PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly to

Nick Sayer
21-07-2004, 18:46
Probably been mentioned before but i thought i would put it on here anyway, might save someone a few quid.

I have just bought a five bed on Liberty village near Terra Verde, Cumbrian lakes etc.

Flying out at the end of August for closing and a friend mentioned that it might be cheaper to fly to another airport other than Orlando or Sanford as this is where all the holiday makers go.

Looked the other night at BA and Virgin just to get an idea and if i fly into Tampa it was about £150 per person cheaper than the other earlier mentioned airports.

I figure that the drive from Tampa would be approx 30 to 45 mins further away than Orlando but being presumably a smaller airport with less holiday makers and kids, i think it would probably be much quicker getting through arrivals and getting your hire car.

Has anyone got any ideas that may scupper my plans or flown this way before?

porky
21-07-2004, 19:36
I've flown this route several timnes and am doing it again in September/October. As you say, it is a lot cheaper but I can't say I noticed much difference in timing - but then again I only take hand baggage so don't have to wait for my suitcases.

Jacqui

linsan
21-07-2004, 20:57
We flew to Tampa last April with BA and it was great. It seemed so much quicker to get thru customs and immigration. We did experience delay in picking up our hire car but that was because they only had 2 people on the desk and a large queue of people who hadn't booked a car to deal with. The drive is ok and straight forward along I4 as most properties are in the US27/I4 area anyway.

Nostromo
21-07-2004, 21:03
I have seen posts saying that a 45 to 50 minute drive from Tampa to the US27 villas might not be a lot longer than the airports or even save you time. With Sanford, you may clear the formalities quickly but the drive, taking into account the traffic, toll-booths etc, will easily be an hour. With MCO, it is the passage through Immigrations and Customs, (plus the wait for car hire, if applicable) that takes time. So, you will not only have a relatively smooth passage through Tampa Airport, but are likely to have a reasonably comfortable drive to the villa. In my opinion, worth considering if the flight is good value.