PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Community

MandyfromSheffield
14-07-2004, 17:06
Dear All
We visited Orlando last year with the inlaws and stayed on Crescent Lakes, the villa was outstanding. However, the inlaws did not want to visit a park every day and do not drive so the days they opted to stay at the villa they felt pretty isolated. We are planning to visit again so I am looking for a commnity that has some shops, restaurants etc in walking distance. I would really appreciate suggestions.
Many thanks

chris c
14-07-2004, 20:59
Southern Dunes has a clubhouse with a restaurant/bar. It overlooks the driving range and practice putting green. So it is very pleasant to sit and have breakfast/lunch there and watch the golfers practising.

There is also a big 24 hour Wal*Mart superstore within walking distance, where I myself have spent many a happy hour (not in the drinking sense)!!

There are also some smaller shops there.

wilfy
14-07-2004, 21:03
I would say :-

Indian Wells, The Beuna Vista outlet mall is about 10 minutes walk.
Indian Point, Terra Verde, Bass Lakes etc , Very close to Super Wal-mart, and US-192 shops.

orlandobabe
15-07-2004, 03:03
Creekside and Country Creek just down the middle of the 192 (marker 15) have Walmart with just a 10 minute walk. Also they will probably be only minutes from a lynx bus route if they did want to go further afield.

orlandobabe
15-07-2004, 03:10
Just checked
www.golynx.com

and there's a 55 bus that goes from my end of the 192 (four corners) to the Osceola Mall which links up with the number 10 that goes from the Osceola Mall and onto St Cloud so it certainly seems to cover all of the 192.

While Indian Wells is pretty good for the LBV mall-it may be a bit of a backwater to get to other places IMHO!

esprit
15-07-2004, 07:59
I would say Lake Berkely, nice and near WalMart and the shops that end. Or somewhere like Windsor Palms or Emerald Isle, loads of communal facilities and not too far from Formosa Plaza. Or, if it is for 2005, they are building a nee WalMart at Cagans Crossing and I have to say my own stomping ground of Esprit and Highgrove will both be in walking distance of that.

Gillian-B
15-07-2004, 13:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
I would say :-

Indian Wells, The Beuna Vista outlet mall is about 10 minutes walk.
[/quote]

US192 is within walking distance from Indian Wells (10 minutes - you come out near the "orange shop" just down from Old Town). If your in-laws want to get a taxi, it is very central (7-8 minutes to Downtown Disney) and the closest sub-division to International Drive South. Also, there are community facillities at Indian Wells, including a park/lake they can walk around.

MandyfromSheffield
15-07-2004, 15:28
Dear All
Many thanks for your informative replies. It will be much easier to keep the non drivers hapy this year.
Mandy

porky
15-07-2004, 16:40
Just a quick comment regarding the walking- not much fun to do in the humid months[xx(]:([xx(]

My parents came with us 12 years ago and they walk almost everywhere back home, being non drivers. They decided to go for a quick walk to the local Publix (2 minutes away by car)and some 2 hours later we were getting frantic as they hadn't come back home. We got out the car and set off to find them. We found them thankfully, turned out they'd had to go into a Burger King near Publix- (somewhere they'd never dream of frequenting usually:D)to cool down and rehydrate themselves.They said that short walk almost did them in, the humidity was unbearable and they thought the'd be fine as they'd spent 5 years living in Saudi Arabia prior to this.

So be warned.[msnoo][msnoo]

tuzanne
30-10-2004, 15:52
I agee Porky, I would not consider walking anywhere in Orlando in the height of the summer. However, we did stay at a Days Inn Suite which was right next to the Old Town a long time ago. We found if nice to walk with the then very young kids to Old Town and be able to have the odd drink without having to drive. I am not sure if there are any communities with villas near to places like this. Most places to stay which are very near places like this are hotels, motels and suites. Does any one know different?

So if you want the advantage of having a nice villa with its own pool then you should look at a community with plenty of facilities such as clubhouse, nature walks, sundry shop, etc. on site.

Sue

Nostromo
30-10-2004, 16:13
How about CLEAR CREEK? We stayed at Orange Tree just to the north of it and noticed that Woodridge Plaza next to Clear Creek had Winn-Dixie supermarket, smaller shops, post office, dentist, pharmacy, hairdresser, etc. Quite convenient, I thought.

daxon
30-10-2004, 16:48
Highlands Reserve is right next door to Berry Town Centre - this small mall includes Publix, hairdressers, two takeaways, dollar shop, a nice little book shop with outdoor cafe etc. Theres the advantage of the golf course too but even for non golfers the views over the course are beautiful & its nice to walk around. The club house on site serves drinks of all varieties & snacks & theres a tennis court, childrens play area & communal as well as the private pools.

TINAPETERS
31-10-2004, 00:24
Regal Palms Resort and Spa at Highland's Reserve has a great communal pool with water slide and lazy river, 2 tennis courts, 1 volleyball court, Clubhouse, Restauarant, Sportsbar with live coverage of world sporting events, fitness suite and beauty treatments.
The reason we picked this community was because we will not be visiting the theme parks everyday but still wanted to keep a little boy happy.