PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Direct - Trip 16th - 30th July

Angua
02-08-2004, 21:06
Now this is a kind of third party report as it's about my friends who travelled to Orlando with Travel City Direct in July. I did ask them to join the Forum to post their experiences but they suggested that I did this on their behalf to help other travellers. I think they were feeling a bit battle weary about the whole experience and if you read on, you'll understand why.

My friends' were part of a group of 10 adults and children travelling from gatwick to Sanford with Travel City. They had booked a 6 bedroom Villa on Emerald Island. All went well with the booking and arrival of the tickets etc. After visiting the Community, I did suggest that they ask TCD for a Villa away from the worst of the construction, which they did.

Their first tip to you all is about booking park tickets through TCD. My friends bought their tickets from a seperate source which was cheaper and gave them actual park tickets but some of their family bought tickets, direct from TCD, which were vouchers. Unfortunately, the vouchers were in the name of my friend, because she had booked the holiday for them all. This meant that my friend had to go and collect the tickets from Orlando. Remember this when booking your tickets.

The flight over to Sanford in Sunshine Upper-deck was fine, although they did have to ask the check-in staff to open a priority check-in desk at Gatwick for them as all of the staff were working on the rather large Economy queue.

On arrival at Sanford, their luggage didn't come off first as it's supposed to but this is nothing unusual no matter what airline you're with. Once the luggage had arrived, they collected their hire cars with no problem and went on to the TCD desk to pick up the Villa details.

The lady on the TCD desk tried to give them a 6 bedroom Villa on Southern Dunes and my friends explained to them that they had made a mistake, that they had booked a villa on Emerald Island. TCD advised that there was a problem with their booked villa and that this was the alternative. Our friends and their family had specifically booked Emerald Island because of it's central location and stood their ground, asking to see a Supervisor. At this point, apparently, the staffmember became quite rude and said that the Supervisor knew all about it and there was no alternative, they would just have to stay on Southern Dunes.

After further arguments, the TCD staff said that they could do nothing about it all because it was all down to Florida Vacation Homes (a UK firm, they said) who arrange the Villas and that my friends would have to sort it out direct with them. More arguments ensued where my friends said that TCD should sort this out with Florida Vacation Villas on their behalf. The staff explained that they could do nothing at that time because of the time difference between the US & UK and they should go to the Villa in Southern Dunes and call Florida Vacation Villas in the morning. After much wrangling, my friends did manage to get a couple of call cards from the staff at the TCD desk so that they wouldn't have to pay for the call.

The Villa in Southern Dunes was lovely and they were all very impressed. However, a vote was taken in the morning and the general consensus was that they would rather move to Emerald Island because it mean't less driving. Now I've stayed at Ridgewood Lakes which is just up the road from Southern Dunes and we didn't notice the drive at all but there was only the two of us and we weren't in a convoy!

A phone call was made to Florida Vacation Villas in the morning and they were asked why they hadn't called before! Apparently, the Company are contactable at all times so the Travel City desk had lied. A chap at FVV explained that there had been a build-delay with the property they were to rent but that he could make other arrangements if they wished. All the calls from Florida Vacation Villas were prompt and very helpful. My friends went to view a brand new property at Emerald Island which had just had it's f

neilr
03-08-2004, 11:36
The other lesson appears to be "just use TCD for the flight and car rental"..both appear to have been the smooth parts to this story!!!

Angua
03-08-2004, 12:39
You're right, Neilr, except...... I'd forgotten to mention that their flight home was delayed by two hours and my friend's seat wouldn't stay in the upright position, none of the reading lights worked and a blind was missing from the window directly beside them so they had full sun in their face on the way home. Oh and the steward was a right moody so-and-so who woke them up to make them shut the one blind that did work for the benefit of other passengers while they had to stay awake with sun in their faces..... but at least it meant that they still had some light to read by.

[msnscared]

steph_goodrum
03-08-2004, 13:03
Talking to a family at a boot fair the other day who had returned from Florida last week with Travel City Direct, she said never again they would stick to Virgin in future but wasn't sure whether to book the whole package with virgin holidays or independantly. You can guess what my advice was to her.

Angua
03-08-2004, 13:13
Yep "B.I.Y" is the way to go (book it yourself).

I also forgot that my friends suggested you keep your Villa door locked when you're at home. The plumber walked straight into the house without knocking or ringing and was quite put out when confronted by guests asking for identification.

jovi
03-08-2004, 16:31
Hi, just wanted to say that we had similar experiences with Unitours:( and Delta[}:)] We have been with TCD a few years ago, my mother in law booked it and there was 12 of us, we had no problems and would definetly go with them rather than Delta or Unitours!! Everyone has their own good and bad experiences and so should make their own minds up i think. I'm sorry for that family but I think we all have our own opinions on different travel companies.

agod
03-08-2004, 19:46
Hi Angua

There is a thread here on the forum about sewage back up, it happened to me at my mine, 10 months after the build so I feel it was a large blockage, rather than a kinked pipe, We travel with TCD, flights and car hire, and yes we do a lot of waiting around, as there is only the two of us, we upgrade the to sunshine first, or the upper deck, it is very hit and miss, and the stewards are bad news, one insisted that I put my shoes back on 30 minutes before we landed, trying to explain that they were still a bit swollen and would not go on till we got a bit lower, was a no, no, she really kept hassling me, and it got quite embarrassing in the end.

Alan

Angua
03-08-2004, 22:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jovi
Hi, just wanted to say that we had similar experiences with Unitours:( and Delta[}:)] We have been with TCD a few years ago, my mother in law booked it and there was 12 of us, we had no problems and would definetly go with them rather than Delta or Unitours!! Everyone has their own good and bad experiences and so should make their own minds up i think. I'm sorry for that family but I think we all have our own opinions on different travel companies.
[/quote]

Of course you're right.[msnsmile2] Everybody has a different experience with each holiday company and even a different experience with each holiday! I've used BA or American Airlines for years and never had a bad experience (touch wood;)) but other people I know, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Doesn't hurt to be informed though and, if anyone is concerned, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to check that TCD aren't going to change your plans at the last moment. Making a call from the UK is much easier than trying to negotiate with a harrased tour desk after a long flight.

[amendment]...or alternatively, keep the phone number for Florida Vacation Villas to hand so if you do have a problem with your Villa and can't get any joy from the TCD desk, you know that you can contact them at any time. FVV are extremely helpful.[amendment]

Daniel Snell
05-08-2004, 01:14
Hmmm. Now I was going to book flights with Travel city Direct next year. They seem to be the cheapest for flights but make up for it with very expensive car hire. Cant have one with out the other. Would agree not to get your theme park tickets with them they are cheaper elsewhere.