PDA

View Full Version : worried about plane seats

Epic
18-07-2004, 01:46
ive booked my seats with virgin already and ive booked the two at the back of the plane.i was thinking this would be great as i know you get up to 3 inches more legroom.having read some old posts on here though im a little worried about the flight now.it seems that people are saying dont sit at the back as its more turbulance prone
and a very awkward flight.has anyone sat on these seats that could tell me there experiences and let me know what its really like.if its that uncomfortable id rather change my seats whilst i have time.thanks guys

Emma

chrisj
18-07-2004, 01:51
We have sat at the back before and had no problems, the way I look at it a seat is a seat
and people say you can sit at the front and get off the plane first, woweee so what your
on holiday relax and have fun. Cant be bothered rushing off the plane to be first at immigration
etc. I like to chill out and just go with the flow.

Nostromo
18-07-2004, 01:53
I have sat at the back a few times and to be quite honest, it made little difference as far as turbulence was concerned. But there could be other potential problems, like proximity to the toilets and/or the galley.

The best seats for leg room are those on the front row of each block (or section) on either side. The central row is usually behind the bulkhead but the lateral rows have no seats in front of them and are great. I've successfully requested these seats a couple of times for my elderly in-laws. The only thing is that these seats are poorly placed for the in-flight movie.

Ray&Sarah
18-07-2004, 01:57
Agree with Chrisj, although we would avoid the very back seat of each section as these seat tend not to be reclineable, but the one in front is. The result very limited space for the person at the back. If you get 'wound' up easily, sitting at the back will mean you are one of the last of the plane, resulting in you having a long queue at immigrations,and the chances are you will also have a long wait at the car rental desk.

Geodan
18-07-2004, 01:57
Hi Emma
I've sat at the back on a lot of flights, and have never noticed any more turbulence sitting there, than say the middle of the plane.

Do you think 60 or so feet further down the plane would make any difference to any turbulence that may occur?

If anybody has got any scientific proof that you get more turbulence at the back than you do at the front, then i'd be interested to see it.

Emma,the decision is yours.

Keith.

steph_goodrum
18-07-2004, 02:37
We actually have requested the 2 x 2 rows at the back on the last few flights (with Virgin) and on the next. We've found they are one of the best prebookable as far as space goes. With 3 in a row muggins usually gets squashed in the middle. They are a bit noisier as they are behind the wings so you get a bit more noise from the engines but not signficantly. Other advantage is that food is served from the back and the front of the section so you usually get the choice you want.
We opt for these and then if there aren't any bulkhead or upgrades available we're happy with them. The seats on the back rows recline and it means coming home if we want to put our seats back and sleep we dont disturb or get disturbed by anyone behind us.

RIS
18-07-2004, 02:52
Re the turbulence issue. Of course the whole plane is subject to the same turbulence however it is supported by the wings in flight thus when it’s bumpy as you fly it feels quite choppy ( small oscillations ) if you sit near the wing however if you sit at the front or back the bounces have lower frequency but greater amplitude thus some people thing that it’s more turbulent. The longer the aeroplane the more noticeable the effect.

rosie
18-07-2004, 03:55
We do the same as steph and always ask for seats in one of the "2's" at the back if there are no bulkhead seats left. Never noticed any more turbulence or noise to be honest probably because on the way out I'm too excited and on the way back I'm asleep :)

jolliffee
18-07-2004, 04:18
I think it depends on the plane, some have the toilets in the back and the people standing near and leaning on your seat could be irritating. I have been in the back a few times and found it no worse or better for turbulence.

adh619
18-07-2004, 04:22
Have sat at the back several times - one problems LOO OUDOR !!!!

[msntongue][msntongue][msntongue]

paddyc
18-07-2004, 05:14
If you're flying with Virgin and concerned about your seat there is a great website that has reviews of individual seats on virtually every Virgin aircraft

http://www.v-flyer.com/seats.asp

In fact virginflyer.com has some great info not just about seats but every aspect of your virgin experience

jolliffee
18-07-2004, 13:16
What a really good link, thanks, I have filed that away for future ref..

dave.parks
18-07-2004, 15:14
Emma im flying with virgin in a few weeks time worried about seating if you log on to( seatguru.com ) it shows differant types of aircrafts all the seating you want and where the toilets are and where its good seating and bad seating.

Epic
18-07-2004, 15:45
Thank you all,ive actually double checked my seats and they are the second row to the back and still only have two seats so im happy.after reading your views i feel quite happy about sitting there now and i dont mind waiting to be last off at least im there and i can sit and chill and watch everyone else rush off:Dthanks all

whlist here im just wondering something else,weve booked our whole holiday with virgin including there transfers so how does this work?do they have a virgin coach to transport all there guests doing the same(if so will they wait for us being last off most probably)or do they do what mears do and transport people as they come,in little groups?if there transporting everyone together i dont want them to go without us if we are delayed getting through immigration[msnscared]as you can tell im a worrier[msnsmile]

Emma

Matt
18-07-2004, 15:57
Emma, I've never done a Virgin transfer, however, I have seen the Virgin Coaches at MCO. I don't know if these are used for Airport transfers or for cruises and things.

Great looking coaches though[8D]

Matt

brizzle
18-07-2004, 16:31
We've done the transfer and it is the Virgin coaches outside the terminal.
Don't worry about the coach leaving, the reps know who is arriving on the planes and will not leave until they have 'checked' you in onto the coach. That's their job ;)

Brizzle

CarolAnn
18-07-2004, 19:25
Emma, when you are on a flight for 9 hours, to be fair is anywhere perfect[msneek]Try to enjoy the fact that you are off to Orlando[8D],look forward to the sun and attractions:Dand flying Virgin( which we have done about 7 times now ) has always been a pretty positive experience[msnsmile]. We aim for the bulk head seats, just for more leg room, but seats don't recline[msnsad]To be honest, struggle to fit in all the things there are to see on the channels, the various food rounds!
Here's hoping your experience is a good one [msnwink]
Happy holiday

Nigel W
18-07-2004, 19:35
We sat at the back once with America airlines, the turbulence didnt seem worse, but the crew were noisey when the lights were turned off so it was hard to get a few hours shut eye

Budboy
22-10-2005, 23:30
Try www.seatguru.com tells you all you need to know (and more) about aircraft seat configurations [msnoo]

flyrr100
23-10-2005, 17:29
This goes for all aircraft:
An aircraft turns about it's center of gravity. Which is usually somewhere over the wings. So, in theory, if you sit in the back or the front you'll feel more movement as the aircraft encounters turbulence. I have a friend who used to be a tail gunner on B52s. He was so far behind the CG he would be almost swinging from side to side as the B52 entered bumpy air. Passenger jets are inherently very stable. They tend to stay in the position and direction the pilot puts them in. So for a smoother ride sit over the wings. But the difference is marginal. Remember, if you sit by the lavs they tend to get smellier as the flight progresses!
I hope this helps.

LiesaAnna
23-10-2005, 22:50
i found no problems at all sitting near the front, we were in rows 7 and 8 on an Excel plane, didnt feel a thing (till i was so ill at the end of the flight)

but on our way home we were on a smaller plane i was told (dont know anything about planes) and sat on the wings!! i hate it cos i am afraid they will snap off! and i will be first to see it!!![msnscared][msnscared][msnscared][msnscared]
on the whole we had a bit of turbelance on the way back and i was convinced the plane was going down!! so i stuck my nose firmly into my book (Angelas Ashes) and watched half an eye to see if the masks were coming down!! needless to say they didnt!! and we all got home safe and sound!!![clap][clap]

sunny guy
24-10-2005, 00:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Geodan
Hi Emma
I've sat at the back on a lot of flights, and have never noticed any more turbulence sitting there, than say the middle of the plane.

Do you think 60 or so feet further down the plane would make any difference to any turbulence that may occur?

If anybody has got any scientific proof that you get more turbulence at the back than you do at the front, then i'd be interested to see it.

Emma,the decision is yours.

Keith.
[/quote]

It has more to do with the actual design of planes, there is more movement but nothing to worry about.

24-10-2005, 01:03
Having flown as cabin crew for over 20 years, and in that time flown on many different aircraft types, working in the rear galleys of those aircraft, I can say for a fact that aircraft with wing mounted engines do have movement in the rear of the cabin, its not like turbulance its more like a swaying or the feeling of being in a slow moving tumble dryer.

if you suffer from motion sickness you will feel it more in the rear cabin[msnscared]

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 01:11
yeh i think we get the picture!! to many details!!![msnscared]

24-10-2005, 01:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
yeh i think we get the picture!! to many details!!![msnscared]
[/quote]

Sorry Liesa what have I said???[msnoo]

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 02:27
wings, motion sickness, turbelance swaying!! makes me feel weird just thinking about it!!
i hate take off and landing then when you get a belting of turbelance i start wondering what on earth possessed me to get on this thing, i hate sitting next to the windows watching the wings bounce and up and down

domster
24-10-2005, 11:01
The seats that are right at the back of each row are normally the ones that don't recline as much as they are right up against the wall partician.

lgordon6041
24-10-2005, 13:10
As Roger mentioned earlier on, if you sit near the end of the plane you will feel slower, bigger bumps as opposed to smaller faster bumps over the wings. The way i look at it is by holding a long ruler in the middle and shaking it or standing on the end of a diving board!

Either way, it is all quite safe. Doesn't help of course if you are the slightest bit airsick or araid of flying. [xx(]

Macka
24-10-2005, 13:20
Well smack my bum and call me a wierdo but I quite like a bit of Turbliance.([msnwink]).

Really, I find it quite exciting. [^]

24-10-2005, 13:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
Well smack my bum and call me a wierdo but I quite like a bit of Turbliance.([msnwink]).

[/quote]

Paul you are very strange[msnwink]

Macka
24-10-2005, 13:23
Unconventional.[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 15:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka

[/quote]

wierdo!!

Macka
24-10-2005, 15:31
I like sprouts as well.

And Cadbury's smash.

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 15:43
i like sprouts[msnwink]

julieanne
24-10-2005, 15:46
i like sprouts[msnwink]
[/quote]

[xx(][sick][sick][xx(]

25-10-2005, 10:30
i like sprouts[msnwink]
[/quote]

[sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick][sick]