PDA

View Full Version : The best Chinese Restaurant in Orlando area?

Angua
13-07-2004, 03:04
I've tried a search but have only come up with either Takeaways or buffets so I'd be most grateful for input.

My friends are leaving for Orlando on Friday and would like to know of a good Restaurant serving Chinese cuisine. They would like a sit-down meal rather than a takeaway and haven't excluded buffets but generally haven't heard good reports of them.

Where is the best Chinese restaurant in Orlando/Kissimmee?

Thanks for your help.:)

Epic
13-07-2004, 03:40
If you can get to i-drive theres a brilliant chinese restaurant there with amazing food and also amazing decor which really adds to the feel of the place.i cant think of the name but its easy to find.its directly across the road from wet n wild and next door to the sky coaster.you might think being on i-drive itll be full of tourists and very busy but weve always found it very quiet/intimate and a lovely atmosphere to eat.try check it out if you can:D

Emma

Cruella DeVilla
13-07-2004, 11:14
There are a few decent ones, there is a chain of buffet style ones, cannot remember the name. I am not too keen on Chinese, hubby loves it but even I had to say it was good, they also do Monogolian BBQ, which took me back to the days when I lived in HK..yum yum. Just look in the phone book they will all be listed.

Angua
13-07-2004, 12:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
......Just look in the phone book they will all be listed......
[/quote]Aaah yes, but will they all be good ones?;) I recall from my searches that people had several that they wouldn't recommend but I wanted to know if there was one or two that they would. I wonder if it's the lack of MSG's that puts us Brits/UK'ers off?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Epic
If you can get to i-drive theres a brilliant chinese restaurant there with amazing food and also amazing decor which really adds to the feel of the place......[/quote]Thanks Emma, I'll pass that on to my friends. Just to clarify where it is, accross the road from Wet'n'Wild but next to SkyCoaster... The only SkyCoaster I know is in Old Town, have they got one on I-Drive now too or is it one of those upward bunghi things? Now that would have some really good views! Just so I can tell them what to look out for.

chrisj
13-07-2004, 12:24
Angua

We found that with no MSG, the food was horrible, even made us unwell for a few hours
after. Might just have been the chinese we used though, it was on the OBT next door
to the Publix. We will try another one this year just to see if it was the lack of MSG
or the place we had our last one.

BarryR
13-07-2004, 13:18
OK showing my ignorance hear, could someone please enlighten me to what MSG is/are with respect to Chinese restaurants ?

chrisj
13-07-2004, 13:30
Its monosodium glutonate - but thats not how you spell it :D:D:D

Angua
13-07-2004, 13:32
It's MonoSodium Glutamate and is used to increase the flavour and aroma of certain foods. It's best known for it's use in Chinese cooking but I understand that it's not used anywhere in America. I love Chinese food but the MSG, I could do without.

Angua
13-07-2004, 13:37
Actually, I take that back. I've just read somewhere that there's even MSG in CocaCola and canned tuna!! I thought they'd banned it in the US? I know that the Chinese Takeaway we visited in San Diego was non-MSG. Perhaps it's not the norm' to exclude MSG?

BarryR
13-07-2004, 14:52
OK so now I know, I've searched it on Google and the first few sites I've seen say it is approved and "safe" and commonly used in the US.

Angua
13-07-2004, 15:14
Perhaps it was because we were in California that there was such a big thing about MSG. I have to say that I prefered the food without MSG, not only because it tasted better but I didn't get that unquenchable thirst afterwards.[:p]

So can I take it that, apart from Emma's I-drive restaurant, there aren't any good Chinese Restaurants in the Orlando area (or perhaps it's not yet been discovered)[?] I've even tried the Orlando Sentinel restaurant critiques but the few Chinese cuisine reviews that there are, are either out of Orlando or just Takeout.

Surely, I haven't stumped the Experts??!!!![msnoo] [msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
13-07-2004, 16:14
It is not particulary good for you and it makes you crave more!!!! I lived in Asia for 3 years and well you can imagine what that was like. Spent most of my time in the HRC eating American food!!!

Cruella DeVilla
13-07-2004, 16:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Angua
[/quote]Aaah yes, but will they all be good ones?;) I recall from my searches that people had several that they wouldn't recommend but I wanted to know if there was one or two that they would. I wonder if it's the lack of MSG's that puts us Brits/UK'ers off?

If you can get to i-drive theres a brilliant chinese restaurant there with amazing food and also amazing decor which really adds to the feel of the place......[/quote]Thanks Emma, I'll pass that on to my friends. Just to clarify where it is, accross the road from Wet'n'Wild but next to SkyCoaster... The only SkyCoaster I know is in Old Town, have they got one on I-Drive now too or is it one of those upward bunghi things? Now that would have some really good views! Just so I can tell them what to look out for.
[/quote]

It is all a matter of taste really. I would not go near some of the resturants that people on here recommend. Trial and error maybe?

BarryR
13-07-2004, 19:47
It's all down to personal taste. We love eating Chinese and Thai food in the UK.
But when we travelled over there and tasted the "real mcCoy" we have to admit that for many of the dishes we prefer the UK interpretation of the original.

And I don't know which contains the MSG - added or natural !

Barry

Epic
14-07-2004, 15:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Angua

[/quote]

Yeah your right im sorry that name is wrong but its got a similar name.its the ride where they simulate falling out of a plane and freefalling(ring a bell?)anyway you cant miss it as its right in front of wet n wild so they shouldnt have a problem.hope they find it okay:D

Angua
14-07-2004, 21:43
Yeah your right im sorry that name is wrong but its got a similar name.its the ride where they simulate falling out of a plane and freefalling(ring a bell?)anyway you cant miss it as its right in front of wet n wild so they shouldnt have a problem.hope they find it okay:D
[/quote]

SkyVenture! I know where you mean now. Thanks for your help, I'll let them know tonight.