PDA

View Full Version : Should Football Shirts be Allowed into Disney

neilbrunton
26-07-2004, 20:04
Should Disney ban Adults from wearing Football Shirts in the parks.

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Florida and Orlando is full of them. We spent a week on the Gulf coast first and didn't see any.

chris
26-07-2004, 23:12
Football shirts are made of a material which dries really quickly so is ideal for water rides etc. I think some of them look really smart.

ctgirlscout
26-07-2004, 23:12
I guess I don't understand the question....Why would Disney need to ban football shirts (jerseys)?

george
26-07-2004, 23:57
Or should we ban t shirts that say Florida in case it upset people from other parts of the USA?. Footie shirts are fashion to many people. They are also great value for kids, even at the inflated prices, as mums can wash and dry them time and time again. Unlike some other clothing. Why not ban US Football shirts or Hockey or Baseball shirts at the same time?. If we did start bans on types clothing this would mean Rob Day would not be able to wear his Union Jack sorts, vest, socks and knotted hankie. Please don't rob the rest of the world this sight!!:D

MMFAN
27-07-2004, 00:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
I guess I don't understand the question....Why would Disney need to ban football shirts (jerseys)?
[/quote]

What they mean are soccer shirts, which is football everywhere but the USA. Some soccer team fans are more "fanatical" than American Football fans, and there is a higher potential for confrontations I assume.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-07-2004, 00:10
Disney do in fact have a dress code - they mentioned it on our Keys To The Kingdom Tour - basically you have to wear shoes and cannot be bare chested. Also if you clothing offends people (t-shirts with rude words were mentioned) then they would be asked to turn the t-shirt inside out and if that fails they will not be allowed in the park.

I certainly do not think it stretches to football shirts [msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
27-07-2004, 00:56
I think if Disney did ban football shirts our son wouldn't go out of principal. He wears his shirt with pride, win or loose. And as previously pointed out they do dry really quickly.[msnsmile2]

wilfy
27-07-2004, 01:06
Would disney then also ban all us college football shirts/NFL/MLB/NBA shirts?

Ray&Sarah
27-07-2004, 02:24
Wouldn't it be a boring world if we were told even when on holiday what we can and cannot wear.[msncool]

Andy & Arlene
27-07-2004, 02:31
Have I missed something here??? Why should they be banned. Some football shirts are nicer than some shirts I have seen people wearing in the parks. In fact that's all my boys wear and as has been mentioned they're great for drying quickly after getting soaked on some of the rides.

Cruella DeVilla
27-07-2004, 12:36
Personally I voted no as I do not see what harm it does. Although....sorry for this.. I hate to see people dressed in football shirts, especially at night....Brits on tour springs to mind..
Backlash welcome it is only my opinion!

neilbrunton
27-07-2004, 14:14
We have noticed that over the 8 years we have been visiting Orlando the number of Football Shirts have increased from almost nothing to the current level. Could Orlando be turning into the new Benidorm. Will Orlando be renamed Costa Orlando and will we be eating all day fry up breakfasts and be flooded with British Pubs and Karaoke.

If this is the case will these people be staying in villas or will they be in a $29.99/night hotel room on International Drive.

Neil

anna maria freak
29-07-2004, 15:45
Voted yes as wearing football shirts from where we come from can cause a lot of bother depending on which team you support, also agree with Cruella they are unsightly and should realy be kept for football matches,but saying that my brother insists on wearing his :(cringe, but not evenings

Lorraine

Cruella DeVilla
29-07-2004, 18:36
Lorraine, not a Glaswegian by any chance? Hey and btw Elvis is not dead he married us in Vegas 4 years ago!!!! We love him to? Have you been to Graceland? Magic place!

Cruella DeVilla
29-07-2004, 18:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by neilbrunton
We have noticed that over the 8 years we have been visiting Orlando the number of Football Shirts have increased from almost nothing to the current level. Could Orlando be turning into the new Benidorm. Will Orlando be renamed Costa Orlando and will we be eating all day fry up breakfasts and be flooded with British Pubs and Karaoke.

If this is the case will these people be staying in villas or will they be in a $29.99/night hotel room on International Drive.

Neil
[/quote]
Mr CDV hates Orlando for this very reason!

anna maria freak
30-07-2004, 21:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Lorraine, not a Glaswegian by any chance? Hey and btw Elvis is not dead he married us in Vegas 4 years ago!!!! We love him to? Have you been to Graceland? Magic place!
[/quote]

Not Glasgow but worse,just outside Belfast,Havent been to Graceland yet[msnsad] but begging Paul to go, I think it may be on the cards for next year 30th anniversary[msnwink][msnwink] he would need to come up with something special or I won`[msnmad][msnmad]be a happy
bear.

Lorraine

neilr
31-07-2004, 00:06
It might help keep the queues down during British peak visting periods!!

I'd vote for anything that helps that!!

[msnsmile2]

sonofsos
31-07-2004, 14:07

Neil
[/quote]

Can't believe this above statement. The more people who has the chance to experience Orlando the better and if that includes Singing Football shirt wearing, pint drinking, fry eating Brits who can only afford $29.99 rooms on International Drive then good luck to them.:(

cherry
06-08-2004, 06:00
I think it is embarrasing to see an overweight middle aged brit walking down I drive wearing a full Brit footie team outfit ,less the boots that were replaced with trainers .Sad to see people who cannot dress properly for their age .Then again I have yet to see many well dressed Americans ,perhaps we are following their trend and becoming dress slobs .

jolliffee
06-08-2004, 17:11
Think this is an English thing since my Scottish friends always make a point of commenting about it (mostly in Spain) but then I always point out to them why the Scots don't wear football shirts.

Contemplating the thought a little as I wait for the first family visitors to arrive this summer (still very hot on the coast); would we have the same problem with rugby shirts, I see lots of Americans wearing Basketball and US Football shirts but maybe you didn’t recognize them, and we and they wear college shirts all the time. So is it just we have a thing against the team shirt; I suppose if they all had Liverpool shirts on it wouldn’t be a problem eh! Chuckle chuckle..
[msnsmile2]

pieman790
06-08-2004, 18:27

Neil
[/quote]

I have worn my football shirts for many years now not only in this country but all over the world including several times in Florida. I am not only proud to wear it but they are as people have already said they light weight easy to wash and take up very little space in the case. You should be able to wear what you want and when you want when you are on holiday. Just because i wear my football shirt whilst i am on holiday doesnt mean that i am a football hooligan or that i am lowering the tone of the place. I have stayed in $29.99 hotels on international drive but now own my own villa in Kissimmee and still wear my soccer shirts.
As for Benidorm i was there last year on holiday with my family and i have to say that we had a great time. It has gone well up market compared to what it used to be(still one of the most visited places in Europe, nearly 5 million people stayed there last year) and we would return there again in future if the opportunity arose.

Magical Dreams
07-08-2004, 13:06
As Disney is a internationally known organisation, company, employer, contributor, brand, they could not afford to ban football shirts or any other kind of sports wear unless it was offensive.

People come form all over the world to visit Wlat Disney World and most say that is where they are going for there holidays, Florida is usually mentioned after the fact.

I personally think it is great when you see all the different shirts being worn in one place, it makes you realise just how popular WDW is, and you are THERE!! in the middle of it all!
Other holiday destinations don't have that appeal!!

Maybe this is my blinkered view of WDW

Cruella DeVilla
07-08-2004, 13:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anna maria freak
[/quote]

Not Glasgow but worse,just outside Belfast,Havent been to Graceland yet[msnsad] but begging Paul to go, I think it may be on the cards for next year 30th anniversary[msnwink][msnwink] he would need to come up with something special or I won`[msnmad][msnmad]be a happy
bear.

Lorraine

A Glaswegian myself! Family originally from County Tyrone! Oh you have got to go it is majic if you are a fan!

[/quote]

Snapper
07-08-2004, 15:01
I voted no for this as I kind of like the world where people have the right to make their own choices and air their own opinions and points of view. I might not always agree with them but I can live happily with that. I think the world would be a sadder place if this were not so.

If Disney banned football shirts, the next step might be to ban any logo'd t-shirt, then maybe any form of clothing with a label or logo. I would even pose the question, is there any 'real' difference (other than personal taste and opinion) between a football shirt and a thousand dollar armani suit?

If you immediately thought 'of course, the armani suit looks smart' then consider for a moment how 'smart' an armani jacket would look on Splash Mountain. Personally I think the wearer would look like a dork; but that's juts my opinion [msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile]

BTW - I love the question. Makes one think a bit!

CarolAnn
13-08-2004, 19:34
Get both side of the argument:)Honest[msnwink]But, I do cringe a bit at the 'ere we go,ere we go mentality' that is associated with the footie shirt wearing crowd[msneek][msnscared]Sorry[msnembarrased]But, I will take my DB 7 England shirt next time I go and who nows I may even wear it in the parks...and go on a water ride too[msncool][8D][msncool]

crockett
14-08-2004, 21:33
i too wear my footy shirt in orlando & tampa where i go to the soccer shop down there & have some friendly banta with them ive also worn my england shirt & that immediately start conversations off with americans who love the brits but i wouldnt wear them out @ night to a pub or restaurant

John Rocke
09-09-2004, 14:42
nothing wrong with a footie shirt. Passes the time in a long queue trying to guess the more obscure ones.
How people can complain about football shirts without mentioning the French Connection UK shirts and all the variations of them, beats me. They say far more about the wearer.
PS i won't wear a footie shirt because i am at the age where it looks like i've hidden the ball up the front of my shirt.
JR.

eagleydo
09-09-2004, 16:57
I don't wear football shirts but have no problem with others wearing them. If Disney banned them wearing shirts then I personally would not have a problem, I would simply never visit another Disney Park. What people wear is surely down to them (hate the french connetion abbreviated shirts but again that is down to the wearers personal choice.

pieman790
09-09-2004, 17:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
I don't wear football shirts but have no problem with others wearing them. If Disney banned them wearing shirts then I personally would not have a problem, I would simply never visit another Disney Park. What people wear is surely down to them (hate the french connetion abbreviated shirts but again that is down to the wearers personal choice.
[/quote]
I am not a lover of the French Connection t shirts but the person who came up with that idea must be worth a bob or two. I had never really heard much about the company before the t shirts came along.

PaulRocke17
10-09-2004, 00:03
French Connection t-shirts have been banned at many schools in England, and rightly so because they give out such a immature appearance. But why shouldn't we wear football shirts and spread the word of our club!!! They can look smart on most people, and they are indeed practical for damp situations! [8D]

Ray&Sarah
10-09-2004, 01:39
I have no objection to football shirts or French Connection T-shirts, its nice to see such a variety.[msnsmile2]

amy
10-09-2004, 03:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
I have no objection to football shirts or French Connection T-shirts, its nice to see such a variety.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

and nice to see people and reconise then from where they are from, that if of course providing it isnt a Man U shirt..........as they could be from anywhere other than Manchester.:D

Ray&Sarah
10-09-2004, 12:06
Very True, ,my son is a Man Utd supporter (well someone has to be) and he.s not from Manchester or anywhere near!:D

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 12:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke
nothing wrong with a footie shirt. Passes the time in a long queue trying to guess the more obscure ones.
How people can complain about football shirts without mentioning the French Connection UK shirts and all the variations of them, beats me. They say far more about the wearer.
PS i won't wear a footie shirt because i am at the age where it looks like i've hidden the ball up the front of my shirt.
JR.
[/quote]

:D:D:D:D
I have Fench Connection t shirts which say exactly that on them "French Connection"! I know the ones you are talking about though as my husband hates those ones to!
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 12:30
French Connection has been around for donkeys, the rude t shirts just made more people sit up and notice, (omebody must have gotr a large bonus)!!!. It is not a cheap shop either so most people are paying upto £30 for those rude T shirts. Mine are just either long or short sleeved with the words "French Connection" on the front. I am not allowed to buy the other ones, Mr CDV disapproves!!!!!!

Nigel W
10-09-2004, 13:10
French Connection are now replacing the slogan you are all reffering to and changing it to something else not sure what though! There was a big piece about it this weekend in one of the sunday papers.

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 13:24
They have the 4 letters which we all know about but they also have a dozen or so other rude ones each year. One recently said their "slogan" and then like rabbits. If you get my drift! Wonder if they will do away with those to as they can be offensive to some people. Still got that article Nigel?

John Rocke
10-09-2004, 13:59
looks like i have caused a slight deviation off topic, but the gist would appear the same. It's all about what people find offensive or at least cringe inducing.
Most youth trends tend to shock the mainstream and that is to be expected but when it becomes the mainstream it just lowers down to the tacky and vulgar ( which football shirts aren't)[msnwink]

blott
10-09-2004, 16:15
Anything's better than a vest T-shirt! :D

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 18:44
String one!

Carla
10-09-2004, 19:32
Far too many people are only too willing to judge others and call for a ban on something, just because they don't like it.

Lighten up, live and let live, and then do as you would be done by!! :D:D:D:D

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 20:07
[msneek]

John Rocke
10-09-2004, 21:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Far too many people are only too willing to judge others and call for a ban on something, just because they don't like it.

Lighten up, live and let live, and then do as you would be done by!! :D:D:D:D
[/quote]

fair enough, but string vests should not count.

Phil and Mel
13-09-2004, 19:13
Totally agree with you Carla. Just because people wear football (soccer) shirts does not necessarily make them a hooligan.

What many people have also negated to mention is that not all football hooligans wear football shirts!!

It's the individual people that causes the "bother" not what they are wearing

pieman790
13-09-2004, 19:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Phil and Mel
Totally agree with you Carla. Just because people wear football (soccer) shirts does not necessarily make them a hooligan.

What many people have also negated to mention is that not all football hooligans wear football shirts!!

It's the individual people that causes the "bother" not what they are wearing
[/quote]
There are more likely to wear designer gear than a football shirt

E. Cosgrove
13-09-2004, 20:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]

and nice to see people and reconise then from where they are from, that if of course providing it isnt a Man U shirt..........as they could be from anywhere other than Manchester.:D
[/quote]
I totally agree Amy. Mancunians usally support the "other" Manchester team [msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
13-09-2004, 20:36
I read in the paper that some pubs and clubs in Leicester have banned anyone wearing Burberry, Aquascutum and Henri LLoyd. None of that is cheap either, all designer names.. where will it all end[msnsad]

Cruella DeVilla
13-09-2004, 20:43
[quote]Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I read in the paper that some pubs and clubs in Leicester have banned anyone wearing Burberry, Aquascutum and Henri LLoyd. None of that is cheap either, all designer names.. where will it all end[msnsad]
[/quote

Liz,

Burberry are stopping making their caps as apparently it has been adopted by th "hooligan" element! How's that for business practice!

rosie
13-09-2004, 22:10
Could this be why perhaps? :D:D:D

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/rosieuk/2004913181020_april020.jpg

Ray&Sarah
13-09-2004, 22:18
Love the car, but don't think I would personally want one.:D

E. Cosgrove
13-09-2004, 23:06

Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
[/quote

Liz,

Burberry are stopping making there caps as apparently it has been adopted by th "hooligan" element! How's that for business practice!

My son loves his Burberry cap....perhaps that was why the police stopped him last week[msnoo]
They claimed it was because he was a young driver driving a high performance vehicle... his Dad says it was probably the Burberry cap[msnsad]
Buberry cap + BMW = nicked car[?][msnwink]

LiesaAnna
13-09-2004, 23:21
just thought i'd ad my twopenneth worth....... dont like them but dont see the problem with them as someone else has said the material drys quickly if they get wet on the rides, on the whole i think they can look smartish!!!!! providing the wearer dosent have a can of beer in his hands................[:p]

pigletsplace2003
13-09-2004, 23:40
As long as they are all Arsenal shirts.:D

LiesaAnna
13-09-2004, 23:41
"BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION" come on seagulls!!!!!!!!!![:p]

Cruella DeVilla
14-09-2004, 02:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pigletsplace2003
[/quote]

Oh Mr CDV would like you!

Cruella DeVilla
14-09-2004, 02:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
Could this be why perhaps? :D:D:D

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/rosieuk/2004913181020_april020.jpg
[/quote]

Rosie,
Where did you pull this gem from? That's Gross, reminds me of Daniella Westbrooke dressed head to toe in Burberyy and her kid the same, just proves money can't buy taste!!!!

rosie
14-09-2004, 10:56
CDV I could be really mean and say its one of Michaels friends cars :D:D:D but I'm afraid not, but it is local to here, I'll DM you the site it came from, scary ........[msnscared]

E. Cosgrove
14-09-2004, 11:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pigletsplace2003
[/quote][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]