PDA

View Full Version : Disney & Gulf Coast

zx6r
18-06-2004, 01:10
Hi,Robbie here
we are going on 1st. July and taking my in-laws, their 1st time( age 70 & 74 )any particular things we should watch out for parkwise for them ( they are probably fitter than me! ) This is a sort of last minute deal thru' a site member, so cheers.

My family of 4 & another Family of 4 are due back next summer also ( pre-planned) and we would like to do the Gulf Coast as well, we will be there for 3 weeks, which way round is best to do it, Coast or Orlando?

We went last year for 1st 3 weeks in June with plans to go to the Coast but had to much to AGAIN that we never managed to get there.
1st 3 weeks in june 2003 rained constantly!!

andrewmckay5
18-06-2004, 01:53
Hi Robbie,
Took both my parents over a couple of times to orlando and then our villa in the Gulf. Both in their mid 70's and park wise places such as Busch and Epcot were excellent because of the shows where they could relax and cool down in the air conditioning. I found getting a decent sit down lunch and dinner in the parks helped aswell; a good hours break without queing for food or gulping it down.The "unofficial guide to florida " book was a great help in choosing places to eat.

I would strongly suggest "doing" Orlando first and then relaxing on the Gulf. We has friends who did it the other way round and they found Orlando too busy and hectic after chilling out in 1st gear the initial week.Others may have different views if they have been over with kids.
hope this helps
andrew

zx6r
18-06-2004, 02:16
Thanks for for that
Next year we will have one 16 year old girl, two 13 year old girls, one 8 year old hyper boy + 4 weary parents.We originally thought that 1st week on the Coast, for parents to chill,the kids would have something to look forward to for the remainder of the holiday, rather than all the excitement 1st then no rides for a week.

daxon
18-06-2004, 02:21
We are a family of 12 ranging from 6 to 76 so I appreciate the concern! Planning ahead is my key tip! If you're visiting the parks, try to get hold of a site map first so you can plan who wants to go on what. Not everything is of interest to everyone & when ride queues are long its important to consider where those who aren't going on are going to wait (in the shade?). The shows at the Disney park are really good for older and younger members who are tired of walking or the heat but get there early for a good seat. There is a lot of walking involved; wheelchairs & pushchairs are available for hire at all the parks but remember someone has to be free to push them all the time! Consider taking mobile phones or walkie talkies so you can split up but keep in touch. Above all, just think about each other & im sure you'll be fine! We loved our Millenium family trip to Florida so much that we now own four villas between us!!
Dawn

Ruth
18-06-2004, 03:27
We are going to do the Gulf coast first then Orlando second on our next two visits as I plan to have a rest first and get into USA time. However we have done it the other way round and that works well too. We have 3 children in our group. I suggest you have an open mind and maybe once you have found your preferred villas for your stay you may need to base it around their availability :)

zx6r
18-06-2004, 03:50
Thanx Ruth,
Never thought about availability & trying to base things around that - been more concerned with the children boredom factor

Ruth
18-06-2004, 03:56
If you pick the right villa and the right area of the Gulf coast your children will not be bored there. It is different from Orlando but my children loved going on boat trips and seeing dolphins in the wild, as well as the fabulous beaches, the brilliant villa with Playstation 2 and its pool & spa:)