PDA

View Full Version : One year on

jewell
05-09-2002, 21:07
One year on.....

Time does pass, and with it's passing it doesn't make the pain of loss go away, it just makes the hurt a little less painful, a little more bearable. In memory of those lost I believe the best tribute we can pay them is to go on, to live, to support each other, to remember, and every day try to make life worth living for others.

At the end of August 2000, we took our daughter to New York for her 21st birthday, my husband, myself our two sons then aged 9 and 16. We visited the twin towers, we have video of us stood on one of the towers looking towards the Statue of Liberty. I remember as a family we were in awe of the buildings, the people, the life in this wonderful city.

Who would have thought

One year on..........

Sandra

tinkerbell
06-09-2002, 01:36
I think this is what hits home for me the most...

I remember so clearly standing at the top of the World Trade Centre, with my younger brother, and we felt scared just looking over the side. When I saw the footage of people jumping in terror from the top floors it was enough to make me sick.

When I visited the States in february this year, I was amazed at how patriotic the americans were being, most cars had flags flying, and all the theme parks had special american pride displays of on type or another. Americans have always been very proud of their country but the tragic events of September 11th have just gone to show how strong they are.

Such a tragedy, and such a shock to the world as a whole, one that I don't think we'll ever recover from.

Tink

orlandobabe
06-09-2002, 22:19
I felt quite disgusted with the Daily Mail this week for putting a ring round people about to jump from one of the towers-in a photo-and then linking it to a bigger picture of each individual.

I think that was totally uncalled for.

Orlandobabe

jewell
06-09-2002, 23:52
Isn't this the danger Orlandobabe - we will, and should, remember those who lost their lives. But surely those who are gone, and the loved ones they left behind, would want us to remember them in a dignified way?

The media have a responsibility here that I hope they don't shirk from. I'm sure none of us need reminding of some of the terrible sights we saw that day.

Sandra

imported_n/a
07-09-2002, 00:59
I have watched all the documentaries this week about the events of that horrendous day and have not managed to keep a dry eye yet. God took many angels that day and left a trail of sorrow for those who were left behind to begin lives without their loved ones. How they have done it, I don't know, they are better than I.

I have complete and utter admiration for the people of America who have come together in the face of such adversity to be the most patriotic country that I have ever visited. May it continue and show those sick and twisted "human beings" that they will not defeat America or the freedom that it stands for.

God Bless and good night to all those that gave their lives.

Shroom
07-09-2002, 16:41
Watching television and seeing the programme they mde of the passengers and flight crews on one of the flights brought a lot of the reality back.

I was flying in the early 70's when aircraft were being hi-jacked to places like Dawsons Field. Although we didn't then live in fear of being hi-jacked we did have it on our minds. But then the aircraft weren't used as missiles. There were very few human casualties. All aircraft at Dawsons field were bombed. A few passengers were killed.

The bravery of the crew on those aircraft on 9/11 is impossible to quantify. They knew what was going to happen. But they are mentioned so infrequently.

Siobhan

bonnie
08-09-2002, 17:39
The photos of people jumping was not put in our papers here in the ny area i can't say for anywhere else. There were documentaries and they wouldn't show them jumping either. Hopwever one show about the firefighters did have the sound of the jumpers, and cut a great deal of them from the broadcast also.