PDA

View Full Version : who is it?

carrie
11-07-2004, 17:22
Sorry guys this has nothing to do with florida but i have to have something to take my mind off my hols or i will go crazy, 104 days to go still.

A man is sitting at the bar in a pub looking at a photograph of a man.

2nd man walks over and says, who is that photo of?

1st man says, you will have to guess i will give you a clue.
'Brothers and sisters i have none, but this mansfather is my fathers son,

Who is the photo of?

see if you can guess, i had to be told the answer couldnt guess for the life of me.
have a good day.

104 days to go WHEE !!!!!!!!

huckleberry house
11-07-2004, 18:05
Well I think Ive got it, wont post though as would give it away :D

Lesley

Compo
11-07-2004, 18:07
I will hazzard a guess that the answer is that it is a picture of himself??

walmsley_family
11-07-2004, 18:10
himself

rainyday
11-07-2004, 18:13
His son

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 18:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rainyday
His son
[/quote]

Absolutely correct. Since he has no bothers and sisters himself, the man in the bar will be the only offspring of his own father. So, when he says "This man's father is my father's son", the photo must be of his own son.

Just out of interest Carrie, where did you find this riddle? The first time I saw it was over 40 years ago in Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopaedia. I've still got that collection.

carrie
11-07-2004, 19:48
Hi Nostromo, of course you are right it is himself, my dad told me this one, probably from the same source as you, he has loads of them, i will have to ask him for some more.

one more i know

a father and son are driving down the motorway, they have a crash, the father is killed and the som is rushed to the hospital, he is lying on the operating table and the surgeon walks in to the room, the surgeon takes one look at the boy and says "I cant operate on him he is my son, who is the surgeon?

You lot will get this one you load of clever clogs 103 and 1/2 days to go
Whee!!

steph_goodrum
11-07-2004, 19:57
His Mother.

steph_goodrum
11-07-2004, 19:59
"Hi Nostromo, of course you are right it is himself, "

Carrie I'm confused now I thought (and thought Nostromo did too that the picture was of his son not himself).

steph_goodrum
11-07-2004, 20:05
You've probably heard this one before but if not it might take your mind off Florida for 5 mins.

A man was found hanging, in an empty from a rafter 12 feet off the ground. The floor was completely bare except for a small pool of water just below him. The door was locked from the inside and the mans truck was parked outside the barn. The Coroners verdict was suicide....how did he manage it?

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:10
sorry steve misread nostromos reply the picture is of himself.
brothers and sisters i have none(the man) but this mans(The picture) father is my fathers (The 1st man) Son.

so if he is holding a pic of a man who has no siblings and the man in the picture is the 1st mans fathers son.
does that make sense?

as for the 2nd riddle yes it is his mother(Thank goodness none of you are sexist and think that a woman couldnt be a surgeon, my other half said when i told him that one that it was not realistic as there were no female surgeons. P-G

I will try and get a few more, if you lot are not too bored withem

LOL
Carrie

Actually does anyone know this mathematical one, you need to be talking to someone for it to work

1st Ask someone to think of a number
2. get them to double it
3. get them to add on any EVEN number.
4. get them to divide it by 2
5. you then tell them what they are left with.
there is a way of working this out so you always get the right answer
do any of you know how to do this, i will post you the method, see if anyone knows it first.
I love this one

Carrie

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:13
I am a moron left a bit out.

1 think of number
2. double it.
3. ask to add on EVEN number
4. divide by 2.
5. ask them to take away number they first thought of.
You them tell them what they are left with.

Sorry guys.
Carrie

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 20:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
You've probably heard this one before but if not it might take your mind off Florida for 5 mins.

A man was found hanging, in an empty from a rafter 12 feet off the ground. The floor was completely bare except for a small pool of water just below him. The door was locked from the inside and the mans truck was parked outside the barn. The Coroners verdict was suicide....how did he manage it?
[/quote]

Ha! This too is an old one. He had a large block of ICE which he climbed on to do his deed. Then the ice melted - the water.

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:15
never heard this one, did he drive the truck in then sttod on to hang himself, then when he was hanging someone nicked the truck?

sorry i am no good at these riddles i only get it once i have been given the answer.
Carrie

Snapper
11-07-2004, 20:27
I love the U2 riddle ...

U2 are late for their concert. It starts in 17 minutes. They must all cross a bridge to get there. It is night. There is only 1 torch. A maximum of 2 people can cross the bridge together. The torch cannot be thrown, it must be carried across the bridge.

Each band member walks at a different speed, and when two of them walk together they travel at the speed of the slowest member.

Bono takes 1 minute to cross the bridge
Edge takes 2 minutes to cross
Adam takes 5 minutes to cross
Larry takes 10 minutes to cross

So, for example, if Bono and Larry cross first it takes 10 minutes. If Larry then returns with the torch it takes another 10 minutes and they miss the concert.

In what order do they cross to make the gig in 17 minutes?

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 20:28
OK, if you want riddles, try this one. David, Tina and Michael were 3 very bright 10 year olds in the same class. To test them, their teacher stood them in a SINGLE FILE, one behind the other. David first, facing the teacher; Tina in the middle and finally Michael behind Tina. The teacher asked all three to close their eyes and placed 3 separate rimless caps on each of their heads. He then asked them to open their eyes and said,

"I have 3 GREEN and 2 RED caps. I have placed 3 of these randomly on your heads and hidden the other two. Now I want each of you to try and tell me the colour of the cap on your own head. You will have to explain how you got the answer. We will start with Michael first."

Michael, who could see the caps on Tina's and David's head (but not his own), thought and said "I don't know".

Tina, who could see only David's cap in front of her, also said "I don't know".

David, who could see nothing, immediatly said "I've got a Green cap on" and proceeded to explain how he worked it out.

How did David do it?

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:35
was David colour blind and couldnt tell green and the others knew this?

the answer to the maths one earlier.

Which ever even number you ask the person to add on you split it in half to get the answer of what they were left with.
Works every time
Carrie

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 20:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carrie
was David colour blind and couldnt tell green and the others knew this?
Carrie
[/quote]

But David got the correct answer while the other's could not work it out.

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:41
Doh cant read today, are the other two colour blind, tell me tell me i cant bear this.

He He
Carrie

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 20:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
I love the U2 riddle ...

U2 are late for their concert. It starts in 17 minutes. They must all cross a bridge to get there. It is night. There is only 1 torch. A maximum of 2 people can cross the bridge together. The torch cannot be thrown, it must be carried across the bridge.

Each band member walks at a different speed, and when two of them walk together they travel at the speed of the slowest member.

Bono takes 1 minute to cross the bridge
Edge takes 2 minutes to cross
Adam takes 5 minutes to cross
Larry takes 10 minutes to cross

So, for example, if Bono and Larry cross first it takes 10 minutes. If Larry then returns with the torch it takes another 10 minutes and they miss the concert.

In what order do they cross to make the gig in 17 minutes?
[/quote]

I tried to work it out in every way possible and unless there is a catch that I am missing (eg one of the U2 is blind or a midget who can be carried across), the fastest they can do the trip is 19 minutes. I give up.[msnsad]

carrie
11-07-2004, 20:53
nostromo please give me the answer i am going nuts i have no patience

brizzle
11-07-2004, 21:15
Got it (and a nice piece of A4 with all the permutations in front of me :)).

Michael can not tell so the only combination it can't be is two reds in front of him or he would know he is green.
Tina also knows this so, discounting the fact that they are both not red, the hat on her head and Davids can either be a combination of :

David G Tina G
David G Tina R
David R Tina G

Tina can not answer because she see's green in front of her so she could still be red or green. If it was red then she would know she is green.

David knows by Tina's non-answer that he has a green hat on.

Brizzle

janny
11-07-2004, 21:18
Start of with 1 and 2 going across......send 1 back and give flashlight to 10 and 5. They go across and give torch to 2. 2 comes back and 1 tags along for the return.

2+1+10+2+2=17mins!

numbers refer to the time they take to walk across

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 21:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
Got it (and a nice piece of A4 with all the permutations in front of me :)).

Michael can not tell so the only combination it can't be is two reds in front of him or he would know he is green.
Tina also knows this so, discounting the fact that they are both not red, the hat on her head and Davids can either be a combination of :

David G Tina G
David G Tina R
David R Tina G

Tina can not answer because she see's green in front of her so she could still be red or green. If it was red then she would know she is green.

David knows by Tina's non-answer that he has a green hat on.

Brizzle

[/quote]

Perfect! Carrie, there is the answer. Brizzle, you get 10 out of 10.

brizzle
11-07-2004, 21:37
This is one of my faves :

On a wall are 3 standard on/off switches.
One (and only one) controls a light bulb inside a light-tight, well-insulated closet.
The other two switches do nothing.
You can only open the closet door once, and cannot touch/change any switches after the door is open (or re-closed, for that matter).
Damaging or disassembling the door, walls, or switches is against the rules.

Within these constraints, can you determine with certainty which switch controls the light bulb?

Told this in a bar in Eivissa by a Des Lynham lookalike....;)

Brizzle

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 21:53
OK. Turn on the first switch and leave it on for 10 mins at least. The switch it off and turn on the second switch. Open the closet door immediatly and touch the bulb (if it is off).

1. If the bulb is off but warm - it is the first switch.

2. If the bulb is on - it is the second switch.

3. If the bulb is off and cold - it is the 3rd switch.

LesleyB
11-07-2004, 22:16
Very clever, I didn't have a clue on that one. Did you figure it out Nostromo or had you heard it before?

Lesley

steph_goodrum
11-07-2004, 22:34
"1st man says, you will have to guess i will give you a clue.
"Brothers and sisters i have none, but this mansfather is my fathers son,"

"so if he is holding a pic of a man who has no siblings and the man in the picture is the 1st mans fathers son.
does that make sense?"

Still doesnt to me Carrie I'm afraid.

The man holding the photo gave the clue as "brothers and sisters have I none" referring to himself (not the person in the photo) so he is an only child.

"but THIS MANS father is MY fathers son" Since he doesn't have brothers and sisters he is the only person who could be his fathers son so he must be the father of the man in the photo i.e the photo is of his son not himself.

rainyday
11-07-2004, 22:41
From carrie about first riddle:
"sorry steve misread nostromos reply the picture is of himself.
brothers and sisters i have none(the man) but this mans(The picture) father is my fathers (The 1st man) Son.

so if he is holding a pic of a man who has no siblings and the man in the picture is the 1st mans fathers son.
does that make sense?"

The answer is his son, not himself. Imagine a man called Bob who has a son called John and a father called Dave. Bob has no siblings. So he can say "brothers and sisters I have none. But this man (John)'s father (Bob) is my father's (Dave's) son (Bob)". Put sort of mathematically John's father = Dave's son or grandson's father = grandad's son. The 'this man' refers to the man in the photo who is the grandson.

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 23:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB
Very clever, I didn't have a clue on that one. Did you figure it out Nostromo or had you heard it before?

Lesley
[/quote]

I swear that I had never heard of this or anything similar before. I am ususally OK with riddles.:)

Nostromo
11-07-2004, 23:34
Here is a silly one. Archeologists find an ancient coin with an inscription in ancient Latin that translates as "232 BC". They excitedly take it to the curator of the city museum, who throws it out as a fake without even running any tests on it. Why?

steph_goodrum
11-07-2004, 23:40
"Here is a silly one. Archeologists find an ancient coin with an inscription in ancient Latin that translates as "232 BC". They excitedly take it to the curator of the city museum, who throws it out as a fake without even running any tests on it. Why?"

Because since nobody would know the date of birth of Christ 232 years in advance it must have been made later.

brizzle
12-07-2004, 00:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: OK. Turn on the first switch and leave it on for 10 mins at least. The switch it off and turn on the second switch. Open the closet door immediatly and touch the bulb (if it is off).

1. If the bulb is off but warm - it is the first switch.

2. If the bulb is on - it is the second switch.

3. If the bulb is off and cold - it is the 3rd switch.[/quote]

Spot on, I had to have a hint when I was told it to finally twig.

Brizzle

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 00:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
"Here is a silly one. Archeologists find an ancient coin with an inscription in ancient Latin that translates as "232 BC". They excitedly take it to the curator of the city museum, who throws it out as a fake without even running any tests on it. Why?"

Because since nobody would know the date of birth of Christ 232 years in advance it must have been made later.
[/quote]

Absolutely right. There are similar ones - like the one about a book on the "First World War" supposedly published in 1929 - at a time when the Second had not taken place yet.

carrie
12-07-2004, 00:51
hi guys i will try and see if we can work out the photo riddle i think and i am a moron as you well know that it is a pic of himself, heres why.

1. pick up a photo or a pretend photo of a man
2. dont try and guess who the pic is of but say "Brothers and sisters i have none" now point to the photo and say" but this mans fathers(point to pic)is my(Point to oneself)fathers son.
so if he is saying HE has No SIBLINGS and is an only child. and then points to the pic saying THIS MANS FATHER is MY(HIS) fathers son.
if he is an only child and the man in pic is HIS FATHERS SON then it must be a pic of him.

i know i confuse things but i am convinced it is himself

rainyday
12-07-2004, 01:02
It doesn't say 'this (pictured) man is my father's son' (which would obviously be himself, the speaker as there are no sibs

It is the FATHER of the man in the pic who is the speaker's fathers son - i.e. speaker is the father of the pictured man

carrie
12-07-2004, 01:29
sorry rainyday but now i am more confused than ever i still believe the photo is of himself.
it has to be.

B anS i have none.
but this mans father(Man in pic) is my(Speaker) fathers son.

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 01:43
sorry rainyday but now i am more confused than ever i still believe the photo is of himself.
it has to be.

B anS i have none.
[/quote]

No, Carrie the picture IS that of the speaker's son and NOT of himself. He says first of all that he has no brothers and sisters and therefore, he must be his father's (and mother's) only offspring. So, if you consider the last part of his statement "my father's son", he is referring to himself. Now look at the entire second-half of the sentence "This man's (referring to the man in the photo) father is my father's son (which we now know to be himself). This means that he (the speaker in the bar) is the father of the man in the photo, which is therefore of his son.

I cannot explain it in any other way.

philgrove
12-07-2004, 01:46
if bonos band members carry the torch and bono carries his band members he should be able to carry all three across in 5 minutes givving him plenty of time to light up a cigarette and put on his sunglasses, except he probarbly left his glasses behind because he's obviously drunk as only a drunk man would carry anyone across a dodgy bridge at night with only a torch. sorry rambling again[8D]

huckleberry house
12-07-2004, 02:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
it has to be.

B anS i have none.
[/quote]

No, Carrie the picture IS that of the speaker's son and NOT of himself. He says first of all that he has no brothers and sisters and therefore, he must be his father's (and mother's) only offspring. So, if you consider the last part of his statement "my father's son", he is referring to himself. Now look at the entire second-half of the sentence "This man's (referring to the man in the photo) father is my father's son (which we now know to be himself). This means that he (the speaker in the bar) is the father of the man in the photo, which is therefore of his son.

I cannot explain it in any other way.
[/quote]

If we take the picture to be of himself then "this mans Father" is his Dad ,then his Fathers son is himself and not his son, I agree with Carrie that the picture is of himself.

Lesley

steph_goodrum
12-07-2004, 02:18
"but this mans fathers(point to pic)is my(Point to oneself)fathers son."

Carrie
If the man said "this MAN is my fathers son" then the answer would be himself but as he said "this MANS Father is my fathers son" then the piture must be of his own son.

Ray&Sarah
12-07-2004, 02:23
I've got a headache just reading all this, you lot are way too clever!:D

tezz7628
12-07-2004, 02:43
to celebrate my fourth star i'll give it a go :)

this'll really test any problems with getting over to you what i'm trying to say sometimes

so i'll say it a bit at a time

we need a deck of cards with the kings and queens taken out

tezz7628
12-07-2004, 02:55
ja 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
jd 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
js 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
jc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

this is the plan we'll use for explanations
were ja is jack of aces etc
and the cards 1-10 of each suit

tezz7628
12-07-2004, 03:05
??????

just checking ok

columns go top to bottom
and rows go left to right

thats right is'nt it?????

Snapper
12-07-2004, 03:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janny

Start of with 1 and 2 going across......send 1 back and give flashlight to 10 and 5. They go across and give torch to 2. 2 comes back and 1 tags along for the return.

2+1+10+2+2=17mins!

numbers refer to the time they take to walk across

[/quote]
Nice one Jan.

Rumour used to have it that Microsoft used this, or similar problems, in interviews.

Ever thought of working for Microsoft? Or being a project manager?

blott
12-07-2004, 03:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: to celebrate my fourth star i'll give it a go :)[/quote] You only got that by muttering to yourself in the cellar! [msnsad][msnwink]

carrie
12-07-2004, 07:16
Rainy day sorry i may seem daft but i still see it as himself, i too cannot explain any more, lets agree to differ, i am probably wrong any way.
LOL
Carrie

carrie
12-07-2004, 07:25
Rainyday please look at Lesleys response she explains it so much better than us and makes it clear that the picture is of HIMSELF
I know this is right, i am going so loopy i will check with my dear old dad who told me this in the first instant and get him to find it again in his riddle book where he got it from when i first posted it.

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 10:59
Rainyday please look at Lesleys response she explains it so much better than us and makes it clear that the picture is of HIMSELF
I know this is right, i am going so loopy i will check with my dear old dad who told me this in the first instant and get him to find it again in his riddle book where he got it from when i first posted it.
[/quote]

Carrie, this is really getting a bit silly. I KNOW which book it comes from and I've still got it. It is supposed to be a riddle for 10-year olds. No matter how many times you (or anyone else) tell yourself to the contrary, the PHOTO IS THAT OF THE MAN'S SON and not of himself. If you still cannot figure it out after so many explanations, why not give-up and try something else?

carrie
12-07-2004, 13:49
nostromo it is so obvious it is of himself, i do not need to give up, i am now looking at the book IT IS IN FRONT OF ME.

ANSWER PAGE 104 have a look yourself HIMSELF!!!!!!!!
It may be for ten year olds Doc, so you should understand it then.
do not mean to be sharp, but even if i do not understand riddles i CAN READ EXTREMELY WELL&gt;
CARRIE

carrie
12-07-2004, 13:51
also NOstromo not all of the "So many explanations" agree with it being "His Son" take a look.

rainyday
12-07-2004, 15:30
If we can ignore the "brothers and sisters I have none"; which is just a clue to help us eliminate the possibility of nephews, uncles etc., we are down to a father, son and grandfather. So, imagine Prince Charles looking at a photo of Prince William; he points at the photo and say "this man's father is my father's son". The 'this man' refers to the man in the photo i.e. William. He could equally say "William's father is Philip's son". There may be a bit of confusion because both sides of this sentence refer to Charles, the holder of the photo. Charles is 'this man's father' and he is also 'my father's son'. But the question asks who 'this man' is - the man in the photo, not 'who is this man's father and my father's son'.

If the 'this man' in the photo was indeed the holder of the photo, he would be saying "my father is my father's son" which I'm sure you'll agree is impossible. I hope this helps.

huckleberry house
12-07-2004, 16:52
Well rainyday that is as clear as mud, what are all the 8217s about ? I still believe the picture is of himself and theat is the only reason for the ,brothers sisters I have none,to rule out the possibility of it being any other than himself ( i.e not a brother ) try imagining that it is of himself and see how it all fits.

Lesley

rainyday
12-07-2004, 17:00
eek - gremlin in my copying

okay Lesley, if it's himself he says:

"brothers and sisters I have none" - okey dokey

"this man's father is my father's son"

OR, (since I am this man under Lesley's scenario),

"my father is my father's son"

How does this all fit?????

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 17:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rainyday
eek - gremlin in my copying

okay Lesley, if it's himself he says:

"brothers and sisters I have none" - okey dokey

"this man's father is my father's son"

OR, (since I am this man under Lesley's scenario),

"my father is my father's son"

How does this all fit?????
[/quote]

Thanks, Rainyday, at least some of us have worked this out. You have put it quite clearly, even though it may not seem so to some. With your permission, I'll borrow your Royal analogy.

Let us imagine Prince Charles was Prince Philip's only son. If Prince Charles then looked at a Photo of Prince William and said "Brothers and Sisters I have none (hypothetical, as presumed), but this man's (Prince William's) father (Prince Charles himself) is my father's (Prince Philip's) son. All that is correct. It cannot be simpler than that, can it? :)

carrie
12-07-2004, 19:24
Are we still doing this one?

It is of himself (Fact).

Imagine a picture of a man.

John says holding the picture Brothers and sis i have none (only child)

But this man !! this man here in the photo !!! is my Father(Johns fathers)Son IF the man in the pic is johns fathers son it has to be of himself!!!!as he has no siblings Simple iam reading it from a book of riddles as said before if i am wrong then so is the author.
Thanks Lesley you have it right.
Phew.

rainyday
12-07-2004, 19:40
But it's not the man in the photo who is 'my father's son'!!!!

Read the original puzzle. "This man's father is my father's son" NOT repeat NOT " this man is my father's son" How easy would that be?!!

You should get your money back on that puzzle book if the riddle is as originally posted and the answer is given as 'himself' because that is wrong. Try to fit the William/Charles/Philip analogy to the puzzle as originally posted and use your answer - let us know how it all fits together.

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 19:55
Correct again Rainyday. As you say, if he was saying "This man is my father's son" - then the photo would have been of himself. But he is saying "This man's FATHER is my father's son", which means that the photo is of his SON (and NOT of himself).

I agree with you that if the book says the photo is of the man himself, it should be returned and a refund demanded.

carrie
12-07-2004, 19:55
calm down rainy day dont lose your cool.
I originally posted this, you need to relax sit back clear your mind and read the original post.
MY ORIGINAL POST read it take it in then think!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but most of all calm yourself.
You know im right.

steph_goodrum
12-07-2004, 21:21
If we go right back to the beginning Carrie and read it , it still reads the same way.
"A man is sitting at the bar in a pub looking at a photograph of a man.

2nd man walks over and says, who is that photo of?

1st man says, you will have to guess i will give you a clue.
"Brothers and sisters i have none, but this mansfather is my fathers son,

Who is the photo of?"

As we said it says "this mans father " is my fathers son. Everyone seems to agree that as the person speaking has "no brothers and sisters", he is the only person who could be his fathers son.
So if the speaker is "this mans father" then that means that he is the father of the man in the picture , so the picture is of his son.

huckleberry house
12-07-2004, 21:50
Here we go again,
Now listen carefully I will say this only 10 or so more times :-)

Steph, you say if the speaker is this mans Father, but he isnt this mans father ,he is the man in the picture, nowhere does the puzzle say that the speaker is the man in the pictures Father.I think the basic misunderstanding is that there are three generations but there arent there is only two, the speaker ( who is also the man in the picture ) and his Father, the reference to son is referring to himself not his son. This Mans Father is my Fathers son is referring to the same person hence needing a reference to having no brothers or sisters, if the picture was of the Mans son that reference would not have been required.

Yes the puzzle could have said "this man is my fathers son" but it would hardly have classed as a puzzle then would it.

As Carrie posted the puzzle and has the answer in the book as well it really should be time to give it up and accept gracefully that the answer all along was himself, that after all is why it is a puzzle because it takes a while to figure it out.

Lesley

hamish
12-07-2004, 21:56
It,s himself on a block of ice.

rainyday
12-07-2004, 22:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house
nowhere does the puzzle say that the speaker is the man in the pictures Father.[/quote]

Staying cool,calm and collected at the request of carrie, I'll stick to the facts.

Fact 1
my father's son = speaker (as he has no siblings)

Fact 2
this man = the man in the photograph

Fact 3
this man's father = the father of the man in the photograph

Fact 4
this man's father = my father's son (given in the puzzle)

If you disagree at this point, please post and let me know what specifically you can't understand.

So recapping Fact 1 and Fact 4

1: my father's son = speaker
4: this man's father = my father's son

gives us

5: this man's father = speaker

and throwing in Fact 3

3: this man's father = the father of the man in the photograph

gives our final facts:

6: speaker = the father of the man in the photograph

7: the man in the photo is the speaker's son

I'm going back to planning my holiday which is what I have found this board really useful for - I can't believe I got sucked into this. Part of me thinks that Lesley and carrie are doing this to wind Nostromo, steph and me up but I fear not.

Nostromo
12-07-2004, 22:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by rainyday

Part of me thinks that Lesley and carrie are doing this to wind Nostromo, steph and me up.
[/quote]

You know Rainyday, I think you are absolutely right. There is an old proverb about throwing stones......you know the one I mean. I am also going to sign off this nonsense from now on.

steph_goodrum
12-07-2004, 23:42
Lesley at the risk of getting the other nine "last times thrown at me" I'll just try and explain once more why I am still convinced the book is wrong.

"This Mans Father is my Fathers son is referring to the same person hence needing a reference to having no brothers or sisters, if the picture was of the Mans son that reference would not have been required"

The reference to no brothers and sisters seems to apply to the speaker ( he doesnt say it refers to the man in the photo). The reason it is needed is (sisters are irrelevant) if the speaker (for arguments sake call him Joe) has 2 brothers called Fred and Charlie, then the person in the photos father could have been either Joe, Fred or Charlie so could have been the speakers nephew.

As Joe is his fathers only son then the man in the photos FATHER must be Joe. and the man in photo is JOes son.

"Yes the puzzle could have said "this man is my fathers son" but it would hardly have classed as a puzzle then would it."

If the puzzle had said "this man is my fathers son" then yes it would be the speaker but that is not the wording in the puzzle i.e
it says "this mans FATHER is my fathers son" and that changes it completely.
We're obviously not going to agree on this one, but at least it's made Carrie forget about her holiday for a while so it's a bit closer now.

brizzle
13-07-2004, 00:27
Can I try and sum this up (without getting dragged into it) [msntongue]:

The phrase "my fathers son" can only be the man looking at the photo (the speaker giving the clue) because he is an only child.

So we can therefore replace the "my fathers son" part of the clue with "me" leaving us with.

"This mans father is me"

Therefore it has to be a picture of his son.

tezz7628
13-07-2004, 00:30
to continue

all the jacks are laid face up and remain in place

next to the jack of hearts is laid ace to 10 of hearts
next to the jack of diamonds is laid ace to 10 of diamond
etc

now the cards need collecting face up one on top of each other
from ace of clubs then ace of spades, then ace of diamonds, then ace of hearts, then 2 of clubs
etc

finishing with 10 of hearts on top of pile

now turn the cards over and in pack order lay the cards out in rows of ten from top left to bottom right

so you have ended up with 4 jacks face up and 4 rows of ten cards face down

"i can tell you the position of each card if you ask me??"

says the person doing the trick

how?

huckleberry house
13-07-2004, 03:28
Okay lets try and make this even easier to understand

The picture is of HIM, therefore
"This mans Father = MY DAD,

Is my fathers son =MY DADS son = HIMSELF as he is an only child.

Lesley

steph_goodrum
13-07-2004, 12:27
Lesley
To follow on from your explanation how can
My dad is my fathers son be true, if you agree my fathers son is himself (as he has no brothers)?
It is saying "my dad is me"

whereas if you take the picture to be of the speakers son (humour us)then you are saying "his dad is me".