PDA

View Full Version : museums

debbie
04-09-2002, 22:41
I've heard that there is a Salvador Dali museum in St Petersburg, has anyone been there - is it any good, and can anyone recommend any other similar attractions in Florida?

Debbie.

blott
04-09-2002, 23:01
If you're interested in art, whilst you're in St Petersburg for the above, you could try the Museum of Fine Arts at 255 Beach Drive NE which is one of the USA's top museums. It has USA, European, African, Asian paintings and pre-Columbian sculpture. It's noted for its French Impressionist paintings and photo collection dating from the early 1900s.

For those wanting a retail therapy diversion, there are lots of expensive shops in the same street!

Blott

esprit
04-09-2002, 23:23
Yes, I have been to the Dali museum twice. If you are into his stuff, you will really enjoy it. There is work from all periods of this life there ( he was quite conventional and less surreal when he was younger) It really is worth joining a guided tour as there are hidden meanings, secret imagery in the paintings which you would otherwise totally miss. His work really does need explaining as well as just appreciating. One thing missing from the bigger museum in his birthplace in Spain, which I have also visited, are the giant surrealistic sculptures. There are a few smaller ones in St Petes but nothing near as weird and wonderful. Well worth a visit though. Look out for the vouchers. You occasionally see $$s off even in the Orlando voucher books. Fab gift shop as well with some really original souvenirs and of course prints and books to buy.

Julie Carty

caroline
05-09-2002, 00:04
This museum has American Folk Art - the website looks quite good - but haven't actually been there

http://www.mennellomuseum.com

Caroline

esprit
05-09-2002, 18:57
The Orlando Museum of Science is also worth a look. This is next to the Florida hospital. They have IMAX here also. There is a good section on the body which would be suitable for small kids. very like Eureka in style.

Julie Carty