PDA

View Full Version : help w/Christmas 2005 itinerary please

caseyd
17-06-2004, 16:50
After many springtimes there, we are going to Orlando for Christmas this year for 9 days (Dec. 18-27). Also, we are driving for the first time as we have a new vehicle w/entertainment cneter for kids (why didn't I do that before now?) Staying in Oak Island Harbor in a villa on the lakefront, a new area to us.

I planned our entire April trip from this site and it was so great that I am hoping to do the same for this Christmas trip. I have read all the previous Christmas posts. Here are the things I have picked up on. I have a few questions, and if I have left out anything you like, please tell me. Any comments greatly apprecaited, as my family is not so sure about having Christmas away from home, and I am the one telling them how great it will be- after all, it's Orlando.

Parks:
1) MGM for the lights and decorations, plus we have only been there once, 5 yrs ago.
Question: Blott said last year that the Osborne lights were not in place due to refurbishing of that area. Any clue about whether they are goign to be up this year?

2) Epcot: sounds like we should not miss the Holidays Around the World; also will make reservations for candlelight processional package w/dinner and priority seating- this sounds fantastic. ALso hope they have the Santas Workshop gingerbread house set up in American Pavillion. Are reservations 90 days ahead for this?

3) MAgic Kingdom- haven't been there in 3 yrs. Very disappointed we will be arriving the day after the last night of Mickie's VEry Magic Christmas. Are decorations generally good, and is the parade Christmas themed at all?

4) Thought about Universal on Christmas day (do want one day there) but is Macy's parade worht it? we went to IOA in April so would go to Universal Studios this time (have been before but not in 4 yrs.)

Other:

1) Will go to Christmas, Florida (probably on way to or from the Space Center) to mail christmas cards and see the Fort Christmas- wil be sure not to go Monday when it is all closed.

2) Will go to Celebration for their Christmas festivities, snowfalls, sleighrides, Santa, Tavern dinner, lights, carolling- do those happen every night aroudn Christmas, or is there a special time to go? If don't go to Epcot on Christmas Day then will have buffet dinner at Celebration hotel. Is the buffet really good? Don't want mediocre for Christmas Day either way.

3)Winter Park: haven't been, thikning of that for a day. IS it decorated or anythign special for holidays?

4) Tour the Disney hotels (Wilderness and Grand Floridian seem to be your favorties- where else?)for decorations and Gingerbread house- if don't go to Epcot, may do this along w/Celebration buffet on Christmas.

3) Ice at Gaylord Palms- couldn't miss that after Tink's pics from last year!

4) Looking at Marvelous Adventure website for either sleighride/dinner in Bartow, or the Brooksville Florida visit to Rogers Christmas House. Anyone done these? Can we just drive and do them oursleves without the sleigh ride? Don't want to pay if we can do it oursleves.

Would like at least 3 days (maybe 4) to just relax at house and pool, so if I add anything I will need to subtract from these I think.

THANKS for feedback! LOVE THIS SITE.

susangrah
18-06-2004, 01:52
we will be going to Orlando in December (11-26), i will be very interested in any repies you get to your message. i would like to know where Christmas is?

blott
19-06-2004, 02:56
I emailed Disney for you about the Osborne Family Lights at MGM as we may go to see them again too as we really missed them at Christmas 2003. Here's their reply:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort.

Back by popular demand! The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights brings a whole new meaning to
"Christmas time in the city!"

Come see the angels, the trees, and the twirling carousels of lights; the wreaths, the bells, the
snowflakes, the toy soldiers, with Santa and his reindeer and all the magic of the original display from Little Rock, Arkansas in a whole new setting. Experience five million lights and lots of new surprises from the Osborne Family as they head to the Big City - only at the Disney-MGM Studios!

November 24, 2004 - January 2, 2005, standard park admission is required.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Vicky James

caseyd
19-06-2004, 03:12
Blott, you sweetie! Thank you so much! I didn't even think of emailing them directly. I can tell from your prior posts you really like those lights, and that is what led me to put them on my list- they sound fantastic.

Any other comments? Maybe I should repost this closer to Dec., but I get so much fun out of planning for months in advance...

blott
19-06-2004, 03:33
I couldn't find any info about it so best to ask - I'm impressed with their speed!

The lights are really awesome so lets hope they're just as good this year! :)

You must go to Celebration too and also take a drive around to look at the lights on the houses.

In fact, if you drive around most residential streets, you'll find houses absolutely dripping with lights - I'd rather not have their electricity bills! [msncry]

If I think of anything else, I'll post it but lots of stuff doesn't get advertised until nearer the time.