PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye UK

keith-jacqui
29-07-2004, 03:54
Hi, we live in the North West of England and have had a villa in Orlando for the last two years, which we have been renting out.
Now decided to to sell up over here, as we are sick of the wonderful summers in the UK!
Would be grateful for any information on E2 visas, as this is the way that we are thinking of going in. We are presently looking for a business, but not found anything yet.
Any suggestions most welcome.
Jacqui

esprit
29-07-2004, 07:06
Do a search on E2 on here as there is loads on already. The problem with E2 is that it doesnt lead to green card, more relevant if you have kids who could lose the right to stay in the US after 21. You are also tied to your business which has to keep trading and cannot ever retire as your sole purpose in the US is to keep trading and employ Americans. It os the visa I am on and most people on here will know I wish I was on a different visa which lead to green card. I would also say that being a villa owner is NO preparation for living here and you have no idea of how hard it is being in business here until you have done it. It is nothing like being on holiday, The weather is fantastic but I see little of it, too busy grafting!!

keith-jacqui
31-07-2004, 01:22
We understand that its not going to be like a holiday. Also do not expect to see much sun out there, well not at the start anyway. Just want a change and something different, working hard here and not getting anywhere nowadays. We also have quite a few of friends and family out there, so we have an idea what life is like for them. The advice we have received so far is to go for the E2. But it has seemed to be taking so long from over here trying to find something, especially as we now realise that the brokers only want to sell the business and not look out for the person that they are actually selling it to. Now thinking of coming over on the visa waiver as a few people seem to be working it that way. Watched the Get A New Life programme on tv here last night and that certainly isnt the way we are looking at things.