PDA

View Full Version : Is this usual?

poet123
18-06-2004, 18:36
The owner of the villa we have rented has requested that prior to leaving we strip all beds and put bedding and towels through the machine for her housekeepking company. We dont mind doing this but wondered if this was usual. The 2nd week villa owner has not asked us to do this, but wondered if we should anyway???????:)

caseyd
18-06-2004, 18:46
I've never been asked to do it w/sheets. The last villa we stayed in we were asked to put the towels in the washer and turn it on, which was not a big hassle, and that was all. I've never been asked to strip the beds and wash sheets in any house I've rented anywhere, and I've rented alot. That takes a bit of time the morning you are leaving, when you are already hustling to get yourselves out before checkout time.

chrizzy100
18-06-2004, 18:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poet123
The owner of the villa we have rented has requested that prior to leaving we strip all beds and put bedding and towels through the machine for her housekeepking company. We dont mind doing this but wondered if this was usual. The 2nd week villa owner has not asked us to do this, but wondered if we should anyway???????:)
[/quote]

I read here the other week...that some villa owners ask for one load to be in the dyer....and one in the washing machine before leaving........I would do the towels first in that case...because they take longer to dry.....and put the bedding in the wash.......

Ray&Sarah
18-06-2004, 19:42
Our MC asks for our guests to do this as well, it especially helps if you have a back to back booking.:)

huckleberry house
18-06-2004, 19:43
Its to do with the turn round times in homes which at roughly 4 hours doesnt give a cleaning company much time. My manager asks my guests to strip the sheets and pillow cases and place with used towels by the machine with the first wash switched on and dirty dishes to be in the dishwasher switched on. I wouldnt expect a guest to wait for the wash to finish and be placed in the dryer though as that is a bit too much and would take too long.

Lesley

Nostromo
18-06-2004, 20:02
I am surprised. Our MC lady asked us not to bother with ANY tidying up and use the available time to enjoy ourselves! But we washed and changed the sheets one a week on rest days and regularly did the dishes. We also felt morally responsible to do the full clean-up job on the last day. While we were at it, the caretaker came in and tut tutted that we did not have to do it. She was helpful in so many ways that it was one of the highlightls of our visit.

cookmml
18-06-2004, 20:09
We ask guests to strip the beds and if they have time to put them in the washer, for the reasons you have given, ie; turn around time.

chrizzy100
18-06-2004, 20:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I am surprised. Our MC lady asked us not to bother with ANY tidying up and use the available time to enjoy ourselves! But we washed and changed the sheets one a week on rest days and regularly did the dishes. We also felt morally responsible to do the full clean-up job on the last day. While we were at it, the caretaker came in and tut tutted that we did not have to do it. She was helpful in so many ways that it was one of the highlightls of our visit.
[/quote]

When you clean homes for a living.....to get it down to a fine art......so maybe she knows she can do everything in the time she has....so she wants you not to worry about it....[msnsmile2]

Bazamor
18-06-2004, 20:52
It depends on the man co and their cleaners as already mentioned each has their own system.Over the years while renting we have experienced some who have requested nothing to be done while others seem to expect a full clean! As an owner now I think if the guests have time to strip the beds and put the 1st load of towels in then that is a big help but if we are asking them to vacate by 10am there is no way we can expect them to have all laundry done ! I would double check with the owner.:)

steph_goodrum
18-06-2004, 20:55
We ask guests to strip the beds, nothing particularly to do with the cleaners turn around time, mainly because, if the cleaners come in and the beds arent stripped they either have to assume all 6/7 beds have been used and wash all the sheets, perhaps unecessarily , which obviously is not very energy efficient or they guess which ones might have been used.
This way the cleaners know which have been used, they will of course be very grateful if the first load has been started but its certainly not something we would ask the guests to do.
I have seen that some cleaning companies charge the owners for more than 2 loads per clean but they wouldnt be cleaning my house for long I know that.
It has not been unheard of for guests who are in for 2 weeks or 3 to change the sheets mid stay and not wash the original ones and use all 20/40 towels in the house as well so you can imagine if the cleaners have 16 lots of bedlinen and 40 towels they cannot physically get them washed and dried in the 4 hours between 10 and 4 when next guests could be arriving.

Carla
18-06-2004, 21:47
You'll probably find poet that the villa is booked back to back and if your departure day is a Friday or Saturday (most popular days) then the cleaners will be extremely busy and tight for time.

I've always stripped the beds and put the towels on to wash whenever I've been in a home. If we're up early enough I do as much of the laundry as I can. If you think about it a 4 bed home generally only has 6 beds, so that's only 12 sheets and 8 or so pillow cases, a maximum of 2 loads if all the beds have been used, and the US washing machines can do a load in less than 30 minutes.

My guests tend to do most of the laundry when they leave, although I don't ask them to, unless I know that time is likely to be very tight for the cleaners. When Brits are leaving and Americans are arriving on the same day this could be a recipe for problems. Frequently Brit guests have late afternoon flights so aren't in a hurry to checkout, and then the Americans drive down and arrive early!! When I know that I have this situation I always ask the guests to start the washing, particularly the towels.

I've been lucky and all of my guests have always kept up to date with the laundry throughout their vacation, so no huge piles of laundry for the cleaners!! It isn't a big job to strip the beds and put the first towel wash on - takes only a few minutes.

Jo
18-06-2004, 22:27
Do owners generally supply washing powder/liquid for this wash?

Thinking you may get someone who doesn't use the washing machine and therefore won't have the necessary stuff to put in it.

Jo

Carla
18-06-2004, 23:19
They would be extremely rare guests Jo, if they didn't do any washing whilst in the villa!!! Most guests wash all their own clothes before going home so that they bring clean stuff back. I'm sure that every guest would have some washing liquid to spare to start a load for the cleaners before leaving. It's not much to ask, really.

There aren't many places where you can go for a week or two and come back with a suitcase full of clean clothing that's only cost you the washing liquid to do.
:D:D:D

Nostromo
19-06-2004, 00:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
When you clean homes for a living.....to get it down to a fine art......so maybe she knows she can do everything in the time she has....so she wants you not to worry about it....[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Maybe. Alternatively, she probably knew the villa would be cleaned and made up anyway. She used to drop in now and then for a chat and to help out, and I am sure she noticed that everything always was in order. Even my little 9 year old niece did her bit. I have a great picture of her struggling with the hoover!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Nostromo/2004619164847_Bunclean.jpg

Jo
19-06-2004, 01:28
Carla ,

I don't want you to think I'm one of those people who don't wash [}:)] - clothes I mean:D. I like to do my domestic duties whilst on holiday to save the depressing task of doing it all when we get home - besides I don't think we have enough space for clothes for 2 weeks for the 5 of us!

I am about to become a villa owner and just want to make sure I am not expecting unreasonable things from my guests.

Jo

daxon
19-06-2004, 03:08
We would be grateful if guests strip beds & put the first load in. Travelling around Florida & Gulf Coast over last four years, this has always been requested of us. Having said that we wouldnt complain if this wasnt done.

fiona
19-06-2004, 03:09
I say "if you have time please put on a wash - preferably the towels, and if possible strip the beds you have used and place the washing in the utility room". Now whether or not they do it is another matter, but I know we have had guests who have used every towel in the place and washed none of them which is every hard if there is a back to back rental.

Certainly whenever we stay anywhere I always do the same and am happy to buy some washing powder and dishwasher powder. Having memories of staying at camp sites where you lug everything to the launderette and if in a tent the washing up to the loo blocks then staying in a villa is the lap of luxury! And oh the bliss of arriving back home with minimal washing instead of the whole case full of dirty clothes.

blott
19-06-2004, 04:30
We request that our guests put the towel wash on and strip the used bedlinen and put this in the utility room. It's only pillowcases and two sheets per bed so it shouldn't be a big hardship. As Fiona says, whether they do this or not I've no idea. We don't find it any problem to do this ourselves when we stay at our home as our check out time is 11 am and we have to pack too.

As has already been said, one of the joys of renting a home is that you can return home with clean clothes and not have to face a mountain of dirty washing and ironing the minute you open your suitcases. Oh boy, did that ever bring you back to earth with a bump after a lovely holiday!

chrisj
19-06-2004, 04:37
We stripped the beds etc last year and put them in the wash, we also spent a few hours tidying up
and cleaning the Villa

Just thought we entered a lovely clean Villa and felt we should leave it in the same way

Carla
19-06-2004, 05:08
We rented a place in France, down in the Dordogne and had to sign to say that we would leave it at least as clean as we found it or they would charge us an extra 60 Euros!! Just wiping the surfaces in the kitchen area, mopping the floor and throwing bleach in the toilet would easily have meant that we'd exceeded their standards, never mind doing anything else!!! No cleaning materials were provided.

We also had to pay extra for bed linens, which had to be returned to reception on departure AND had to bring all of our own towels. Two washing machines per 30 units.

You couldn't swing a cat in the 2 bedroom rectangular box that we called home for 7 days, however on the plus side the view was phenomenal and having accepted the fact that we were staying in a "shack" in comparison to what we had become used to, we had a wonderful time.

How they get away with what they do (or rather don't do) in both the UK and the rest of Europe never ceases to amaze me!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-06-2004, 06:30
I was at our 7 bed doing some work on it when the cleaner was there and it took precisely 4 hours to clean the house - that was non stop without a break. We almost always have back to back bookings with one set of guests leaving at 11am and the next ones turning up at 4pm - that does not leave the cleaners much time at all and so if all the sheets and towels are well on their way to being clean it really helps out the cleaners [msnsmile2]

caseyd
20-06-2004, 16:37
Nostromo: What's her hourly rate??!!

Funny-- she has the exact same look on her face as my 11 yr old daughter when I ask her to clean.

AndyC
21-06-2004, 17:12
hmmmm....tricky one this, how does one manage to find the time to clean on the day of departure when we are requested to vacate villa by 10am, certainly we would keep the property clean and tidy and treat it as if it were our own, we would probably give the towels and sheets a wash through during the stay as one would normally do at home, and I would not have a problem in putting them in the wash on the day of departure, time permitting.

Is it normal for a vacuum cleaner and other cleaning products to be available in the villa for use by guests?

Would the cleaner or other representative be likely to make unannounced visits to the villa?

And would you normally leave a tip for the cleaners?.......

Andy

blott
21-06-2004, 17:52
Yes, you do get a vacuum cleaner and mop, bucket, dustpan and brush, etc, etc usually as part of the villa equipment. No-one expects you to use them on your departure day though! They're just there if you want to do a spot of cleaning up during your stay or have an accident of some sort! Also, the cleaner uses them when she cleans before and after every guest.

The cleaner won't make an unannouced visit (unless you're late checking out!) but the management company might as there's maintenance and repair work possibly to be carried out. Normally they would either ring you first to let you know or leave you a note if they'd called by to let you know. The pest company may call by on their monthly visit and the pool company will be around every week and so will the lawn people, although the latter two won't have access inside the house unless you invite them in for a cold drink or something.

It's up to you whether you leave a tip for the cleaners or not. If the place is looking sparklingly clean when you arrive, you know that they've done a really good job!

Not all homes have check-out at 10 am (ours is 11 am).

Nostromo
21-06-2004, 19:38
We had requested a 5pm check-out time and were allowed by the owner. The caretakers confirmed this, but had told us not to bother cleaning-up. We did anyway.

amy
21-06-2004, 19:44
When we have rented in the past we have always strippes the beds and put them in the wash whilst we have been packing the cases,the MC looking after our house also requests this in the welcome/help book.
Another thing I have always done in run the vacuum round to make sure there are no marks on the carpet, as it always worried me about losing the security bond, if they found they needed cleaning,Having vacuum I could travel home knowing my deposit was safe.

chrizzy100
21-06-2004, 20:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
hmmmm....tricky one this, how does one manage to find the time to clean on the day of departure when we are requested to vacate villa by 10am, certainly we would keep the property clean and tidy and treat it as if it were our own, we would probably give the towels and sheets a wash through during the stay as one would normally do at home, and I would not have a problem in putting them in the wash on the day of departure, time permitting.

Is it normal for a vacuum cleaner and other cleaning products to be available in the villa for use by guests?

Would the cleaner or other representative be likely to make unannounced visits to the villa?

And would you normally leave a tip for the cleaners?.......

Andy
[/quote]

I have to clean my place before leaving....I have no-one to come in and do it for me......[msncry]
We leave around 10 in the morning.....and in that time....I wash towels....bedding....dry everything...and pack it away.....clean all the bathrooms..... clean the kitchen do a last wash in the dishwasher....put it away....dust.....hoover.....pack the last few things...unplug everything.......make sure everything is locked up.....put down indoor bug spray....wash the floors.....then it off to breakfast....in the same amount of time hubby has.......ummmmmmmmm.....put his razor into the suitcase........:D:D:D:D

Jo
23-06-2004, 19:05
I bet he said afterwards " If you had told me what needed doing I would have helped". Mine always does arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:(

chrizzy100
23-06-2004, 19:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jo
I bet he said afterwards " If you had told me what needed doing I would have helped". Mine always does arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:(
[/quote]

Why can't men see what needs doing.....why do they need to be told.......[msneek][msneek]

Cruella DeVilla
23-06-2004, 19:46
Great thread, I never even thought about this aspect of villa rental. I would have thought it would be cheeky to ask guests to strip beds and put the washing machine on. Have any ever objected?
CDV

fiona
23-06-2004, 19:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:....in the same amount of time hubby has.......ummmmmmmmm.....put his razor into the suitcase........[/quote]

you mean he does that????

All mine does is moan about what I don't pack for him!

I jest - as he packs up the owners closet - need I say more[msnsad][:p]

Carla
23-06-2004, 19:58
Why is it cheeky, Cruella? You'll find that most guests are very considerate and do this without even being asked, anyway. None of mine have ever objected when I have had to ask.

I go out on my own quite often Fiona, and generally end up just throwing things in the owners closet and forcing the door closed because I run out of time. This makes opening it next time rather tricky and an interesting experience!!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Great thread, I never even thought about this aspect of villa rental. I would have thought it would be cheeky to ask guests to strip beds and put the washing machine on. Have any ever objected?
CDV
[/quote]

chrizzy100
23-06-2004, 20:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:....in the same amount of time hubby has.......ummmmmmmmm.....put his razor into the suitcase........[/quote]

you mean he does that????

All mine does is moan about what I don't pack for him!

I jest - as he packs up the owners closet - need I say more[msnsad][:p]
[/quote]

How many husbands use the ....'But darling you do it so much better than I ever could'......line.........???

Calamity Jane
24-06-2004, 07:23
[quote]Originally posted by Carla
Why is it cheeky, Cruella? You'll find that most guests are very considerate and do this without even being asked, anyway. None of mine have ever objected when I have had to ask.

I go out on my own quite often Fiona, and generally end up just throwing things in the owners closet and forcing the door closed because I run out of time. This makes opening it next time rather tricky and an interesting experience!!!

Ditto Carla..We also are on the minutes because we like to leave everything just right for the next guest to arrive. Most of the things are packed and tidied the night before, but on the eleventh hour I fling everything in the owners closet.

Before I bought my villas, we had stayed in one on the Gulf and the day before we left it ( to fly home) we all set about leaving it in the condition we found it in, just out of sheer respect for the owner( not particularly to help the cleaner)
I had three teenagers and a 10 year old with me and they all mucked in plus Mark ( who's probably more paranoid about cleaning than I am)

It takes minutes to strip the beds and if each person in each bed did this it would help, also we ask that they put a wash in of towels as they take longer to dry, every little helps and you only realise this when you become a homeowner.:)

Cruella DeVilla
24-06-2004, 11:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Calamity Jane

Originally posted by Carla

Ditto Carla..We also are on the minutes because we like to leave everything just right for the next guest to arrive. Most of the things are packed and tidied the night before, but on the eleventh hour I fling everything in the owners closet.

Before I bought my villas, we had stayed in one on the Gulf and the day before we left it ( to fly home) we all set about leaving it in the condition we found it in, just out of sheer respect for the owner( not particularly to help the cleaner)
I had three teenagers and a 10 year old with me and they all mucked in plus Mark ( who's probably more paranoid about cleaning than I am)

It takes minutes to strip the beds and if each person in each bed did this it would help, also we ask that they put a wash in of towels as they take longer to dry, every little helps and you only realise this when you become a homeowner.:)

My train of thought on the cheeky part, I was just thinking that they do not ask in hotels for you to strip the beds!!It all sounds good to me though, at least when the time comes I shall know the score, but still months away from rental on our place so all these tips are so good.
CDV

steph_goodrum
24-06-2004, 11:48
"I go out on my own quite often Fiona, and generally end up just throwing things in the owners closet and forcing the door closed because I run out of time. This makes opening it next time rather tricky and an interesting experience!!!"

A bit like the overhead lockers isnt it Carla except even though there is no turbulence to move the stuff it still seems to find a way.
I got so fed up with the last minute arguments each time with me insisting that something would have to go in closet and Mick insisting it wouldn't, I got him to build another cupboard in the garage for some if it. It certainly made a difference to the stress levels before we left.

Carla
24-06-2004, 13:24
We had one built in the garage in March, Steph. Floor to ceiling. That's pretty full now too - mind you the 9' ladder does take up a fair bit of space along with the many bottles of water that I got for a brilliant price!!! To think that I managed with a converted linen cupboard for over 2 years. :D:D:D

steph_goodrum
24-06-2004, 13:57
I bet ours are quite similarly stocked Carla, our ladder takes up a fair bit of room as well.