PDA

View Full Version : New and need HELP

tigerbum
01-07-2004, 13:56
Hi everyone, this is my first post and i am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.

I am planning of doing a bit of travelling around Florida, Carribean, maybe LA and Las Vegas. I need to do quite a bit of research into cheap apartments (all web sites are for hotels or villa (which obviously i wont be able to afford). Does anyone know of any resonable price accomodation?

Second question: What type of visa will i need. I understand that i can stay for 90 days without one but does it make any difference if i am travelling to different places. Really i would like to stay for about six months but would rather not go through all of the hassle of obtaining a six month visa?

Thirdly: Has anyone else done anything like this before. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Gemma

DMC
02-07-2004, 17:39
Hi welcome to the forums.

Not sure what to suggest regarding the search for accomodation if there is nothing much on the net.

Most things in the US are geared up for holiday makers so they tend to rent room etc on a weekly basis.

You might be lucky to get something longer term from a local advert when you arrive.

Otherwise if money is tight try the YMCA or Hostels etc.

You can stay in the US for 90 days on the visa waiver scheme, anything more and you will need to apply to the US Embassy for a Visa.

Not sure how long you can stay in the Carribean, but if you leave this leg of the trip until last then that might be away around it.

If so then start in LA / Vagas and then travel down to Florida and the Carribean.

I sure what ever you end up doing you will have a great time.

trevlad
02-07-2004, 17:46
before the net there used to be lots of cheap travel guides aimed at students etc. i am sure if you search in this type of area you will find the best options. also if you are hitch hiking about take advice from the many movies on the subject:D:D
trev

tigerbum
02-07-2004, 19:20
Thank you both for your advice.

I will let you know how i get on.

Silver Dollar
02-07-2004, 21:55
There are hotels near Florida Mall on Sand Lake Road, which rent monthly for long staying guests. I think the price for a two double bedroom unit (with separate lounge area, kitchen and bathroom) is around $1100 per month. There are bigger and smaller suites and the price adjusts accordingly. If you are interested, PM me and I'll try and dig out the details from the bottom of my dirty ole handbag!

tigerbum
05-07-2004, 12:50
Silver Dollar

Hi thanks for the advice i would be interested in this hotel. Please could you dig out the details for me.

Thanks

Gem

jolliffee
05-07-2004, 13:26
We did a 5 week drive round the States, and the only thing we had booked was the first night because you just can't get into the States without having the first nights address. We purchased a tent from Sears and just headed off, found camp sites, cheap hotels or short term hoilday accommodation without any problem. There are a number of paper backs with all the info you need; I got them from my library[msnwink]. Dave

Silver Dollar
07-07-2004, 07:09
Yup I will do, I'm at an internet cafe but tomorrow I'll DM it to you. I've seen the inside and it's real niced. Not too big admittedly but two double beds etc own kitchen/bathroom and onsite laundry facilities.