PDA

View Full Version : Brit thing that you miss most

Nostromo
23-07-2004, 16:55
People (including Brits themselves) comment that Brits often tend to look for things to remind them of home while on holiday. Orlando is a fairly Brit friendly place, but there must be something that you miss after all. Here is a list of possibilities:

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-07-2004, 17:05
I'd vote for "Nothing" if there was an option. I'm quite happy to immerse ourselves in America when we are there and live as best we can like locals.

If I did have a complaint it would be the TV programs but having said that there has not been anything worth watching here for a while now so I would not miss anything. Not that we spend much time watching TV anyway [msnwink]

hamptonlakes
23-07-2004, 17:15
I total second Johns comments and when and if i get the chance i would emigrate to Florida with my family - no questions asked.[msnsmile2]

Mr G
23-07-2004, 17:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I'd vote for "Nothing" if there was an option......[/quote]

I agree, nuff said.;)

Cruella DeVilla
23-07-2004, 18:02
ONLY THE SOAPS:D

chrizzy100
23-07-2004, 18:05
You need to add Brit humour......you really really miss that after living here a while........

Mr G
23-07-2004, 18:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
ONLY THE SOAPS:D
[/quote]

OK Camay. Lux, Imperial leather... have I missed any ;)

Cruella DeVilla
23-07-2004, 19:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
You need to add Brit humour......you really really miss that after living here a while........
[/quote]

You are joking! There are more Brits in Orlando than any other nations apart from the locals!!!!;)

rosie
23-07-2004, 19:50
Hmmm been wracking my brain trying to think of something I miss and I can't think of anything yet, will post again if inspiration ever strikes :D

blott
23-07-2004, 19:59
Where's the "nuttin' at all" slot then?

Nostromo
23-07-2004, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Where's the "nuttin' at all" slot then?
[/quote]

Well, 'Nothing' could count as 'something else' I suppose. :D

chrizzy100
23-07-2004, 20:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

You are joking! There are more Brits in Orlando than any other nations apart from the locals!!!!;)
[/quote]

But I don't live there.....I live on the Cape in MA...where there is about 8 famlies that we know of......and they live all over.......not local......

jolliffee
23-07-2004, 21:10
Nope nuffin missed. I'd leave it all behind without a thought, if the Boss would go for it.

chrizzy100
23-07-2004, 21:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Nope nuffin missed. I'd leave it all behind without a thought, if the Boss would go for it.
[/quote]

I love it when people say that before moving.......:D
I remember thinking the same way.....you soon miss little things.....like church bells.....gravy....the small of washing from the line....British bird song.....street lighting so so can see the exit on the highway.....good plumbing.....plugs you can turn off at the wall.....chatting to mums at the school gate.......walking to the shops.....having your windows open.....etc.....

I don't miss the crime....dirty streets...the yobs........etc......

daxon
23-07-2004, 21:59
Something about grass always greener on the other side ????!!;)

chrizzy100
23-07-2004, 22:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daxon
Something about grass always greener on the other side ????!!;)
[/quote]

It has been in our case.......we are a lot better off over here......but you still miss things......I know I'd miss even more US things if I went back to England now......you just can't win......

caroline
23-07-2004, 22:54
Ah but that's the difference Chrizzy, you live there we're only over on holiday.
I never miss anything wherever we've been on holiday, but I'm always glad to come home.

weemac
23-07-2004, 23:11
The only thing i miss about Scotland is a nice cool glass of Irn-Bru (You English wont know what this is probably!) the morning after a few too many beers. It is a great cure for a hangover!![xx(]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-07-2004, 23:17
Us too - Florida is great but I would not want to live there. We like home here in the UK way too much [msnsmile2]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Ah but that's the difference Chrizzy, you live there we're only over on holiday.
I never miss anything wherever we've been on holiday, but I'm always glad to come home.
[/quote]

chrizzy100
23-07-2004, 23:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Us too - Florida is great but I would not want to live there. We like home here in the UK way too much [msnsmile2]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm having second thought about leaving the Cape......its like a very safe clean England......I'm not sure about living in FL full time.....I'm glad I have a few more years left to think about it.......

bridget
24-07-2004, 01:55
[/quote]

You're always glad to come home?! We never are, pass me the Prozac -I still feel low after nearly a week back. [msnscared] Perhaps my jaunt to Amsterdam in a few days will perk me up. heh

NickClark
24-07-2004, 03:10
The one and only thing that I ever miss is a Good indian take away. I have never managed to find an indian restaraunt anywhere in the world that is as good as in UK. Is it just me??? [msntongue]

chrizzy100
24-07-2004, 04:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NickClark
The one and only thing that I ever miss is a Good indian take away. I have never managed to find an indian restaraunt anywhere in the world that is as good as in UK. Is it just me??? [msntongue]
[/quote]

Don't say Indian takeway anywhere near me......it makes me cry.......[msncry][msncry][msncry]

Magical Dreams
24-07-2004, 04:16
Voted for Something Else - or NOTHING

When we go to Spain, you tend to miss home a little because of the language barrier.

But in Florida, You usually feel you belong there so miss nothing.

One thing I miss on the last day when packing to go home is the first day, knowing that you have just arrived!!

Does that make sense??

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Lyn
26-07-2004, 00:59
I always miss English Bread, we managed to find a loaf that was just about edible, but when we toasted it it was awful.

When we go (we have just arrived back today) we travel around for a week and very rarely here an English accent, then we go to Kissimmee and shop in Wal Mart in the 192 and you hardly hear anything other than an English accent. I know mine is an English accent to but when in Rome!!

Nostromo
26-07-2004, 02:10
[/quote]

Have you been to India? ;)

Carla
26-07-2004, 03:40
Try the WalMart on US27, down near Southern Dunes. The staff there are incredibly helpful (unlike those in the WalMart on the 192) and nothing is too much trouble. You hear many more American accents than Brit ones and they seem to cater to the locals from around Haines City.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
When we go (we have just arrived back today) we travel around for a week and very rarely here an English accent, then we go to Kissimmee and shop in Wal Mart in the 192 and you hardly hear anything other than an English accent. I know mine is an English accent to but when in Rome!!
[/quote]

esprit
26-07-2004, 06:35
I really miss British TV,especially Corrie. And cornish pasties, Hollands pies, Mr Kiplings cakes, sherry trifle, proper chips ( fat ones oozing dripping and malt vinegar), roast lamb with mint sauce and roast spuds, treacle pud and custard!! For my husband it is his Maynards wine gums and for my son his Walkers ctips and pickled onion Monster Munch. And English tea. But I do get well supplied by forum members.
Oh and I would agree about a decent curry. I live here BTW, never m missed anything when I was on joliday.

Lyn
27-07-2004, 00:20
You can buy Walkers Crisps at the British shop in Old Town and at the Food Court at the Mercado

timfawson
27-07-2004, 23:47
The thing that I miss when in Florida is walking to the shops !!!
Nearly resolved this one as when we were last over there we bought bikes so now we can cycle to Publix on the 27. We can go round the back of all the estates .

Ana
28-07-2004, 02:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
I really miss British TV,especially Corrie. And cornish pasties, Hollands pies, Mr Kiplings cakes, sherry trifle, proper chips ( fat ones oozing dripping and malt vinegar), roast lamb with mint sauce and roast spuds, treacle pud and custard!! For my husband it is his Maynards wine gums and for my son his Walkers ctips and pickled onion Monster Munch. And English tea. But I do get well supplied by forum members.
Oh and I would agree about a decent curry. I live here BTW, never m missed anything when I was on joliday.
[/quote]
We'll bring u some Mr. Kiplings in Oct!

neilr
28-07-2004, 19:58
Family and friends are the only thing I miss!!

[msnembarrased]

CarolAnn
29-08-2004, 15:18
No...........Can't think of anything I miss at all at the moment:)Perhaps if I stayed longer, and the pennies ran out I might realise there was something[msnsad]

KirstieLou
03-09-2004, 17:30
Proper Sausages!!!

And the 1st night back home in the UK we always go to the chippy[:p][:p]

carol c
03-09-2004, 17:44
I realy miss the chippie also.And of cause british weather

(NOT):D

UK Jane
20-09-2004, 16:44
The only thing we (as a family) tend to comment on, when in Florida, is the lack of fresh cream (as in a bowl of strawberries and cream as a dessert) and fresh cakes that actually taste of anything.

And to be honest, if that is all we can find to comment on, then we don't actually think it is much of a hardship.

However, when we get back home, then that is where the fun really starts. How many times have we said 'If only we were back in Florida, the choice would have been so much greater' ?

I'd swap my lifestyle to live out there, at the drop of a hat.

Jane & Barry.

Champagne
07-10-2004, 16:49
Miss chocolate - haven't found any choccie bars we like in Orlando, they're all too sweet.

Nostromo
07-10-2004, 18:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Champagne
Miss chocolate - haven't found any choccie bars we like in Orlando, they're all too sweet.
[/quote]

I agree, but I don't like the typical English Chocolate either - too rich and too milky (Mars Bar-ugh![xx(]). I prefer really dark, bitter chocolate, preferably with a bit of liquer [:P][:P].

domster
07-10-2004, 19:47
CORRY,

DOM

Southsider
07-10-2004, 23:42
Nothing I miss - except when I get home I miss feeling like Twiggy instead of Miss Piggy!!!! LOL

Tricia

big momma
09-10-2004, 13:23
The only thing I miss is finding a good range of vegetarian foods in the supermarkets- such as Quorn fillets, veggie sausage and bacon etc, and Im not even a veggie, but hubby is so we end up living off cheese and tomato pizzas. Hope vegetarianism (?) will have caught on a bit more for the time we go back next year.

WR1
11-10-2004, 00:14
[quote]Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I'd vote for "Nothing" if there was an option. I'm quite happy to immerse ourselves in America when we are there and live as best we can like locals.

I'm with you [msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
15-10-2004, 00:00
I'd miss 4 different seasons in a year, takeaway curry and having a choice as to whether I should tip money to everybody who does the slightest service for me!

Doesn't mean that any of the above will stop me going on holiday there though!!!

Calamity Jane
16-10-2004, 01:43
Would just miss bread, tea and most of all the family (:() other than that nothing at all:D

julieanne
17-10-2004, 17:16
I love Fritolay salted chips.
But I do miss Walkers cheese'n'onion....

And the soaps and the footy..

But I gladly miss all the above for time in Florida

E. Cosgrove
17-10-2004, 18:18
I miss work and the English weather........................................... I also tell fibs[msnwink]

bryj
22-10-2004, 03:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

Have you been to India? ;)
[/quote]

I spend my life travelling, including India, and I'd have to agree with Nick- altho I dedicate a significant amount of time to curry research, there are very few places can do what we get in UK, not even in India. This is true, Indian food is lovely, but just not quite to the standard of back 'ome.

Sadly, my quest must continue.........