PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me ?

mikewj
18-06-2004, 08:06
I've written before about the over zealous gatekeepers trying to keep us out of Busch on previous visits.

Today, they seemed to have gone mad.

They wanted photo id to allow us access to the car park !!!

After furnishing them with our passports, we trammed (is this a word ?) to the gates where we gained entry without offering anything but our passes and had none of our bags (we now have a stroller full of stuff permenantly in tow) searched.

They seem to go from one extreme to the other....while Seaworld (same company) seem to do everything properly without any problems !

chrisj
18-06-2004, 12:03
it does seem strange from park to park doesnt it

Nostromo
18-06-2004, 13:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
it does seem strange from park to park doesnt it
[/quote]

You can say that again. Sea World is probably the cleanest of the Theme parks in Orlando with couteous, helpful staff. The last time we went to Busch, it was showing distinct signs of seediness with indifferent staff, bits of litter and peeling paintwork. That is one of the reasons that we omitted Busch Gardens from out itinerary on the recent visit.

Ruth
18-06-2004, 17:22
I was very disappointed with Busch on every count but the unhelpful staff, rides breaking down and ridiculous queues were the major factors in ruining our day.

boo-yeh
30-06-2004, 17:21
But the rides are pretty good![msnsmile2]

Nostromo
30-06-2004, 17:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by boo-yeh
But the rides are pretty good![msnsmile2]
[/quote]

True, but there is more than just rides to a theme park. Take Alton Towers for example; the rides are very good, but the overall presentation is one of indifference with the visitors coming away a "it could be better" feeling. Busch Gardens park has the same problem, often more so. With Disney and Universal parks, the well kept, helpful atmosphere gives a "feel-good" factor, which is important in my opinion.

AndyC
30-06-2004, 18:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj

They wanted photo id to allow us access to the car park !!!

After furnishing them with our passports, we trammed (is this a word ?) to the gates where we gained entry without offering anything but our passes and had none of our bags (we now have a stroller full of stuff permenantly in tow) searched.[/quote]

Would you have been turned away if you could not provide photo ID? and do floridians have to carry any photo ID.

In the past we left passports etc in a safe but then we never went to Busch, but we intend to this time.

Should we be carrying passports where'er we go..?

blott
30-06-2004, 18:52
If you're driving, you should always carry your driving licence and car rental documents. If your driving licence is a photo one, that will probably do.

AndyC
30-06-2004, 19:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
If you're driving, you should always carry your driving licence and car rental documents. If your driving licence is a photo one, that will probably do.
[/quote]

Thanks Blott...but there is always one, I dont have photo on my driving licence so reckon its passports at high noon with Busch Gdns.

I would not like to be turned back for the sake of no photo ID...[msnscared][msnscared]

Epic
30-06-2004, 20:43
im really stuck about going to busch this year after reading these comments.i know its each to thier own but the bad stuff seems to be outwaying the good stuff from the people on here so i really dont know what to do.are money is tight so we cant afford to waste it on trips that arnt going to be worth it so i dont know what to do[msnscared][msnscared]

Emma

Nostromo
30-06-2004, 20:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Epic
im really stuck about going to busch this year after reading these comments.i know its each to thier own but the bad stuff seems to be outwaying the good stuff from the people on here so i really dont know what to do.are money is tight so we cant afford to waste it on trips that arnt going to be worth it so i dont know what to do[msnscared][msnscared]

Emma
[/quote]

You have to make up your own mind on this, Emma. I, for example, am not saying that Busch is bad; in fact, it is certainly worth going once of you have not been there before. But it comes off as a low second best compared with the major Orlando parks, including the excellent Sea World - which is in the same group as Busch.

If you are going to Animal Kingdom (for the animals) and Islands of Adventure (for the rides), you can certainly afford to miss Busch Gardens if, as you say, finances are tight. In Orlando you often end up spending more than you had bargained for (no pun intended!).

Ruth
01-07-2004, 00:02
I would certainly miss out Busch Gardens. We went twice last year and both times we were disappointed:(

trevlad
01-07-2004, 03:41
ditto, we went last year again, but wont be going in july - long way to travel for a free glass of bud.tigers are beautiful though[8D]
trev

trevlad
01-07-2004, 03:41
hit the reload ,sorry

Rhosyn
01-07-2004, 08:53
Sorry to disagree with you guys my teens always have two visits in a fortnight to Bucsh and I also enjoy the park, Great rollercoasters, animals, Sorry its one of my favourites. I would say if you have the time its well worth a visit.

Trina
01-07-2004, 12:03
Hi

Have to agree with Beryl - don't be put off. We went with our teens at Easter and had a fantastic day. We also booked an Adventure tour as it was our daughters bithday and she loves giraffes. We had an excellent guide for the day. Priority seating at shows and on rides - excellent meal in the Colonial restaurant and to top the lot we went out on the Serengeti safara and was able to interact with the animals - especially the giraffes. Our daughter said it was the best birthday she has had. If I knew how to do it I would love you to see the very emotional pictures that we have.

BUT, yes we did have a grumble and we even left a customer report at customer services. Not one person spoke to us in the restaurant! They managed to serve our meal and take our money without even a grunt! Everything was done by pointing and head tossing.[msneek][msneek]

It was'nt a cheap day out - we made this the highlight of our visit this time. It has a bit of everything that this family enjoys.

Trina

boo-yeh
01-07-2004, 12:44
Gonna have to join the 'yes' list for Busch. We always visit as part of the Gulf Coast bit of the holiday and have a great time - even I eventually need a bit more than sun, sea & sand...

Definitely worth a visit as although you probably won't experience the full on sanitised 'have a nice day' treatment of some of it's competitors its still a good day (or two) out. Our kids love it. [msnwink]

phaedra
01-07-2004, 13:58
Another vote for BG :)

It's a nice relaxing park with lots of greenery and makes a comple change from Universal etc. Even our eldest (16) who's bored with Seaworld (strange kid!) still enjoys BG:)

mikewj
02-07-2004, 18:33
We'll still go back to Busch as the good still outweighs the bad.

Its not the park itself that's the problem, its more the attitude of the people who work there. Although such a sweeping statement detracts from those Busch Employees who do seem to care about their work and respect you as a visitor (they do exist).

And it certainly shows with the comments here and the lack of visitors on a hot June day this year. The queues were non existant and the carpark was nearly empty at 5pm when we left.

A good illustration of the lack of respect came from the ride attendants on Montu. There is now a stand (a series of stacked tubes) next to the boarding area for you to leave your shoes/sandals in when riding. The attendants had play fights with the shoes while their owners were enjoying the ride.

Jim
08-07-2004, 05:00
Sorry to rock the boat, but I went there in June and hated it! It is to bitty (if thats a word) There is no theme to it at all. The rollercoaters are excellent but that is it![msnsad]

Jim

Big Keith
13-07-2004, 18:59
My third time in Orlando, but we visited Busch Gardens for the first time last month and had a really great day. Like others, on previous visits I had given it a miss as the reviews had been mixed. We also had Busch in as our "floater" this time round in case we fancied a day by the pool at the end of the holiday.

But, we decided to make the drive. With the I4 dug up, I found the drive not the best, but we arrived at Busch Gardens and were the first car in the car park (at 8:45ish). Started on the Rhino Rally, which was a bit naff. Then went on the train round the zoo part of the park and that was nice and relaxing and as it was early, the animals were all lively. Then headed to the top of the park for most of the rides, which I thought were excellent. Especially good to have three water rides back to back as once you are wet, you might as well do them all before drying off. We used the sky ride to go back to the entrance to do Montu and then across to do Gwazi (which is one helluva boneshaker!). We are not into the live shows, so didn't bother with them, but we saw all the animals we wanted to see and enjoyed the rides.

I quite like the more laid back approach there, I can find Disney and Universal a bit too "in your face". One thing I would improve are the road signs directing you back to Orlando. One was in the ditch and the other was right on top of the junction so if you go into the wrong lane, you were screwed.

Good points were the lack of queues, the abundance of animals and the excellent quality of the big rides. Bad points were the Rhino Rally (naff) and the 3D Haunted Lighthouse film (seen it all before, nothing original)

Madabouttigger
08-08-2004, 20:51
We last went to Busch Gardens in 2002 and loved it. Especially having lunch on the veranda at Crown Colony watching all the animals wander past.:D

esprit
09-08-2004, 07:43
If you like coasters you will like it. Some of the best, Montu, Gwazi, Kumba. If you dont, well the zoo part is good but no better than Animal Kingdom. There are some great water rides particulatly the Congo river rapids and the Tidal Wave but all of them attract huge queues and also often seem to break down or be out of service. I really like Rhino Rally but again big queues. The excellent ice show has been replaced by an indifferent musical spectacle and as for the new Haunted Lighthouse, well the word naff comes to mind. The last time we went the thing we enjoyed best apart from the coasters was the show in the desert grill restaurant featuring some great swing/jive dancers. Great for teens, not so good for little kids.

Nostromo
09-08-2004, 10:44
I second Espirit's views. The main problem with BG is that it comes out a poor third to Disney & Universal parks when it comes to maintenance and staff. The park is certainly not as well maintained as the ones in Orlando and the attitude of the staff often leaves a lot to be desired. Also, unscheduled rides' closures seem more frequent than elsewhere.

CarolAnn
27-08-2004, 14:18
Great to read evryone's opinion:)[:p] Everyone is entitled to their view, and then, as the voice on BB used to say, " Who goes? YOU decide!" :D:)