PDA

View Full Version : What puts you off most while in Orlando?

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 00:48
No matter how much we plan the ideal Orlando holiday, something or the other is likely to go wrong...face it, we are all human. So let us see what upsets us most while on holiday there?

chrisj
12-07-2004, 01:31
What bugs me and ive said it before is the americans habbit of walking into you, they seem
to walk along blinkered, and its so dam annoying

They always say sorry but after being walked into all day long even an apology wears thin
and a few times ive almost given them a lashing but wifey has stopped me

chrizzy100
12-07-2004, 01:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
What bugs me and ive said it before is the americans habbit of walking into you, they seem
to walk along blinkered, and its so dam annoying

They always say sorry but after being walked into all day long even an apology wears thin
and a few times ive almost given them a lashing but wifey has stopped me
[/quote]

Just do the same back..I never get out the way now......

I can take heat........but I hate humid.........[msncry]

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 01:49
Nothing puts me off more than rain at the inopportune moment. It spoils my whole day. Probably goes back to my childhood in India. My favourite time was Diwali (Festival of Lights) which would be ruined if there was any rain (fortunately rare in late Oct - early Nov). Also, being a cricket fan, I hate rain when it interferes with the game!

bridget
17-07-2004, 19:17
I agree Chris although I find the South Americans are the worst for this. The times people were walking into me when I queued for a ride - am I invisable??! [V]

LesleyB
17-07-2004, 19:59
Something else - Americans who use their children to jump the queue a few people ahead of you when you have been queueing for ages. The kids would just 'appear' in the queue and we assumed they were with the people in front of them and then a few moments later the parents would join them.[msnsad]

chrisj
17-07-2004, 20:34
Lesley

That is terrible

blott
17-07-2004, 21:25
There isn't a 'nothing I love it all' option so I couldn't vote! [msncry]

CarolAnn
17-07-2004, 21:43
The only thing that makes me cringe[msnscared]is the bell hops trying to do everything for me[msntongue]Frankly I don't need my purse to start thinning from day one!!!
Not in to tip for this, tip for that either!
I think I should stay in a villa[msnsmile]Oh! That's right, i will be from now on, Yippeee[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
17-07-2004, 21:55
Hi Nostromo,
I voted for the rain, though I wouldn't exactly call it unexpected.
I also, like Chrizzy , hate humidity...heat and sunshine I love.
We've always had very little rain when travelling in May , June, but August...forget it, we had rain every day.

Newhomebuyer
18-07-2004, 10:18
I put thinning purse because if it wasn't for that I could stay longer.:D

alan360
18-07-2004, 15:40
Waiting in line for a ride, when it is really humid has to be the worst, you stand there melting and there is not a whole lot you can do about it. Don't mind being in line when they have the fans with the fine mist going though, that helps a lot.

Just my two bobs worth.....

traceya89
17-08-2004, 03:38
Unexpected rain and excessive heat are sometimes welcome but queues waste time! and time is precious in florida.

linda.s
17-08-2004, 03:44
I went for something else, as I agree with the barging comments, and I also find people there rude (guests not staff!!!) Rarely an apology, and hardly ever a thank you when you hold the door for someone. I think it's just the custom there, and will try not to be affected by it, but my son was quite upset last time we went, and everytime he held a door for someone, they just ignored him! Doesn't help with teaching manners does it?

jolliffee
17-08-2004, 16:14
Has to be the thinning purse, we'd stay longer if if we could.[msncry]

KirstieLou
07-09-2004, 17:15
No matter how much we plan the ideal Orlando holiday, something or the other is likely to go wrong...face it, we are all human. So let us see what upsets us most while on holiday there?

The flight home:(

thistle1314
07-09-2004, 19:02
I put something else also and agree with the comments on rude queue / line jumpers. I had been told about this before my first visit and it was a rude American family that literally pushed their way in front of my young son. I tapped the father lightly on the shoulder and told him - very politely to get behind me and that I didn't appreciate his tactics. His face was so red he moved but the mother kept giving me the evil eye. I could feel it burning into the back on my neck so I turned round and said to her "problem?" but she averted her eyes and that was it.

I just dont allow it to happen. I'd embarrass them into moving.

chrisj
07-09-2004, 19:09
Well done Helen

Ray&Sarah
07-09-2004, 20:53
Wish i'd had the guts to do that Helen, queue jumping is really annoying, although we noticed it more at DLP. Our European neighbours do no seem to believe in queueing, where as us Brits see a queue and join it just cos its there!:D:D:D

CarolAnn
07-09-2004, 21:47
Not had too bad an experience queue wise in Orlando Disney, but Anahiem was an eye opener[msnsad]Don't think we managed any photos without Japanese folk smiling away with our then 5 yr old and Tigger!!!,[:0]It was mildly amusing to start with, but the queue jumping to get in pictures with characters and get on rides was absolutely unbelievable:(:( We thought we had just been spoilt in Florida[?]Perhaps times are changing eh?

pigletsplace2003
13-09-2004, 23:46
Has to be my plastic taking a bashing. Expanding waistline is another [msncry][msncry]

big momma
18-09-2004, 17:33
It just has to be the mother in law, in the car we had a running commentary of everywhere that she could use a toilet(Which she needed about every half an hour)and of every eating place(which she also needed about every half hour) Thats a lot of listening to mother in law, when covering hundreds of miles. Not learnt my lesson though cos shes coming with us again in Oct 05!

LesleyB
18-09-2004, 19:13
I would get some ear plugs for the next trip, big momma:D

Nostromo
18-09-2004, 19:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by big momma
It just has to be the mother in law [/quote]

Can't say I have problem with my Mom-in-law - she's an absolute self-sacrificing angel. But my father-in-law - well that's a different story altogether.:(:(:(:(

Ruth
18-09-2004, 19:45
Ditto Nostromo:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Can't say I have problem with my Mom-in-law - she's an absolute self-sacrificing angel. But my father-in-law - well that's a different story altogether.:(:(:(:(
[/quote]

ellie
18-09-2004, 19:59
Has to be 'coming back'![msncry]

Ellie

ellie
18-09-2004, 23:47
Meant 'coming back home' - whoops sorry!

Ellie

UK Jane
22-09-2004, 22:19
Rental cars, where a 'No Smoking' sign is clearly displayed, but as you get into it, you immediately notice that whoever was cleaning it out, moments before you get the car, did not bother with that courtesy.

CarolAnn
22-09-2004, 23:43
Yuk Jane! Yep! That would put me off!

amy
23-09-2004, 02:08
Surly it has to be the thought of returning to the UK.

drifting
03-02-2007, 22:56
I was really surprised that no one said the immigration service? Not from personal experience, as I tend not to have a problem as half my family are American, and they can see that I keep leaving! But I have had a few friends say they would *never* go through that again, and now holiday in other parts of the world.

Must admit I have always flown into MCO, the last year was quite a hoot, as the immigration guy was actively encouraging me to become a USA citizen. Something about being denied the right, Long story about family history....I pointed out if I wanted to I could get my sister to sponser me, he smiled and said "Get onto it"

Paul.

caroline
04-02-2007, 00:34
I'm not surprised nobody said immigration - just like most things in life you only hear about the odd person having a bad experience - the hundreds and thousands of people that sail through US immigation every day are just not 'good' news stories!!

ShirleyD
04-02-2007, 00:41
Well I had to say cranky kids because it reminded me of a time about 14 years ago when I was yelling at them in the middle of Disney world that they were in the worlds biggest playground and were still miserable [msnembarrased] I think we must have all been jetlagged and tired. Thankfully nowadays we all sleep, regardless of the time zone

Katys Grandad
04-02-2007, 01:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
I'm not surprised nobody said immigration - just like most things in life you only hear about the odd person having a bad experience - the hundreds and thousands of people that sail through US immigation every day are just not 'good' news stories!!
[/quote]

Polls and surveys conducted by the Florida Tourist agencies consistently report that the immigration control procedure puts a lot of people off travelling to the USA. I have had a number of negative experiences at various US airports which I wouldn't want repeating.

I also have friends who won't go back there because of the experience.

Karen
04-02-2007, 03:46
Don't know if you realise this, but this poll was started in 2004!!!

drifting
04-02-2007, 14:12
Yes Karen I did know it was 2004, just thought it was worth a comment [msnsmile2]

eagleydo
04-02-2007, 18:56
Quite simply has to be the fact that we have to go home again, I want to stay!![msncry]

Karen
05-02-2007, 01:53
Drifting, it was just interesting to see when the poll started. And I must have voted to as I could see the results, but I don't remeber what I voted for [msnwink]

Must say we have found the immigration people fine the last few visits. Maybe they have loosened up [msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
05-02-2007, 08:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Karen

Must say we have found the immigration people fine the last few visits. Maybe they have loosened up [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

More likely, they have been TOLD to loosen up and I have also noted that recently. Everybody accepts that their job is more important than ever but the manner of many of them needed addressing.

I fear the damage may already have been done in some cases.

blott
05-02-2007, 16:09
If you've been through Orlando International Immigration recently, you may have noticed the posters on all the IO's desks which reminds everyone that they're the face of the USA for arriving passengers.

I have to say, however, that we've never encountered a rude or nasty IO wherever we've arrived in the US, just pleasant people doing a difficult but probably boring job. The one we had at Orlando on our visit in December in the wheelchair line was a laugh a minute and cracking jokes all the time. :)

Frosty
06-02-2007, 07:32
I know this started way back in 2004, but my answer has to be American Drivers.

Having been here for 3 months now, i think i can make judgement.

It never seemed that bad whilst i was on holiday, and i know there has been the American v British driver debate before, but they are the pits.

I have to travel the I4 corridor everyday and the standard of driving is terrible.
They drive up each others tails and if you leave yourself a braking distance, that just invites someone to cut infront of you.

I have already had one car drive into the back of me, traffic stops, i stop, and the car behind doesn't leave enough room and so bang, i get my new pacifica pranged[msnmad]

There are bad drivers everywhere, but there are lots here.

Susan J
06-02-2007, 14:43
Nothing -nothing at all. The worse thing that has happened to me, was my sister died whilst I was in Fl, and I couldn't get home for the funeral, and was worried about my Mum and Dad -however, my home in fl looked after me then, and was a great comfort -when I got home I could deal with everything so much better. So after that, other things are trivial -I always find the local people to be polite andfriendly, and have never noticed a queue jumper -I just love it, whatever. Every trip with my son [soon to be 14] keeps me young at heart, and I hope our home there will always keep him coming with us.
As for driving - apart from the I4 that can be hectic, I love the wide roads, and big parking spaces, and ease of driving. I am not keen in staying in Hotels though -sheets never up to standard, or cleanliness :D Only do that now and then when we stop off elsewhere.
Yep I am a boring floridafan!:D

Albert the Frog
06-02-2007, 16:25
I know the answer to this -don't watch-but I am continually wound up by the American News coverage-particularly with the, I'm trying to be careful, "intense" coverage of the war on terror. If I had to put up with that level/style of coverage all the time I would be a wreck!
Don't get me wrong in very many ways America is the greatest nation on earth but possibly a degree of perspective from the newscasters/editors would maybe settle people down a bit.( and help me when I'm over there!!)

lorraine51
07-02-2007, 22:15
getting fat with all that lovely food.

Allan Smith
02-03-2007, 21:19
The parks letting far too many people in! I know that they are trying to make a profit but we were in Disney when they had to close the park Christmas 2004/5 and you could have been carried along if you had the guts to lift you feet of the ground. something like 25,000 on the day! should have a lower max.
The fastcard system we did universal on another day as my son wanted to go on the hulk, we arrived just on opening and by the time we got to the ride the queue was over 2 hours and the fast pass told us to come back at 9pm. We only lasted an hour and gave the pass tickets to some people walking into the park on our way out!![msnsad]
Back again in July so hopefully we will be able to vist this time. Failing that am staying in the villa pool:)or going scuba diving.

othomas
13-04-2008, 02:54
I put something else,,after a few weeks the smell of bar-b-q everywhere gets to me[xx(]

MarkJan
13-04-2008, 04:54
Something else, I know it is only days or weeks before we have to go home [msncry]

luckylady
13-04-2008, 22:51
What puts me off most while in Orlando? having to come home to this weather
Never changes doesn't matter if we are in Florida for six weeks. I never want to come home,in fact the longer we stay the harder it is to leave.[msncry]

13-04-2008, 23:28
I put something else - hot sweaty Brits dressed in football shirts[sick][sick] mind you you see them all over the world not just in Florida[msnwink]

Kazzie
14-04-2008, 03:36
The thought of coming home and we have just arrived back in the UK today[msnsad]. Since we have owned our villa in Florida I have always thought that I would not like to live there, its lovely just for a holiday, but I think I am changing my mind. If I got the chance now I would jump at it, sadly, I think it is a little late for us. My 20 year old son has just decided he would love to live there and now hates England.

LiesaAnna
14-04-2008, 13:02
even tho' this is an old poll its still interesting to read the answers some have given..... i voted something else, i love everything about Orlando except the getting through the airport, the dreaded collect/drop/collect the cases, and getting out of the airport and onto the road to the villa...................ahhhhhhhhhhhthen then blissful relaxing holiday for around 2 weeks..... but then......the coming home, the worst bit, all that saving/planning/travelling....over.... till the next time!!:D

Robert5988
14-04-2008, 14:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I put something else - hot sweaty Brits dressed in football shirts mind you you see them all over the world not just in Florida[/quote]

Especially if they are Manchester United shirts.

I did see someone with a subtle Spurs motif on his crisp Armani linen shirt; which is acceptable!

alastair
14-04-2008, 16:54
You must stop looking in the mirror Robert :)

Katys Grandad
15-04-2008, 11:12
Although it's not Orlando-specific, I've never liked the US 'you must tip' culture where you're expected to tip just about everybody who provides a service, often irrespective of the quality of it.

titansfan
18-04-2008, 09:40
Queues for us, our trips are always more enjoyable if we spend more time experiencing and less time standing.

That's why we haven't been to Universal in a couple of years, fastpasses should not be sold. Also, a lot of the Disney queues are at least air-conditioned.

Less crowded and better planning = more fun [msncool]

wendyd
19-04-2008, 14:26
I 4

Wendy

CERICROWLEY
19-04-2008, 16:47
I suppose its a bit like anywhere you go not just orlando, it's the tourist culture of some people. I like Orlando and most of the time the attitude of the people that serve you etc. I would like to see people respect other people's country, township etc, in their laws way of life and so on, they are visitors, and they would not like it when the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak. I love Orlando just the way it is FRIENDLY and would hate to see it change because of attitudes of visitors.

domster
19-04-2008, 21:18
Coming back to the UK weather.:(

Surfin_USA
19-04-2008, 21:53
I would have to say the airport. Collecting luggage is always a nightmare. Last time one of our suitcases went missing so we had to wait for 2 hours in the airport, the airport said they had no idea where it was or anything and if it did come up they would send it to the villa. Then, soon after, we waited about 30 minutes just to make sure it was definitely not going to suddenly turn up when the same women told us that it is likely it was put on the next flight (Which landed in 1 hoour and 30 minutes) so i sat outside watching the animals in cages being collected wishing to just go home. I was tired, fed up and just wanted to be in my own bed. The suitcases finally arrived and sadly they had obviously been checked as the lock was torn and the video camera inside was completely smashed.

However, once we collected the car we were all excited and totally forgot about this incident. Damn Miami Aiport. =P

ellie
20-04-2008, 04:47
There is really only one thing I absolutely HATE about Florida.......

Going home. [msncry][msncry] [msncry]

Closing the door on our beautiful home, and driving away is horrid, and almost unbearable, especially when we have spent ages preparing it for our next lucky guests. The minute we check in our luggage and board the 'plane a deep gloom descends upon us. Unfortunately there is only one way to cure this terrible depression....book our next flights!

:D

E. Cosgrove
20-04-2008, 16:34
Isn't it funny how your views change?[msnsmile]
Back in 2004 when we had only just bought our homethere I voted for rain ( putting me off that is! )

Now I am with the nothing brigade:D Rainy weather provides an ideal time to go shopping and I don't feel too resentful if I have to stay indoors doing jobs and keeping my home up to scratch if it is raining:D

I don't even mind coming home[msneek]........it means I can just get on and plan my next trip:D:D

E. Cosgrove
20-04-2008, 16:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I put something else - hot sweaty Brits dressed in football shirts mind you you see them all over the world not just in Florida[/quote]

Especially if they are Manchester United shirts.

I did see someone with a subtle Spurs motif on his crisp Armani linen shirt; which is acceptable!

[/quote]
if they are Manchester United shirts they are probably not British[msnwink]........and certainly not from Manchester[msneek]

Graham49
22-04-2008, 01:14
Love bugs! [msnmad]

tony2000
27-08-2010, 22:18
I hate to queue when its very hot

E. Cosgrove
28-08-2010, 15:12
Resurrecting this post and looking back at my answer from 2004, when I said rain[msnsad]

Can I change it and put "leaving" instead?[msnwink] Nowadays I even like the rain:D

Lyn
28-08-2010, 19:31
I don't like it to hot, which is why, now I have choice, I go in October/November February/March. But when I had to go in July/August I put up with the heat, I'd put up with most things I just love it. When the plane lands on the runway I always feel like I have come home, silly I know but thats me[msnsmile]

piggo64
29-08-2010, 00:22
I feel exactly the same![8D]