PDA

View Full Version : New from El Salvador

alexa
06-07-2004, 05:41
Im organizing a trip with my parents and friend to Orlando, but I need reassurance, I have never rented a villa before in my life...heck I havent even used a credit card through the internet ever..
so all this renting villas is very scary to me..you hear so much about scams through the net that im very suspicious of everithing..but then again I really dont want to stay in a hotel after looking at the beatiful villas available..
please can someone tell me just how safe it is? has anyone had a negative experience with it? some warning signs of scams? what to do when I rent..etc..
so far some village owners got back to me after filling out a form in orlado villas and one of then said;
'NO SECURITY OR DAMAGE DEPOSIT NECESSARY!

does it mean I dont have to give her any money till I arrive?

well people hope you can help me...
im arriving July 30 from El Salvador

blott
06-07-2004, 06:31
Hi Alexa

Welcome to the forum!

Renting a home in Florida is a great way to stay as you'll have lots of freedom to do as you please as well as space to spread out and your own private pool too. It's a lot better than staying in a cramped hotel room. Once you've stayed in one, you'll never want to stay in a hotel again!

If you're renting a home through any of the three sites associated with Orlandovillas.com (links along the top band of every forum page) you can be sure that the home has been verified by the website owners as belonging to the owners so no worries. To make sure that they're verified owners, ask for their home reference number (it should already be on their email reply to you) and then you can check it out on the site.

You'll have to pay for your rental before you arrive (although it depends what you've arranged with the home owner). Most home owners also take a security deposit that covers any damage or loss in their home during your stay there but, if the home owner doesn't need this then you don't need to provide one.

I realise that all this is new to you but loads of people rent Florida homes every year with no problems and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

trevlad
06-07-2004, 13:26
hullo and welcome to el salvador!!

also if you do use a credit card to buy or use a service and it is found to be fraudualent or defective/not of merchantable quality, then the credit card company is considered to be partly to blame and you should be able to obtain a refund thru the appropriate channel:D:D

a couple of years ago a friend bought a timeshare in spain, paying 500 on the card and ten grand by cash money transfer. it turned out to be a mega scam. whether intentionally, but the builder built a small phase one, then never built the massive phase 2 , but sold the whole lot. he kept people at bay by stalling the completion dates and letting people stay in phase one. also most people swop there timeshare and never go back to the original.
so it was a few years down the line that 'the fan got messy' and the policia were called in. it looked like she had lost her fortune, but using the consumer clause i managed to get back over 10 thousand pounds, just because she had partly paid by credit card:D

another true story:D and a happy old dear!!

trev

sandra777
06-07-2004, 15:52
Hi Alexa

Renting a villa on any of the 3 Orlando Villa sites is very safe because all of us have to prove we own our villas before being allowed to advertise and continue proving it every six months. If it was not safe then the internet would have lots of posts warning others,instead most people would not consider staying in a hotel having rented a villa.

If an owner says "no security deposit required". This is a deposit paid to the owner in case anything is damaged while you stay in the villa. In most cases nothing is damaged and the money if refunded after your stay. The cost of renting the villa is a seperate item and most owners require payment some weeks before you travel in case you cancel last minute and they cant' rent out the villa to someone else. Obviously, security deposit (if required)and advance payment policy will vary quite a lot from owner to owner.

You've certainly made the right choice in comimg to this site and booking a villa. Like you I was a bit worried when I first did this but me and the rest of the family were so impressed by these villas we decided to buy one of our own.

Wishing you a great time in Florida

Sandy

hamish
07-07-2004, 00:46
Hi Alexa.
Welcome to the forum,everythings already been said.
Trust in the forum, you will not be dissapointed.

alexa
07-07-2004, 05:06
thank you people for all your replies! I actually looked all over the internet for scams+orlando and found nothing so I got the feeling this was pretty safe..too bad I coudnt convince my mom about this and she went ahead to her travel agent and booked a villa herself..
im pretty dissapointed about this since I was getting really excited about a villa in Indian point..and it turns out she planned everithing herself, villa..car..etc..
So now we will be staying a the Villas of Somerset for 9 days, I looked on the web and they look ok..(not great but..)

one question maybe you can help me with..Im arriving an the 30 july and the villa and car are booked for the 31 on (since thats the day parents are arriving)..so i need a place to stay for that first night, and since my flight arrives at 11pm I would like a place nearby the airport that could maybe pick me up then..does anyone know if some hotels do that? and also do you know of a shopping centers near the airport where I can hang around the next morning while I wait for parents..

thank you again people!

Rich-n-Ang
07-07-2004, 13:14
We stayed at the Villas of Somerset in 1994 they were very nice at the time, very clean and spacious, no private pools though just the communal one and they were more what I would term Town Houses than Villas i.e. not detached and our 3 bedroom one was on the ground floor with another above it. They are situated just off the 192 on Poinciana Blvd. We did get complimentary breakfasts in the club house which were nice (we went with Virgin).

jmack
17-07-2004, 03:21
Hello I am new to the forum. From the USA

I would not worry at all. Two years ago my wife was about to book a home over the internet through a U.K. owner. I was so nervous that it might be a scam that she pulled out of the first villa. My wife, a little more trusting than me, booked another villa from a different U.K. owner and I was totally and completely satisfied. It was a wonderful home and a memorable vacation. I was so impressed that if all goes well we will be the proud owners of our own villa this coming Tuesday.

You will not be disappointed and chances are you will return!!

benfilo
18-07-2004, 03:58
welcome to the forum Alexa and jmack. Alexa don't worry it's good advice above , have a great trip.
jmack, have a great Tuesday I'll be joining you in 12 weeks hopefully.
Where have you bought?

benfilo

jmack
18-07-2004, 05:39
The Palms Lake Davenport Estates. It is a 5/3.

lisi
18-07-2004, 19:44
Hi
Well I have found this site so helpful - we stayed at Crescent Lakes and I would have absolutely no hesitation in booking a villa through this site again. It was a joyous experience and this year we are going to Port Charlotte by way of a change. I cannot believe how reasonable the costs are when you compare booking a villa in Spain or Greece for example.[8D]

Lisi

traceya89
13-08-2004, 02:56
The first time i booked a villa it was through a newspaper advertisement, I was very dubious in case we were ripped off but everything went off well and when I knew we dealt with the management company on arrival in Florida I was more than reassured, and I booked again with the same gentleman for his villa. After that The next few times I found a villa through the internet which all went without incident. However, I was still frightened in case something happened. But next time I go to Florida I am going to book a villa though this site as lots of steps have been taken to ensure that every villa/villa owners are genuine offers and they certainly give one peace of mind. I do agree booking direct with owners works out a lot more cheaper than booking with a travel agent.

plymouth-hunni
05-09-2004, 21:49
hi Welcome to the forum!:D