PDA

View Full Version : Family visa?

keith-jacqui
29-07-2004, 03:28
We are looking to emigrate shortly and are wanting to bring my mother with us as a dependant relative, she has lived with us for the last ten years. Can anyone offer any advice on this?

blott
29-07-2004, 04:26
If you look back on previous threads in this section, I think I'm right in saying that you'll find that your mother will only be able to stay for 6 months maximum in any 12 months on a B2 visitors' visa.

Anyway, check out the previous threads where you'll find more reliable information posted previously in response to similar questions.

esprit
29-07-2004, 08:26
Not possible as a dependant. Mum can do B2 for 6 months but that is it. The only dependant relatives you can bring on E are your spouse and your children under 21. I do know of someone who tried to do 50% E2 with his Dad and bring his wife out as his dependant relative, That didnt work out for him as the business he bought was deemed not sufficient to support two households. That seemed to intimate it might have worked with a larger business. You could enquire of an attorney whether it would work in your case.

Seminole
29-07-2004, 23:58
Right Julie, I don't see how the mother could come over with the rest of the family. Also, if she is elderly, there would of course be major health insurance concerns. If she has a serious medical condition requiring hospitalization prior to being able to return to the UK, the expense would be enormous.

esprit
30-07-2004, 06:48
Health insurance is bad enough at our age ( 50) so it would be a major concern for anyone elderly. Could be very expensive.

keith-jacqui
31-07-2004, 01:33
We have been told by a immigration lawyer and a immigration consultant (british) that it would be possible to bring her over as a dependant.

esprit
31-07-2004, 07:21
Be careful. They will tell you what you want to hear to get your business. They may mean 6 months only on a B2 and then extending it but that is only a temporary solution. There is no retirees visa and only a spouse and kids under 21 can be a dependant on any visa. Get it in writing before you pay anyone any money that they will get Mum a dependants visa on your E2!!!!
PS I know a lot of people here who would love to be able to bring elderly parents over and they cant. Even a green card holder cant sponsor his parents, it has to be a citizen and it takes yonks!!

keith-jacqui
05-08-2004, 01:27
I think we have listened to too many of them now, certainly found some bad ones as well! Realsie now that a lot of them do just want the money off you

Jacqui

esprit
05-08-2004, 06:41
Are you going E2?? Contact Lesley Sillitto at www.investorvisausa.com. If she tells you you can bring your mum with you, you can and if she says you cant, you cant. There are people out there who will tell you anything is possible just to get your business. What skin is it off their nose when you get the visa and Mum doesnt?? Lesley has a reputation and a success rate which she is proud of, she tells you what will work and what wont. Sometimes it hurts because you will be told what you dont want to hear, but better to know now than when you have thrown $6000 down the toilet.

keith-jacqui
05-08-2004, 23:21
Thanks for all your informed help on here so far Julie, we have just emailed Lesley to ask her which eay to go next, will keep you informed.

Thanks