PDA

View Full Version : Drinks with meals(under 21s)??

Dave5118
01-07-2004, 16:05
The party i'm travelling with includes my 20 year old niece, will she be able to drink alcohol with her meals, like in NY, or does the law restrict this in FL?

If not, does anybody know any establishments that are a bit more relaxed? [8D]

BTW she only looks about 17 or 18......which doesn't help

TIA,
Dave.

chrisj
01-07-2004, 16:09
You have to be over 21, but look over 35 to be served, My wife was refused for years, mind
you she didnt complain

DMC
01-07-2004, 16:13
Hi Dave

I think that your niece will be luck to get away with drinking, even if it is with a meal, as far as I know there is no distinction in Florida.

If you are under 21 then you can't drink.

From friends who run restaurants in Florida, they go on the basis that if you look under 30 then they will still ask for proof of age.

Clearly if you wish to drink at home then that's up to you / her but out and about, it is likely that she will be unable to drink.

Cruella DeVilla
01-07-2004, 18:35
No goer! Some places ask for ID upto 30.
Maybe in your hotel room. It is just the way it is.:(

chrizzy100
01-07-2004, 18:41
My husband got asked for ID and hes a gray haired old guy.....well a lot of what is left of his hair is gray......:D[:o)]

ctgirlscout
01-07-2004, 18:46
I'm surprised your niece was served in a NY restaurant. As far as I know, you have to be over 21 in any state to be served or purchase alcohol.

daxon
01-07-2004, 20:04
My Dad was asked for proof of age........he's 73!!
Mind you that was to qualify for senior citizen discount!!:D:D

Dave5118
03-07-2004, 16:06
Ah well, thanks for the replies.

Looks like the Villas fridge will have to be full of booze now...... instead of food :D

Dave.

Nigel W
03-07-2004, 16:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
Looks like the Villas fridge will have to be full of booze now...... instead of food :D
[/quote]

Sounds Fimiliar[msnwink]

wrpac00
03-07-2004, 20:14
Yeah, that's sounds good to me too. The first thing I buy at Publix is the Buds.

esprit
03-07-2004, 20:24
My daughter was asked for ID at 24. And an American airline wouldnt give my son a glass of wine at 20 even though he was in the air and not even in the US yet!!

However, I think the US drinking laws do a lot of good. My son of nearly 19 would be well within a drinking culture if he was at college in the UK. As we live in the US, he isnt. The teenagers here find other things to do and to be frank stay younger longer which is no bad thing, THey go to movies, for a coffee, or go and eat out together instead of hanging around in bars and pubs. There isnt any lager lout culture here. When I was back in the UK last week, we saw two young girls of about 18 totally slewed staggering along in the middle of the road at pub turn out time. We were in the car and had to swerve around them. You dont get that sort of thing here. No bad thing.

Nigel W
04-07-2004, 00:10
We can never quite understand how my 19 year old son can drink as soon as he steps back on the plane from Orlando.

Jill
04-07-2004, 02:17
Julie You are lucky that your son is not drinking at 19 in America. Andrew can tell a completely different tale of students at University of Miami. There they do a roaring trade in excellent fake ID cards and large numbers of students frequently return from several establishments in the area each night very drunk.

esprit
04-07-2004, 02:37
Miami is always a law unto itself in all things!! I can only speak for Orlando, moreover kids from the Celebration area, who are perhaps a bit "gooder" than most!

adh619
04-07-2004, 02:51
we were there in May and the nephews were asked for photo id b4 buying booze

T

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-07-2004, 12:34
I'd agree there Julie.

We went to see the rock band Kiss live in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and took the children (aged 3 and 5). All the other people were very well behaved and made our children feel like absolute stars. There was some people having beers (it was 95 degrees+ and an outside venue) but they were not binge drinking and then stumbling around and swearing loudly like you would expect at a similar show in the UK.

What a refreshing change [msnsmile2]. There is no way I would subject my children to the behaviour of drunkards at a similar event in the UK.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
My daughter was asked for ID at 24. And an American airline wouldnt give my son a glass of wine at 20 even though he was in the air and not even in the US yet!!

However, I think the US drinking laws do a lot of good. My son of nearly 19 would be well within a drinking culture if he was at college in the UK. As we live in the US, he isnt. The teenagers here find other things to do and to be frank stay younger longer which is no bad thing, THey go to movies, for a coffee, or go and eat out together instead of hanging around in bars and pubs. There isnt any lager lout culture here. When I was back in the UK last week, we saw two young girls of about 18 totally slewed staggering along in the middle of the road at pub turn out time. We were in the car and had to swerve around them. You dont get that sort of thing here. No bad thing.
[/quote]

caroline
04-07-2004, 13:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by adh619
we were there in May and the nephews were asked for photo id b4 buying booze

T
[/quote]

When we were over at Easter I as asked for ID, as I "celebrated" the BIG 40 at Christmas I was absolutely thrilled:D;):D

Rich-n-Ang
05-07-2004, 19:28
When we go my daughter will be 19 and my niece 20, I've told them they won't be able to drink when out but may be OK at the villa, can you buy Alcopops in the supermarkets (Bacardi Breezers, WKD etc.) ?

ujpest doza
05-07-2004, 20:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
When we go my daughter will be 19 and my niece 20, I've told them they won't be able to drink when out but may be OK at the villa, can you buy Alcopops in the supermarkets (Bacardi Breezers, WKD etc.) ?
[/quote]

Yes, but expect them to be a bit expensive compared to buying american brand beer.

I always stock up on Millers Milwaukees Best. Cheapest beer in the supermarket and tastes just the same as Busch, Bud etc.