PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Stores

keith-jacqui
01-08-2004, 15:46
We keep seeing Dollar stores for sale, can anyone tell us if these are a good buy or not for the visa?

blott
01-08-2004, 16:24
You'd presumably need a huge turnover to make these work? The idea is that everything in the store only costs $1 so the margin on anything is likely to be only a few cents. That means they'd have to be in a very populated site with loads of traffic (buying traffic that is). Dare I say that this might be the reason you've seen so many for sale?

esprit
01-08-2004, 23:59
They also seem to be open 8or 9 am to 11 pm seven days a week so you wont see much sun unless you have a large number of employees!!!! Many of them seem to be run by races with a large number of family members like the convenience stores in the UK. I would say otherwise you would work very long hours yourself or have a big wage bill.

keith-jacqui
02-08-2004, 03:08
We thought the same here when we were doing the searches. Also dont have a big family, so dont think it would be for us, don,t mind working, but leaving the UK to work less hours!

esprit
02-08-2004, 03:33
You wont work less hours here no matter what business you are in. The average working week is longer in the US. Some people in jobs work 50 hours plus. I know a nurse who works 70. My cleaners work 9-5 in a day job and then 6-10 pm cleaning offices and one even cleans Saturday morning. The norm is no paid holiday or very little paid holiday
so most people take 10 days off or even less. No statutory four weeks here. In your own business, if you dont put the hours in to stay competetive, you wont survive. Some people here work 24/7. There is no safety net if you fail here, no unmeployment benefit or social security for us and if we fail we lose the right to remain in the US. So we all feel the fear.

linda.s
02-08-2004, 05:06
I second Julie's comments. I work for a company based in Detroit, and I am the only UK employee........... They were horrified when I told them of my expected paid holiday!! They get 20 days there. 10 days paid sick, and 10 days paid holiday. If they want to take it all as holiday they can, but if they are sick, then no pay! I get 20 days of both, but I can't take my sick as holiday........... Oh well!

esprit
02-08-2004, 18:31
You are lucky. Most people here get no paid sick and you are lucky if you get any paid holiday.

keith-jacqui
03-08-2004, 00:44
Thanks for comments all. Last site we were on had hardly any replies, just been here two weeks and finding everyone so helpful with their comments. All the incomes sound good over there, so wouldnt mind doing those hours, at least its in the sun(raining here again now)Looks like we will be coming over soon on the 90 day waiver to start the proper search over there.
Jacqui

chrizzy100
10-08-2004, 08:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
I second Julie's comments. I work for a company based in Detroit, and I am the only UK employee........... They were horrified when I told them of my expected paid holiday!! They get 20 days there. 10 days paid sick, and 10 days paid holiday. If they want to take it all as holiday they can, but if they are sick, then no pay! I get 20 days of both, but I can't take my sick as holiday........... Oh well!
[/quote]

My husbands lucky that he still gets 5 weeks plus.....then so many sick weeks ....a lot of Americans I know get no paid time off.........