PDA

View Full Version : polar bears at seaworld

lynn and ray
23-06-2004, 19:28
Hi

Did anyone see the documentary recently on Klondyke and Snow the two twin polar bears who were moved to Seaworld.

I dont know how old the documentary was.

Are the twin bears still at Seaworld?[?]

blott
23-06-2004, 19:41
According to their website they are.

Nostromo
24-06-2004, 04:20
We saw both Polar Bears during our recent visit to Sea World. They are at the 'Wild Arctic' area. They looked well fed but somewhat bored to be there.

trevlad
24-06-2004, 10:57
as above. still alive in may.

i often feel sorry for the animals in this area. i dont know why. maybe they seem to be in cramped surroundings compared to the dolphins and whales. i suppose its all relative though. didnt seem to be suffering from repeat behaviour syndrome(when they just mope up and down with the same behaviour)though, like some of the animals

mind on a different note , who set the alarm clock ,kissed their partner night or whatever, woke up this morning feeling fine!, got washed got dressed, grabbed a granny smith and headed out the door shouting 'late again'. waved to the postman and the new neighbour on the corner etc etc .
you get my drift.

anyway must dash , late for work. now where did i put my apple?

trev

lynn and ray
24-06-2004, 14:37
I always think the polar bears seem sad in that area of Seaworld.

It doesnt look big enough to me.

Madabouttigger
08-08-2004, 20:58
Last time we went to Sea World the pola bear was suffering from repeat behaviour syndrome, we found this very distressing, but there was only one. Maybe things are better is there are now 2.:(

esprit
08-08-2004, 23:36
There are two but you rarely see both. We have annual passes and go quite often and it is quite rare to see them awake though we once did see one swimmming and playing with a ball in the water which was heartening as they usually look quite distressing, bored, asleep or walking repeatedly up and down. They are the only creatures whioch affect me like that in Seaworld. I know some people dont like the thought of whales and dolphins in captitivy but they look really well adjusted whereas the polar bears do not. They really need a much bigger enclosure than the one they have.

zerotone
09-08-2004, 00:32
On both occasions when I have seen the polar bears at Sea world they have been fighting, it was probably just play fighting, but looked quite violent and I got quite upset, as the smaller one seemed to be getting a rough deal.

Jane

Nostromo
09-08-2004, 01:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zerotone
On both occasions when I have seen the polar bears at Sea world they have been fighting, it was probably just play fighting, but looked quite violent and I got quite upset, as the smaller one seemed to be getting a rough deal.

Jane
[/quote]

It is more than likely that they were getting stressed-up with thier restricted environment. As we all know, out in the wild, Polar Bears have more open space than most other animals. So, it does seem rather cruel to confine them to their enclosures in 'Wild Arctic', even though they are looked after well.

CarolAnn
13-08-2004, 22:39
I adore Polar Bears:) Look forward to seeing them next April, we haven't been to Seaworld for a couple of years now!:(Hubby has today ask our daughter if she would like to swim with the dolphins[?]Looking good for our next trip:):DThough I like penguins too[msnsmile]Actually, i love Seaworld[^]

anna maria freak
19-08-2004, 03:58
On every occasion we have visited seaworld the polar bears have been playing and seemed quite content and well looked after,I suppose it beats standing on a glacier mint [msnwink] I was more concerned about the Minky whale, now thats what I would call repetative behaviour :(

Lorraine

hadrian
19-08-2004, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
Last time we went to Sea World the pola bear was suffering from repeat behaviour syndrome, we found this very distressing, but there was only one. Maybe things are better is there are now 2.:(
[/quote]

I videod the polar bears 2 weeks ago, one was swimming the same route (possibly the only swimmable route?) over and over again. I guess it's either play or repeat behaviour.

The other animals at Seaworld seem very well looked after so I would assume the polar bears are well cared for and their pyschological needs are met as best they can be in an artifical environment.

sian
20-08-2004, 06:33
The last time we went the polar bears were definitely displaying repetitive behaviour and looked decidedly unhappy. I really love Seaworld and am convinced of their good intentions and standards of animal care etc. but I'm not sure about the morality of keeping those polar bears in that environment. We chose to avoid the whole Wild Artic area this year - too distressing! It reminds me of the bear terrace that I remember seeing at London zoo - even as a child I thought they all looked sad and unhappy. I was pleased when they got rid of it.

ellie
23-09-2004, 17:49
We found it distressing to see the stingrays, too, just swimming round and round that shallow concrete pool, with everyone reaching out to touch them. They are magnificent in the wild and it seems cruel to put them in a totally bare environment.

We visited Seaworld for the first time in March, and loved the whales and dolphins, but when we went we could not make out if the creatures in Wild Arctic were real - they were moving so repetitively that they almost looked like animatronic models. They were swimming exactly the same route, with seemingly no deviation that they looked as if they were on a wire. The polar bears were not moving at all. Am amazed that they are real! Perhaps if we get to visit again they might be a little more lively. [msnsad]

Ellie

chrizzy100
23-09-2004, 18:00
We spent a few hours watching the polar bear because it was raining outside......he was playing with a ball....catching fish.....swimming here and there......I remember seeing the polar bears in Bristol zoo living in a small square box with only a small pool for years....then you get to see unhappy bears.....I did mean to ask if they had an extra night pen.....its makes the area larger when guests are not there.....we would all moan like hell if we never got to see the bear....so sometimes they have extra space thats opened up after closing.....if someone is going there they could ask.......

Robert5988
23-09-2004, 18:17
I totally agree with the earlier comments in this thread about the polar bears & whales etc and their distressed behaviour. Sea World’s constant self-publicity about their concern for the environment is bogus as, in my opinion, it is nothing more than an old fashioned zoo; a throwback to Victorian times.

I vowed never to return and actively discourage all my friends from visiting.

CERICROWLEY
23-09-2004, 18:52
We saw the polar bears with very repitative behavour swimming back an for on the same route, but alsote walrus was doing the same and as he was swimming towards us and turning back he was hitting the glass everytime.

Newhomebuyer
23-09-2004, 21:43
If you go on one of the tours at Seaworld you can see that they do alot behind the scenes with animals who have got been hurt and injured. We have been there when they have arrived with an injured manattee and I can't think of many places who would be able to help in those circumstances.
I always thought that the 2 polar bears had come from a very bad 'zoo'and that their present conditions were far better than they had previously experienced.

Robert5988
23-09-2004, 22:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you go on one of the tours at Seaworld you can see that they do alot behind the scenes with animals who have got been hurt and injured. We have been there when they have arrived with an injured manattee and I can't think of many places who would be able to help in those circumstances.
[/quote]
Thats exactly what I meant when I said:
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Sea World’s constant self-publicity about their concern for the environment is bogus as, in my opinion, it is nothing more than an old fashioned zoo; a throwback to Victorian times.
[/quote]
I should add with a touch of old fashioned circus thrown in.

KirstieLou
05-10-2004, 17:16
The bears seemed happy enough on Thursday. One of them kept entertaining us in the water. It came right up to the window for us.

Big Keith
12-10-2004, 17:22
It's no coincidence that no Polar Bears have ever bred in captivity anywhere in the world. They are just not suited to zoos or the like.

Most active we saw the Polar bears at SW was just 30 minutes before the park was closing back in June. Wild Artic was almost empty, but the two bears were swimming and playing with a blue plastic barrel, although the bigger one did show some distressing signs when it couldn't get out of the water after dozens of attempts.

Possibly the most disturbing site was the Walrus orally "pleasuring" himself!

A few days before, we did the behind the scenes tour, which did explain the background of the bears and as others have said, they are in a better place than they were before and it would be impossible to release them back into the wild. They would perish almost immediately, according to the guide.

Magical Dreams
28-10-2004, 22:47
Animals in captivity is always a sore subject!!

Most are kept due to the fact that they would have not survived in the wild on their own!!

This is not true in all cases obviuosly!!

[lucky]

Nostromo
29-10-2004, 10:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pontelad
Animals in captivity is always a sore subject!!

Most are kept due to the fact that they would have not survived in the wild on their own!!

This is not true in all cases obviuosly!!

[lucky]

[/quote]

It is more complicated than we think. If you ask yourself 'why they would not have survived in the wild' in the first place, you'll find that somehow MAN is responsible.

sugar plum
30-10-2004, 05:08
I loved visiting Sea World very much. I loved the Manatees and all the other shows/exhibits, but the polar bears did indeed seem bored with their environment, and I had visions of Zoos as they used to be, but as they are rescue bears (as I was informed and trust to be the truth), then being there is definitely the lesser of several evils. Does anyone know otherwise??
The same principal applies to the Apes/orang utangs at Animal Kingdom??

bargainqueen
28-02-2006, 21:11
I first saw one of the twin polar bears swimming with a red ball, it was hanging on to the ball as if it would drown if it let it go. It was a little while later that I managed to see the programme on cable tv.

I thought these bears were bred in captivity but that the mother rejected them so they were raised by humans (at San Deiago Zoo?) Whereever they were another home had to be found and Sea World took them for the new exhibit they were opening.

I have been on several of the Arctic back stage tours and I believe there are 4 or 5 bears there, Klondyke and Snow being the youngest. In later years it has saddened me on occasions seeing one just walking up and down or swimming but what we see is an exercise area. That is what they are doing, polar bears are not by nature sociable animals so ways are devised to motivate them and enhance there lives.

My husband bought me the Chris Tarrant book for xmas about polar bears and in it he said that if you can see a polar bear then you are in a very dangerous position as they can smell food from 20 miles away. I am fascinated by them and in reality where else could you get so close to one.

My other lottery wish besides a villa in Florida is to see Polar Bears in there natural habitat, there is a tour advertised for around 2K but they cannot guarantee you will see one. Hubby thinks I'm mad and has offered me a tour around where we live for £500 but he doesn't guarantee we will see one either [:o)]

Macka
01-03-2006, 11:59
Me and Mrs. Macka won't do Seaworld again. They may well do some conservation work but if it didn't make money it wouldn't be there. I do actually like Seaworld but some of the "exhibits" are poorly housed in my view and you've got to have the courage of your convictions so we don't go.

I'd rather watch a bear in The Country Bear Jamboree.[msnwink]

Robert5988
01-03-2006, 14:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Me and Mrs. Macka won't do Seaworld again. They may well do some conservation work but if it didn't make money it wouldn't be there. I do actually like Seaworld but some of the "exhibits" are poorly housed in my view and you've got to have the courage of your convictions so we don't go.

I'd rather watch a bear in The Country Bear Jamboree.[/quote]

Agreed, if a few more of us took that stand it would hasten the closure of the place.

Daglish
02-03-2006, 00:43
Have to say that we went to the Artic Encounter for the first time at Seaworld on our last trip and I was uncomfortable looking at the Polar Bear enclosure. Didn't look a very pleasant environment at all.

Madabouttigger
09-03-2006, 13:25
Macka - what and where is the Country Bear Jamboree - don't think I heard of it before?

Diane.

Macka
09-03-2006, 15:19
Oh now then Dianne, country bear Jamboree is in MK, frontierland I think very close to Cinderella's Castle.

It's not a big thrill ride, in fact it's a very sedate and gentle show. It involves animatronics and bears singing, I won't say any more.

Not everyones cup of tea to be fair but it's quite funny and very...quaint. We go every time. It's great if it's very hot, a nice respite from the heat.

Think "it's a small world" with fur"[msnwink]

chrizzy100
09-03-2006, 18:32
After spending a lot of my childhood at a Zoo where my friends father was a vet...and at an animal park...where I became very friendly with the keepers and the circus owners who wintered their animals there.. .I saw a lot of good work you never get to hear about...the Zoo took in pets like snakes large cats etc that would of been put down otherwise...lots of wild animals past throught the gates every day...they had care before being let into the wild again..most weekends we let some animal back into the wild that would of died without the care it got at the Zoo......some had to stay none were put down if they could recover...I was there when a few deer were found on a Country Estate that had died out in their own country...they started a breeding program...and now hundreds of those deer run wild in the mountains again...they would of been lost forever...I've seen bad Zoos in my lifetime...but I've also seen the good other Zoos have done...sometimes the few save the many....I'm sure a lot of animals that now run wild would of been lost forever if not for Zoos...