PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone

YarisUK
11-07-2004, 19:42
Hi ,
Hope you can help a soon to be florida newbie.
I am going to Orlando with my family and a close friend and their family.
What is the best way of having a mobile phone each, can we buy a pair out there? if so any idea how much and will they be any use on return to UK. if this is not an option are walkie talkies of any benefit?
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

chrisj
11-07-2004, 20:26
Walkie Talkies only have a limited range of upto 2km, mind you ive never got ours to work
that far away

As for mobile phones, if you do a search on 'Mobile Phones' there has been quite a few
threads on this subject.

The search button is at the top of the page

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 22:06
If you have Tri-band UK mobile phones, they'll work well in the USA but the calls will be expensive - even between yourselves. My wife and had one each, but used it only for urgent, short communication.

Ray&Sarah
12-07-2004, 02:15
Don't forget that if your UK triband mobile is on Pay as you Go you will need to contact your provider, they usually want you to switch to pay monthly. Also texting is a cheaper option when abroad.:)

amy
12-07-2004, 19:09
One of the lastest mobiles in the states does what they call point to point calls, so you can use it like a walkie talkie aswell as a phone.

YarisUK
12-07-2004, 22:18
A big thank you for your help, I have found out some interesting stuff.
Looks like lots of options available, the walkie talkie come mobile phone looks a good option if you are there alot. I think the best option so far for an irregular visitor is a place i saw that does a reconditioned nokia phone with 200 free minutes on a pay as you go type set up for $50.
Not a bad deal i thought.

Magical Dreams
12-07-2004, 23:51
Just a point to remember

Walmart sell Virgin Mobiles from let than $60 each including a $10 credit.
They also had some other makes for about $40 each on pay and go!!

Its worth looking around. We bought one while we were buying our villa on Magic Landings so we could keep in touch with the realtor if we needed him

The virgin one is great value.
20c per min for first 10 mins a day then 10c per minute after that.
This is for calls in the USA!!
and USA Mobiles!!
And you can bring it home and top up on the internet by bank card!!
Tri bands are the only phones that will work in UK and USA

the teacher
13-07-2004, 00:48
hi yaris
where did you get /see this deal??
lyn