PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast - which area is best?

mikegreg
27-07-2004, 17:03
Hi All

Next August (6th) we want to rent a villa on the Guf Coast but as we've never stayed down there we need advice as to which area is best. There will be 6 adults. Ideally I'd like a waterfront or beachfront in a really nice area.

Come on you experts your advice is badly needed[msnsmile2]

Many thanks
Jan

Ruth
27-07-2004, 17:12
Well we are at Rotunda at the moment and love it. The Cape Haze/Englewood area is lovely. There are loads of great beaches and fab shopping/eating;)We are going on a boat trip this afternoon with a friend and can't wait as last time we went we saw dolphins:)

We have also done the Keys several times but unless you dive I would say this area is better:)

foxfirelane
27-07-2004, 20:15
Naples is best. Well I would say that as that is where my villa is !!!

Naples does seem to have the best shops/restaurants/golf/beaches that I have seen on the Gulf.

Remember though that renting somewhere that is actually on the beach on the Gulf Coast will cost a small fortune.

The good thing for you is August is not high season in Naples.

andrewmckay5
27-07-2004, 20:58
Hi Jan,
are you staying in Orlando and then driving down ? The reason i ask is that the distance you want to drive from Orlando may be a consideration: Sarasota about 1 1/2 hours, Rotonda area 2 1/2 and i think naples about 4 1/2 but i'm not sure.
I do know in the Rotonda area the beachfront places are very very expensive. Rotonda itself has a load of villas on canals but the area is not as "cosmopolitan" as Naples and Sarasota.
Our web site has a page of infomation links about the local area. DM meif you would like the web address.

regards
andrew

Lizzie
27-07-2004, 21:38
Hi Jan
Ive been looking for my daughter who wanted St Petes/Clearwater area for 3 nights, beach or waterside! Accomodation is a lot pricer than Orlando and owners are more rigid ie min. booking 7 nights, Sat-Sat only. Because she was flying in and out of Orlando she did not want to drive too far for 3 nights - found her a Penthouse condo, overlooking intercoastal, sleeping up to 6. Good luck [msnwink]

starkie
28-07-2004, 00:38
\hi Jan,

We always go to Siesta Key, Sarasota. It has one of the best beaches in the world. The sand is white and like flour. Sunset;s on beach so special.
The village is very nice, a few bar, restaurants shops etc.

Hope this info is useful

Regards
Julie

andrewmckay5
28-07-2004, 01:15
John and Roger,
I know i have a vested interest as a Gulf Coast villa owner but is it worth having a new section about the Gulf in the "public" area. People could then put in recommendations about the different areas and whats available etc. Not trying to compete with Orlando but I'm sure a number of people are interested in the Gulf but don't know a lot about it.
If Jan who owns a villa in Florida is struggling then general holiday makers might not have a clue.
Possibly this thread could be moved there to get thiongs moving.
Just a thought
andrew

the teacher
28-07-2004, 03:04
Hi Jan
totally agree with the point made about the prices of beach front property on the Gulf, very expensive.
our place is on rotonda and allows for the 10 minute drive to the beaches or a few holes of golf.
its a beautiful area to explore with the flora, fauna and wonderful barrier islands.
dm me and i'll give you my website.
good luck searching[msncool]
lyn

Ruth
28-07-2004, 09:45
We were at Siesta Key on Sunday and although the sand and the facilities were very nice I have to say I think the beaches at Cape Haze are much better. We went out on a boat today and saw LOADs of dolphins, although they were too quick for me, I only managed one photo. We stopped at the beach at Don Pedro State Park (next to Boca Grande by Cape Haze) and the beach was fantastic. No life guard unlike Siesta Key but then we were the only swimmers on it. The water was so warm it was like being in a bath. There were excellent facilities, toilets, showers, BBQs and picnic tables. After the fantastic day I have had I feel like I have been to paradise and back again. I like open spaces and hate crowded beaches and to me Cape Haze/Rotunda/Englewood is perfect. It has all the above but is within easy reach of shops and restaurants for when you want them. I think Andrew's idea of moving this thread into the public area is a good one by the way:)

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ruth/200472853941_27.07.2004.015.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ruth/200472854532_DonPedroBeach.jpg

andrewmckay5
28-07-2004, 13:14
Ruth,
just like it says on the advert; that is a "deserted beach":D
andrew

foxfirelane
28-07-2004, 14:41
Just a note on distances.

If you want to come as far down as Naples then it is at least a 3 hour drive.

But nearly all my European visitors fly into Miami, which is only 1hr 20 from Naples.

Occasionally I get people whoc fly into Orlando, have a few days at the Parks, then down to Naples, then fly home out of Miami. The best of both worlds I suppose.

neilbrunton
28-07-2004, 14:42
We have just stayed on Anna Maria Island just above Sarasota in a water front villa. There were 6 of us staying in it and cost around $1600 for 8 nights. I have attached some photos. The villa has 2 boat docks and fronts right onto the internal waterway. It also had a 42 ft pool. we spent many an evening spotting Dolphins and Manatees.

Neil

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/neilbrunton/2004728104054_villa1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/neilbrunton/2004728104119_villa2.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/neilbrunton/2004728104145_villa3.jpg

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-07-2004, 15:42
I've just created a new area for Gulf Coast things and have moved this post in there. The pictures look absolutely stunning [msnsmile]

Cruella DeVilla
28-07-2004, 16:53
We like Fort Myers where we fly into. We also visit Sarasotta which is nice: Siesta Key, Arnie and Jery Springer live there so lots of of cash needed! My favourite is Naples after a proper visit there last month, previoulsy we had only driven through. St Petersburg, Clearwater also nice. Bck off to Naples ourselves at the end of August, loaded with hard earned cash, where it will be gobbled up!! :(

andrewmckay5
28-07-2004, 19:31
There is talk of direct flights from the UK to Fort Myers. I also have guests flying into New york so 7 hours instead of the 9 1/2 to Orlando. Getting immigration out of the way in New york and then a 3 hour internal flight to Fort Myers and walking straight out into the Gulf area.. I believe that the planes on the internal flights have more room than the trans atlantic economy flights but can't swear to it. Will be able to say after xmas when i'm taking the Fort Myers - JFK route home.
andrew

anna maria freak
29-07-2004, 14:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikegreg
Hi All

Next August (6th) we want to rent a villa on the Guf Coast but as we've never stayed down there we need advice as to which area is best. There will be 6 adults. Ideally I'd like a waterfront or beachfront in a really nice area.

Come on you experts your advice is badly needed[msnsmile2]

Many thanks
Jan
[/quote]

Hi, Jan
we have booked a villa right on the gulf at Anna Maria Island and will be staying there this October if you would like I can DM the details, This will be our 5th time staying on the island each time on the beach,but dont expect the same level of luxury you would find in an Orlando villa but do expect to pay at least 3 times the price [msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry] lots of realy good but expensive restaurants some with entertainment at sunset, good shopping at St Armands Circle, Ellenton and Sarasota. you will definately see dolphins and manatees almost daily, and if lucky and depending on time of year, turtles.:)

Lorraine

Ruth
29-07-2004, 17:00
Hi Lorraine,
You can find villas of the same standard as Orlando and at a very reasonable price, you just won't be right on the beach. Have a look at the Gulf coast villas on this site and you will see what I mean:)

anna maria freak
29-07-2004, 17:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Hi Lorraine,
You can find villas of the same standard as Orlando and at a very reasonable price, you just won't be right on the beach. Have a look at the Gulf coast villas on this site and you will see what I mean:)
[/quote]

sorry Ruth, [msnembarrased] I wasnt rubbishing villas on this site I was speaking of gulf/beachfront, which you rightly say are not available from this site. Beach villas tend not to be as luxurious as inland mainly because of the sand etc which degrades everything, merely trying to assist someone who requested info regarding beach villas.

Paul/Lorraine

Ruth
29-07-2004, 17:51
Don't worry, Paul/Lorraine, I know what you mean:). I know that there is at least one waterfront villa on this site with Gulf access, although it is not beachfront.

Ruth
30-07-2004, 08:28
Well we leave for Orlando tomorrow and I will be sad to go (although very glad to get to our villa in Orlando ;)). For our last night we went on a walk on Englewood beach at sunset. The turtles are nesting there and the beach was so clean it was fabulous. Here is a picture to give you an idea:)

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ruth/20047304281_SunsetEnglewoodBeach.jpg

andrewmckay5
30-07-2004, 12:16
Fantastic Ruth

the teacher
30-07-2004, 16:42
[msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool]
WOW!!
fantastic ruth!
we arrive in rotonda late saturday night and we'll be on those beaches early next week. can't wait.[msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool]
flying jfk/atl/srq---long but the cheapest we could find.
cheers everyone
lyn

Martin R
01-08-2004, 14:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
There is talk of direct flights from the UK to Fort Myers. [/quote]

Which airline is this that might be introducing direct flights to FM ?

andrewmckay5
02-08-2004, 00:29
Martin,
not sure I'm afraid. I know i've read an article somewhere and also we filled in a questionnaire sent to us as overseas owners about the route. I don't know how these things work but possibly the route is approved and then the airlines bid for it?
Just a thought and maybe some of our plane fans can give us the answer.
andrew