PDA

View Full Version : 2nd - 16th July Trip

bridget
17-07-2004, 18:53
Hello everyone. I've just got back from a fortnight in sunny (most of the time) Florida - oh what fun!!

Arrived at Gatwick the day before and used Virgin's Twilight check-in. Got exits seats much to my husband's relief. In fact I would recommend row 25 seats A & B. Next to the window is ok although the exit door juts in a bit but you still get more legroom than the norm. Flight to Orlando v. good, even though we were three quarters of an hour delayed we still arrived 3:15pm local time. Food not great though. It just wasn't 'balanced' enough, but then again it's only flight food I suppose... Whizzed through customs/baggage/Dollar. I was driving our car out of the airport just before 4:00pm but storms were lurking ...

Arrived at our hotel, Holiday Inn Maingate West no problem and got settled. That night we went out to Red Lobster and had some big platefulls of lobster and shrimp washed down with Bud Light (heh!)

We went to Typhoon Lagoon the next day - You fool Bridget!! Got SO burnt... :( even though we were slapping the cream on. Boy, it was really really hot! Good day.

We got a coolbag from Publix and made up some lunch to take to Lake Louise - now I'd recommend that. It was absolutely beautiful and we got some excellent views of wildlife. A heron came down to join us for lunch - he bought his own fat frog and showed us the best way to eat it! Saw lots of water birds, frogs, turtles and snakes.

We went to Magic Kingdom on July 4th. Now I know it was gonna be busy - but it was just stupid. Disney were just money grabbing and letting everyone in. They should have closed it but no, they just kept 'em coming!

Epcot was good too although that was one day the heavens just opened. The thunder and lightning were amazing!

Also had a good day at Animal Kingdom but just going out and seeing wildlife yourself is so much more satisfying but good all the same. We saw the new baby elephant - aw!

Ate far too much. Almost every morning we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast - yummy! But the best by far was Outback - those coconut shrimp are fantastic!

One of our best days was at IoA as we hadn't been before. Left hotel at 8:15am to get there and arrived in about 15-20 mins. But the queue at Universal is stupid!! They need to take a tip from Disney because queuing up for half an hour doesn't do them any favours. But anyhow we went on all the big rides twice. We went on a Sunday and had seen everything by 3pm. We argued over what was the best ride but after another go on both we decided Spiderman won with Hulk a close second. So cool.

Our flight home was at 6:45pm but we went over to Celebration for a look around before we left. We'd never been before and we really enjoyed it. We walked around all of the lakes and saw lots of wildlife again. An aligator and a lovely large owl were the highlights.

So that's a little about our trip. When I get some pics I'll try and post them. [msncool][msncool][msncool]

Bridget & Don

jolliffee
18-07-2004, 03:36
Bridget & Don, looks like you had a great time and managed to get to some of the hidden areas too. I agree with you about the best ride, though Hulk is the best coaster that Spiderman just leaves you with that feeling. Great report can't wait to go back & look forward to the Pic's

E. Cosgrove
18-07-2004, 14:02
Glad you had a good trip Bridget, worried you wouldn't be able to make it when your villa plans fell thro', hows the job hunting going?

Nostromo
18-07-2004, 15:04
A very good, interesting trip report. Looks like you had your Fireworks Display at Epcot after all!

stabard
18-07-2004, 15:25
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. The Lake Louise day sounded beautiful and such a change from the parks.

Even more excited about my own trip now. [msnsmile2]

Epic
18-07-2004, 16:13
sounds like a brill holiday:)that will be us soon woo-hoo:D

Emma

jovi
31-07-2004, 14:56
Hiya, don't want to sound stupid but, where is lake louise?? Been to Florida only 3 times and rushed round tryin to do parks etc, would love to do some other stuff so thought I'd ask and maybe next time we can do something different.
Vicky

KarenScott
31-07-2004, 15:41
Great minds think a like I was going to ask too!

Nostromo
31-07-2004, 17:15
The only Lake Louise I know is in Canada! :D

jovi
31-07-2004, 20:07
Hi, me again, just typed in a search for lake Louise on Ask Jeeves and a few came up, mostly in Canada!! then some Villa ads came up saying close to lake louise which apperently is the states National Park, somewhere along the 192.

phaedra
01-08-2004, 18:33
I think you'll find it's Lake Louisa in Lake County

http://www.florida-secrets.com/HistoricDist/ECdistricts/ECindhis/Lake_County.htm

george
01-08-2004, 20:24
Glad you seem to have had a great trip.
Bridget & Don have you any mor on Lake Louise as it is on our list for September.

bridget
10-08-2004, 13:09
Lake Louisa is just off H27 going towards Clermont. It was about a 20 minute drive from our hotel on H192.

I would have stayed there all day if it wasn't for the intense heat. Take along a coolbag with lots of drinks and a picnic - lovely! There's a small beach area and lots of nature trails but I got a bit scared when I saw some large spiders - yikes!

If you want to bring your own coals etc and have a barbecue you can - lots of facilities and benches to sit and just admire the lovely views around the lake.

Hope you get to see as much wildlife as we did!

jovi
10-08-2004, 15:13
Thanx for that info, don't know when we will go back:( we are in the middle of buyin/sellin our house at moment and hubby said we can't afford to go for at least 2 years[msncry] My mother in law is on about goin back next May and will find this info interesting as she would like to do other stuff other than queing for park rides[:I]
Thanx again,
Vicky.[msnsmile2]