PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a name?

E. Cosgrove
05-07-2004, 19:09
Christian name initial followed by surname, with the space in the correct place, dead boring thats me[msnsad]
But can I ask how some of the more unusual user names have been arrived at[msneek]
Liz

blott
05-07-2004, 19:30
You can change yourself into something more exotic if you want - just ask! :)

Calamity Jane
05-07-2004, 19:35
I am a walking disaster, my name tells it all. My cooking leaves a lot to be desired, I burn clothes ( and myself) when ironing, I can trip up over fresh air, I have a memory like a sieve and spill every drink that I make.[:I][:I][:I] All of this when I am sober too [:I]

My husband has other names for me :D:D Not for the public ear though[:0][:0]

chrizzy100
05-07-2004, 19:50
My name is my name........I just can't spell.........[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Nostromo
05-07-2004, 20:30
I liked Conrad's book AND am a sci-fi fan. Loved the first two 'Alien' films...:D

mr flibble
05-07-2004, 21:00
Hi:)
My name is from the TV series Red Dwarf.
Mr Flibble is a good friend of Uncle "Arnie Judas Rimmer" one of the ships crew who died and was made a hologram then was infected by an insanity virus and Mr Flibble appeared HURRAY !!!!!!!!!11
He is a fluffy penguin with super powers !
If he is very cross his eyes turn red and then you are in trouble
he will hex you.You may even have to stand in the corner without oxygen for three hours.
Simple explanation wasn`t it.[msnwink]
Ian

E. Cosgrove
05-07-2004, 22:18
I love it Ian.
My son is a big Red Dwarf fan and has all the videos I will get him to point out Mr Fibble to me[msnsmile]
I'm not quite sure how this topic ended up in forum support, probably something to do with changing my user name, but if I did that nobody would know who I was!! :)
Liz

trevlad
05-07-2004, 23:30
we got t shirts for a stag weekend years back, mine was given to me and stuck?
my other name is geezer at work. almost everyone knows my name and i'm poor in that area ,so years back i started just nodding to people and saying 'alright geezer'. i am originally from london and now work in gateshead. the 'london geezer' stuck so i just get geezer now.:D

trev

Angua
05-07-2004, 23:52
I had a flipout and asked for my username to be changed to Angua. Angua is a character in the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, a kick-butt Sergeant who turns into a Werewolf once a month. I felt an affinity with her at the time!!;)

Although, if you really knew me and know the Discworld charaters, you'd think I was more of a "Magrat".[:o)]

chrizzy100
06-07-2004, 00:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Angua
I had a flipout and asked for my username to be changed to Angua. Angua is a character in the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, a kick-butt Sergeant who turns into a Werewolf once a month. I felt an affinity with her at the time!!;)

Although, if you really knew me and know the Discworld charaters, you'd think I was more of a "Magrat".[:o)]
[/quote]

I would be a younger Nanny Ogg......hehehehehe......

Angua
06-07-2004, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey Chrizzy, it's all coming out now!! I see you in an entirely new light!:D[:o)]

chrizzy100
06-07-2004, 00:22

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey Chrizzy, it's all coming out now!! I see you in an entirely new light!:D[:o)]
[/quote]

I even know all the Words of the Hedgehog song ........hehehehehe....[msnwink]

Angua
06-07-2004, 00:25
[:0][:I] LOL :D

brizzle
06-07-2004, 00:26
Brizzle = Bristol which is where I be

Lakul
06-07-2004, 00:26
Being a Star Trek fan, my name is taken from the film "Generations"

The SS Lakul was a transport vessel that ferried 150 El-Aurian refugees to Earth in 2293.
The Lakul and another El-Aurian ship became caught by the gravimetric distortion surrounding the nexus energy ribbon.

The U.S.S. Enterprise-B responded to their distress call and was able to rescue 47 passengers from the Lakul before the transport vessel exploded in the energy ribbon. Captain James T Kirk died on that mission.

chrizzy100
06-07-2004, 00:52
[/quote]

Nanny Ogg looked under her bed in case there was a man there... Well.. you never knew your luck...[msnwink]

chrizzy100
06-07-2004, 00:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
[/quote]

Thee's Got'n Where Thee Cassn't Back'n, Hassn't?

Angua
06-07-2004, 01:00
[/quote]

Nanny Ogg looked under her bed in case there was a man there... Well.. you never knew your luck...[msnwink]
[/quote]

"Above the hearth was a huge pokerwork sign saying "Mother". No tyrant in the whole history of the world had ever achieved a domination so complete."

Got any daughter-in-law's yet, Chrizzy?!:D

chrizzy100
06-07-2004, 01:02
[/quote]

[/quote]

"Above the hearth was a huge pokerwork sign saying "Mother". No tyrant in the whole history of the world had ever achieved a domination so complete."

Got any daughter-in-law's yet, Chrizzy?!:D
[/quote]

Near enough.......[8D][8D]

E. Cosgrove
06-07-2004, 01:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
[/quote]
My son works in Bristol and says he can't understand the way they speak :D
We only live down the road in Swindon and he is Witshire through and through although we're originally Northerners[msnwink]
Liz

E. Cosgrove
06-07-2004, 01:49
Make that Wiltshire!:D

huckleberry house
06-07-2004, 02:21
I had a flipout and asked for my username to be changed to Angua. [/quote]

What was it before [?]

Lesley

Ruth
06-07-2004, 03:15
I feel so inadequate and boring now[msncry]

dbrook
06-07-2004, 03:21
Me too Ruth:D

caroline
06-07-2004, 03:32
Me three;)

fiona
06-07-2004, 04:29
Mee four!![msnwink]

brizzle
06-07-2004, 12:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:My son works in Bristol and says he can't understand the way they speak [/quote]

We do have a nice online dictionary that will help in translation
http://www.thatbebristle.co.uk/dictionary/d.shtml

The main page is http://www.thatbebristle.co.uk which in parts is pretty funny.

I casnt wayt fer me olides

Brizzle.

porky
06-07-2004, 12:17
Chrizzy,

Are you a secret fan of Adge Cutler and the Wurzles? I've now got that darn song on my brain along with Twice Daily and Champion Dung Spreader.[msnwink]

I think my username speaks for itself. On another forum it was originally mobi but I have now been downgraded to Porkie (thank you doctor Atkins). This is my husband's doing, he named me:(. He even got me a name patch for me to wear at work - it's a lightning interceptor with the name Jacqui above it and below it it says call sign Porkie. It has been quite amusing as guests try and guess why I'm called that. One guy out on a stag night asked me if it was because I squealed in bed.[:I] I nearly spilled his beer down his neck I was laughing so much. My face was so red I'd have given Rudolph a run for his money that night.:D

My daughter (20) is nicknamed SFB short for **** for brains. Again hubby's work. She is very clever but when it comes to common sense she must have been right at the back of the queue[msnwink] I despair of her sometimes, she does some really stupid things.

My son (23) is nicknamed Biffer. This was given to him when he was about 8 months old and it was after Jasper Carrot's mental labrador. Accoding to Jasper, he used to walk backwards wagging his head, left his food and ate the dish and was always getting into mischief. At that time this described my son to a tee and the name just struck.

Jacqui

Angua
06-07-2004, 13:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house
I had a flipout and asked for my username to be changed to Angua. [/quote]

What was it before [?]

Lesley
[/quote]

Now that would be telling! My anonymity gives me power, power to complete my Grand Plan and take over the World, you foolish mortals!!......mwah, ha, ha...... (evil laugh)

....(cough, cough)... uuummmm, sorry about that. My Reality Cheque bounced but I'm much better now![msnwink] My former username was... Sarah Seaman

trevlad
06-07-2004, 15:35
[msnwink]

porky
06-07-2004, 15:54
You've kept the same avatar then Sarah:D

Jacqui

Angua
06-07-2004, 16:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by porky
You've kept the same avatar then Sarah:D

Jacqui
[/quote]

I did indeed! Couldn't find a decent werewolf that wouldn't frighten the living daylights out of any children on the Forum. Although if you saw me after a late night, you might think they were quite apt![msntongue]

I fear the Medusa avatar may be making a return visit!

george
06-07-2004, 17:43
Sounds like a mirror image of me !
Pamela.

quote]Originally posted by Calamity Jane
I am a walking disaster, my name tells it all. My cooking leaves a lot to be desired, I burn clothes ( and myself) when ironing, I can trip up over fresh air, I have a memory like a sieve and spill every drink that I make.[:I][:I][:I] All of this when I am sober too [:I]

My husband has other names for me :D:D Not for the public ear though[:0][:0]
[/quote]

Achilles2k
23-07-2004, 21:50
I spent most of the year 2000 on crutches after snapping my achilles tendon in October 1999 [msncry] and again in March 2000[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry].

Long, long story that both depresses and angers me :([msnmad] - so I wont bore you with the details [msneek]

Mr G
24-07-2004, 14:09
Mr G.... "one" of the names my wife calls me,I can't divulge the others. [:I]. The spinning man seems to sum up my day, between juggling running children to school, dance class, swimming lessons, friends,clubs,sleep overs,home repairs,booking Florida flights, tickets, :Dforums,taking bookings:D, oh and of course ..... work [msnsad]. I don't know if I'm comng or going.[:o)].

Mr G
24-07-2004, 14:12
Oh and having emails read on K92FM. Have I mentioned that in the last 10 minutes;);););)

CarolAnn
20-09-2004, 21:14
US customs and hotel staff, always call me Carolann, so as we had just returned from Orlando when we joined the forum, my daughter said use it!![msnwink]Otherwise I am just plain Carol:)

LiesaAnna
20-09-2004, 22:14
LiesaAnna
sounds nice... i think.....
its my christian name with one of my middle names Liesa Anna Maria my dad is german and apparently that was the german way of spelling it all those years ago:)

Lynnes
20-09-2004, 23:07
I.m realy boring Lynne followed by first letter of surname - hows that for imagination[:I][:I]

linda.s
20-09-2004, 23:21
And mine is almost identical to yours lynnes.........!!! :D

Harmony
21-09-2004, 12:59
Our villa is on Harmony Place and we chose to call the villa Harmony in the hope that it would bring us Peace and Harmony to our lives [msnsmile2] Little did we know or we would of called it Stresspot. ;)

Jeff

ncmurray
21-09-2004, 14:07
I could only choose ncmurray, because I would forget any other!!

Do you know, I have been reading this thread looking for ujpest doza. I have often wondered where THAT one came from. I'm sure there is a good story behind it:):)

porky
21-09-2004, 19:05
Nuala,
There is a post explaining about the name. Can't remember where it was but I'm sure it had something to do with a band from days past.

Jacqui

Rich-n-Ang
22-09-2004, 15:55
Nuala/Jacqui

I seem to remember a post about the name as well, but thought it was a football team.

porky
22-09-2004, 18:41
Rich-n-Ang,
You're quite right. It is (or was, not sure which) a Hungarian footie club. Just tried searching for Ujpest Doza on this site but couldn't find the post I wanted. Did a Web Ferret search and found the football team. I think why I thought it was a band is because the photo reminds me somebody from a group - around the time of the Kinks:D

Jacqui

Rich-n-Ang
22-09-2004, 19:25
Jacqui

I couldn't find the post again either - will probably come across it by accident at some point (then not remember where this thread is to put the reason).

Rich

Kissyme
30-09-2004, 17:21
Mine is a play on words, always stayed at Kissimmee and when my boys were little I used to say "Kissy for me, Kissy for you" Now when I say it they just look discusted and appologise to their mates.
One of the many joy`s of parenting after years of the kids torturing you on a regular basis.

Nostromo
01-10-2004, 23:48
In fact, I am surpised that so many members use rather unimaginative (if you'll forgive the expression) usernames with such a wide choice available. Me, I've got a mental list of usernames that I like and use it for forums, shopping sites and so on. If anyone wants ideas for a name for themselves, you can always ask me! :D[grin][rasta]

02-10-2004, 01:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
In fact, I am surpised that so many members use rather unimaginative (if you'll forgive the expression) usernames with such a wide choice available. Me, I've got a mental list of usernames that I like and use it for forums, shopping sites and so on. If anyone wants ideas for a name for themselves, you can always ask me! :D[grin][rasta]
[/quote]

Come on then rise to the challenge and think up one for me[msnwink]

Nostromo
02-10-2004, 02:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

[i]

All right then. Here is list of a few female names for starters. See if you like any of them.

Dextra, Nefertiti, Rosebud, Xhippie, Rapunzel, Xanthippe, Leia, Impedimenta, Queen Cleo, Medusa :D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-10-2004, 02:32
lal sounds just perfect for you Lucy [msnsmile]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

[/quote]