PDA

View Full Version : Concert Venue - Ford Ampitheatre Tampa

wilfy
31-07-2004, 19:32
Last night we went to see Rush at the new Ford Ampitheatre at the Florida State fairground in Tampa. This new venue is just off junction 5 or 7 of I4 in Tampa, directions given when we booked are pretty clear.

Parking is a breeze and there is no fee to pay on arrival. (Parking fee has already been added to all concert tickets), However, if you are not local to the area, (which most who read this will not be), make a good study of the local roadmap as when you come to leave, the attendants will usher you out the nearest availabile exit, irrespective of which direction you want to go in. (normal for most concerts). It only took us 10 minutes to get out of the car park, which from 20000 fans is pretty good.

We picked up our tickets at the booking office which is on the east side of the venue. Seating has 10000 in comfortable seats with ample legroom, and another 10000 on grass banking above the seating area.
As it's an ampitheatre everyone gets a good view.

Two downsides:- We brought our own water bottles but were ordered to dump these before entering as they would only allow factory sealed bottles into the venue.
As this is an open air venue, smoking is allowed anywhere, which if you have a problem with people smoking close to you, it may be something to consider on wether to go to this venue.

You face south-ish onto the stage, and last night we had a marvelous view, stage left:- The moon rising , stage right:- the setting sun, and in the far distance a spectacular light show from 3 storms, sheet lightning and bolts - very impressive and Rush giving it loud!

The concert:- absolutely brilliant, Rush are one of my 3 all time favourite bands, and they performed what amounted to their greatest hits over 2 sessions of about 80 minutes each.

Oddball:- first time in a long time have i seen the queue for the gents twice the size for the ladies restroom's, but then as most of the crowd were guys knocking back a few bevvies hardly surprising.

Kiss + Poison are on tonite, and Van Halen are playing in September..

More details about this place can be found at www.fordamp.com