PDA

View Full Version : must stay on topic area...

chrizzy100
08-07-2004, 23:44
Now that we have passwords to the villa owners part.......I wonder if it would not be an idea to have a 'must stay' on topic area within the guest area.....and posts not about the topic asked by a guest are removed......

Its so easy to go off topic......but it must be hair pulling out to a guest to have their question moved to the owners only part.....

Just an idea.......because for one.....I'm really bad at staying on topic.....and for two....I'm really bad at staying on topic.....:(

chrisj
08-07-2004, 23:52
and third - you never stay on topic :D

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 00:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
and third - you never stay on topic :D
[/quote]

I was hoping for people to say........what you go off topic chrissy......never......you're just being kind and taking the blame for those what do go off topic.....like well other chris's........[}:)][}:)]

Robert5988
09-07-2004, 00:59
As a newcomer to this site, albeit something of a Florida veteran, may I make a couple of comments that I hope will be considered constructive and not taken out of context.

I think most of us initially visit this site for information, and I personally have found many threads very useful. If you are contemplating buying a property the information to be obtained here is seriously important. Even as a holidaymaker the renting of a villa/car or getting flights and finding out where to go, it is invaluable.

In my opinion many important and informative threads are hijacked by some site regulars who turn it into inconsequential social chit-chat that is meaningless unless you are a long standing member of the clique. I suspect it puts many off returning to this site. It is difficult to escape the conclusion that the prime objective, for some, is another post toward the cherished ‘Florida Expert’ status.

The site owners generously allow many ‘social’ threads that give ample opportunity for regulars to communicate. Again in my opinion, it would beneficial for the majority of visitors to the site if the ‘information’ sites were kept for information and opinions.

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 01:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
As a newcomer to this site, albeit something of a Florida veteran, may I make a couple of comments that I hope will be considered constructive and not taken out of context.

I think most of us initially visit this site for information, and I personally have found many threads very useful. If you are contemplating buying a property the information to be obtained here is seriously important. Even as a holidaymaker the renting of a villa/car or getting flights and finding out where to go, it is invaluable.

In my opinion many important and informative threads are hijacked by some site regulars who turn it into inconsequential social chit-chat that is meaningless unless you are a long standing member of the clique. I suspect it puts many off returning to this site. It is difficult to escape the conclusion that the prime objective, for some, is another post toward the cherished ‘Florida Expert’ status.

The site owners generously allow many ‘social’ threads that give ample opportunity for regulars to communicate. Again in my opinion, it would beneficial for the majority of visitors to the site if the ‘information’ sites were kept for information and opinions.

[/quote]

Thats why I feel an on topic area...would be a good idea.........we'd all know that our posts would be removed if of no interest to guests.......without the site owners having to give a reason......and if the posts go...so be it.....no hard feelings.....:D

A lot of people like myself.....are long time board users.....yahoo etc......and its very easy to forget that a forum like this is for information...as well as friendship and day to day chat.......
Blott/john etc....have the hard job of not only policing the boards....but having to e-mail us if they feel its needed..so nothing is taken the wrong way......a lot of extra work......just deleting a post off topic would make life easier I think......leaving the other topics to go whichever way they like......:D

Angua
09-07-2004, 02:18
Evening all.

In reference to Villa Guest posts being moved to the password protected owner area and and Chrizzy's suggestion of a way of trying to stop owning references creeping in and causing the original post to be moved. I can see the point, it must be very frustrating when your question is moved to a locked area because someone inadvertantly mentioned ownership issues. I understand that it's important to keep these topics seperate but I hope there's an easier way and I think that Chrizzy's idea is a good one.

I would like to add that I don't think the Forum is cliquey at all. If you're just coming to research the odd piece of information then obviously you won't understand the little references unless you read other threads. But if you're only dipping into the forum now and then, why would you care if you understand the in-jokes or not? There is more than enough information to answer your questions and more than enough members who are happy and willing to help with any queries you may raise. Perhaps with more information than you expected but information never the less. [msnsmile2]

As with joining any social circle for the first time, if you stay around and get to know the people who are party to it then you couldn't find a friendlier bunch. Everyone is very welcoming and forgiving of the usual newbie mistakes and foibles (I should know!;)). Sure, there's the odd post made to bump up numbers but mostly it's fans of Florida sharing hints and tips and passing the time of day via the Internet, just as they would to a neighbour in the street. Everyone has a pointless conversation at some time, that's life (Again, I should know!!;))

chrisj
09-07-2004, 02:40
I was contributing to a few threads that were moved to the locked area :(

Im also a member of a few forums and even Mod one, I can tell you that most if
not all forum threads tend to go slightly off topic now and again, its the
nature of the beast, as people get to know each other then friendly banter starts

I see no problem with that myself, as this is what makes a site friendly. I find
like in life there are people who will open up and be friendly, and this site is
just like life, full of friendly people

well thats my views :)

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 02:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Angua
Evening all.

In reference to Villa Guest posts being moved to the password protected owner area and and Chrizzy's suggestion of a way of trying to stop owning references creeping in and causing the original post to be moved. I can see the point, it must be very frustrating when your question is moved to a locked area because someone inadvertantly mentioned ownership issues. I understand that it's important to keep these topics seperate but I hope there's an easier way and I think that Chrizzy's idea is a good one.

I would like to add that I don't think the Forum is cliquey at all. If you're just coming to research the odd piece of information then obviously you won't understand the little references unless you read other threads. But if you're only dipping into the forum now and then, why would you care if you understand the in-jokes or not? There is more than enough information to answer your questions and more than enough members who are happy and willing to help with any queries you may raise. Perhaps with more information than you expected but information never the less. [msnsmile2]

As with joining any social circle for the first time, if you stay around and get to know the people who are party to it then you couldn't find a friendlier bunch. Everyone is very welcoming and forgiving of the usual newbie mistakes and foibles (I should know!;)). Sure, there's the odd post made to bump up numbers but mostly it's fans of Florida sharing hints and tips and passing the time of day via the Internet, just as they would to a neighbour in the street. Everyone has a pointless conversation at some time, that's life (Again, I should know!!;))
[/quote]

We have ask the experts.....so maybe just adding that posts here must stay on topic........maybe staying on topic should become a rule there.....
We then we have guests chat.......so guests can make friends......and join in.........getting to know everyone......

If we feel that something in ask the experts is worth taking on somewhere else.....we can just make a new topic......leaving guests not having to search high and low for their answers.....

Maybe the same in the owners part.....for new owners to find answers quicky......

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 02:50
I was contributing to a few threads that were moved to the locked area :(

Im also a member of a few forums and even Mod one, I can tell you that most if
not all forum threads tend to go slightly off topic now and again, its the
nature of the beast, as people get to know each other then friendly banter starts

I see no problem with that myself, as this is what makes a site friendly. I find
like in life there are people who will open up and be friendly, and this site is
just like life, full of friendly people

well thats my views :)
[/quote]

I agree........but I saw that Chelsea..had trouble finding her posts......and if she has no villa.......its unfair that she loses her answers........
We would still have general chat open to go off topic on....

chrisj
09-07-2004, 03:02
ive assumed now that if i cant find a topic that ive contributed to that its been moved :(
as I dont have a villa either i just carry on with other threads, and then if they get moved
i carry on til I find something I can talk about that doesnt get moved :)

Angua
09-07-2004, 03:27
I've just dipped in to various threads in the Ask the Expert section and they really don't look like they go off topic by more than one or two posts so that shouldn't cause a problem for people to ignore them. Replying posts may raise more questions or give more info but they're still on topic, just the odd jokey social comment which could be considered "off". There is so much information on here that you have to use the Search facility to find stuff anyway and that has always worked straight away for me. The alternative is to go through pages of threads, even if the posts strictly relate to the thread's title.

99% of the social chit-chat is in the General area as it should be (with the exception of my poll testing madness!;)[:I]) so really the issue here is inadvertant reference to ownership that causes a post to be moved into a password protected area. It's a conundrum!!

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 03:45
ive assumed now that if i cant find a topic that ive contributed to that its been moved :(
as I dont have a villa either i just carry on with other threads, and then if they get moved
i carry on til I find something I can talk about that doesnt get moved :)
[/quote]

How much is it worth to DM you the thread....[msnwink][msnwink]...!

Well maybe we could all be good......and try not to go off topic in ask the experts......[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
09-07-2004, 03:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Angua
I've just dipped in to various threads in the Ask the Expert section and they really don't look like they go off topic by more than one or two posts so that shouldn't cause a problem for people to ignore them. Replying posts may raise more questions or give more info but they're still on topic, just the odd jokey social comment which could be considered "off". There is so much information on here that you have to use the Search facility to find stuff anyway and that has always worked straight away for me. The alternative is to go through pages of threads, even if the posts strictly relate to the thread's title.

99% of the social chit-chat is in the General area as it should be (with the exception of my poll testing madness!;)[:I]) so really the issue here is inadvertant reference to ownership that causes a post to be moved into a password protected area. It's a conundrum!!
[/quote]

Conundrum......ummmmmm.......[msnsmile]

Maybe a nice...please try to say on topic in this area.....would be OK.......:D