntongue][msntongue]
never seen it in the UK.
WE NORMALLY BUY A ROAD TANKER FULL OF A1[msnwink]

mizzy
28-10-2005, 13:53
Hi
it was my first time in orlando so i was a real shopping virgin luckily i had my sis in law who is a old hand at shopping in florida to guide me

there wasn't enough time to shop as much as we would have liked

we brought back 3 pairs Scholl shoes these are between 30-40 pounds at home but we paid $16 a pair in walmart

also got my son a fab grown up suit so he can be just like daddy a real bargain from walmart again only $29

i was so impressed when he tried it on i went back and bought another one in the next size up

we spent loads in Ron Johns and we went to some place that was a bit like TK Maxx where i got lots of clothes for my daughter who is only 12 but needs a juniors size

3 different ariel buddies for the car from a disney outlet shop

and a big jar of red laces (sweets/candy) for the rest of the class at school they tasted disgusting but the kids love them

oh and another suitcase form Walmart!! to fit it all in

:D

Mizzy

McjohnjM
28-10-2005, 14:49
Two teenage daughters we buy just about everthing from make-up to clothes, but best buys for the girls are jeans, Paul Frank top,(Less than half the price of UK) and Timberland boots or shoes, these are a must as so much cheaper than home. We are off to Florida for Christmas so we will really stock up as only buying one outfit before they go and you know what teenage girls are like has to be one new outfit for every day of the holiday.

Good luck with the shopping

Kim & John

mizzy
28-10-2005, 20:30
Forgot to mention

we brought back 4 jars of Goobers peanut butter and jelly all swirled up together in the one jar

looked very pretty but i never tasted it

my eldest daughter age 12 loved it so it was probably disgustingly sweet

Mizzy

bargainqueen
22-02-2006, 21:30
Last year in Walmart I found Aussie shampoo and conditioner, they do sell it in UK but half the size and twice the price. It's also not the same consistency. I also buy the equate products for showering they have always added to the range each time I go.

I prefer the clothes in USA as they are not so skimpy, they fit better and it doesn't feel as bad if you have to buy a size 16. I hardly shop in Uk so get a years stock in one go.

We also have a King bed so this year I will be replacing my pillows. I have a bed in the bag set which I haven't used yet but always look to see if any others are on sale.

CCollins
14-03-2006, 23:36
I thought it was just me who loved the Aussie Shampoo. I normally buy a few bottles and bring it home. Walmart normally has it on s for $4.00![msnwink]

emm
15-03-2006, 00:05
Aussie products for me too! I buy loads of the Aussie Mega conditioner - it's half the price and twice the size in Walmart!! An excellent bargain. [msnsmile2]

bargainqueen
03-04-2006, 14:59
Back with loads of Aussie products, found that they had bigger bottles on sale with pump dispensers. Bought Mega and Moist conditioner plus smaller bottles of the dual, definately enough to last a year if not two. Yesterday hubbie was shacking his head at the amount he found displayed on table.

He hasn't found the handbags yet, well when Walmart reduced them down to $3 I couldn't resist[msnwink]

vanessag
04-04-2006, 04:55
My thing is bedding (Macey's is good), magnification mirrors, clorox bleach pens, kids did enjoy fruit loops but it did send their poo's a funny colour!!

Susan J
04-04-2006, 13:40
Clorox Bleach Pens?

vanessag
05-04-2006, 06:47
They are little pen type things, one end is like a felt tip, the other end is like a little scrubby brush (for larger areas), the pen contains a bleach stain remover, fantastic for removing stains on whites and does the grout on tiles too!!

Benny24
06-04-2006, 03:20
Is there an LL Bean outlet in Orlando? Someone mentioned it at the top of the thread. I went to the big 24hr one in New Hampshire, be great if there is one in Florida!