PDA

View Full Version : Sea World Virgins!!

caroline
02-09-2002, 14:07
We're planning to go to Sea World for the first time in October - any tips?? Can we 'do' it in 1 day?? What are the 'must sees'??

Caroline

Ruth
02-09-2002, 14:27
I love both Kraken and the water ride (sorry, it's name escapes me). Kraken is very scary so you have to love roller coasters to do it, the water ride is better than Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom and beware you do get very very wet!

Ruth

Lakul
02-09-2002, 14:48
Hi Ruth

It's Journey to Atlantis and it's one of the best water rides, apart from Tidal Wave at Busch Gardens, and yes you do get very wet.

Kerry

jewell
02-09-2002, 15:01
Journey to Atlantis is a good ride, it starts as a water ride then converts to a very mild roller coaster type ride. Worth seeing.

Haven't done Kraken myself but my 11 year old son tells me it's worth the wait for the front seats!!

Don't miss the feeding times at Dolphin Cove, for $4 you can buy some fish and feed the dolphins yourself, there are photographers at the other side of the bay taking good photos which you then preview at the kiosk. They aren't a bad buy at 2 for $19.

And go to the Clyde and Seamore show early, just to see the mime artist at work with the crowd. He's funny!

Sandra

fiona
02-09-2002, 16:00
I don't "do" rides, so I go for:

manatees - my personal favourites
dolphins
sting rays - you can stroke them as they swim
seals and sea lions

clyde and seamore show - very funny, just make sure it isn't you the mime artist is making fun of!
at least one of the shamu shows
dolphin show

I like the fireworks and closing show but my gals would rather be belting round Kracken!

Fiona

caroline
02-09-2002, 16:06
Thanks for all that - I've pinted it off and added to my folder of tips for October:)

Caroline

athurstance
02-09-2002, 16:12
I like the walk-through after the Arctic Adventure ride. The ride is a bit tame but the exhibits afterwards are worth a look.
We don't go to Sea World much as the boys find it a bit boring but I can also recommend the Manatees. I love these creatures and always make a point of visiting them at Epcot but the Sea World exhibit is much much better.
If you have children the kids play area is great to let them run off some steam but take swim wear as it is very wet.

Angela

Karen
02-09-2002, 20:15
I LOVE Sea World. It is so relaxing walking around. You do not have to rush anywhere. Nearly everytime we have been there we could have got in a second day free. But we just did not have enough time (too much work to do!!)
Anyway, I just wanted to warn anyone that if they suffer from motion sickness do not go on the helcopter ride before Wild Artic. Angela, you might think it a bit tame, but we all felt sick afterwards. If it did not have the sudden drops it would have been very enjoyable. But I like looking around inside Wild Artic. It makes a good place to cool off. I wiil see if I have a picture I can post from our last visit in June.

Karen

jewell
02-09-2002, 20:20
Nearly forgot !! Don't miss the Shamu Rocks show in the evenings I think approx 8-8.30pm. It's quite a short show, but spectacular.

Sandra

blott
02-09-2002, 20:22
When we went to the Artic at Seaworld we did the helicopter bit and it was less scary than Back to the Future at Universal but depends if you've got strong tummies I guess.

I admit Artic is very interesting but we did feel very sorry for the one polar bear there as he/she was into repetitive walking backwards and forwards so I hope they've managed to improve things for it since to stop it getting so bored!

Blott

imported_n/a
14-09-2002, 02:39
Not sure if this is worth the extra $70 but if you have got it:

Enjoy a six-hour Adventure Express tour at SeaWorld Orlando.

Includes:

· Front-of-the-line access to Kraken, Journey to Atlantis and Wild Arctic
· Feeding dolphins, sea lions and stingrays
· A behind-the-scenes visit to meet and touch a penguin
· Reserved seating at select shows
· A sumptuous lunch served lakeside
· Your very own personal Adventure Guide

Price:

· $75 adult and $70 child (3-9)

· Tour price is in addition to park admission

Kissyme
02-10-2002, 00:05
The ride that we would`nt miss is Kraken but take heed of the warning about loose article flying off, I offered to look after the hire car keys in the bum-bag but my husband (bless him)said his pockets were deep enough and nothing was going to fall out of them. We get off the ride and car keys no-where to be found!!!!The ride had to be stopped for half an hour while they looked for(and found)said keys. I don`t think the people left in the queue waiting were very happy:(

steph_goodrum
20-10-2002, 02:39
For those of a more delicate disposition who can't quite stomach seeing Sea World from the top of Kraken or Atlantis, make sure you go on the "Island in the Sky", it costs a couple of dollars on top of the admission but it's worth it for the spectacular view from the top and as you circle slowly it's always fun trying to pick out familiar places in Orlando, and see the changes since previous visits.

caroline
31-10-2002, 18:03
Well we went to Sea World for the first time yesterday, the Kracken was the highlight of the holiday for my other half and our 11 year old, the 18 year old was in tears while we were in line waiting for the ride so I took her off and we just watched:( - we did manage to get her on Journey to/from Atlantis - hubby got completely soaked :D the rest of us were only half soaked;).
Loved the shamu show, and the simulator ride (Wild Arctic?) was good (not as good as the Disney and Universal simulators we've been on)
Would thouroughly reccommend the new restaurant, Sharks Underwater Grill, it's very much like the Living Seas restaurant at Epcot, except I preferred the food at Sea World. Definitely worth asking to sit right next to the tank - afterwards we went through the tunnel and thought that was amazing - all in all a good day out - except that it's still a bit zooish for my liking and I just feel sorry for the animals:(

One tip - when you park the car, it's $7 or $10 for preferred parking, we arrived just before lunchtime so would of been parked a fair walk from the entrance, I am still recovering from a dodgy knee (torn ligaments - ouch) and am not supposed to walk too far - shouldn't really be walking round theme parks at all:( - so we opted for preferred parking - excellent move, when you leave the park it's lovely to only have to walk another 50 - 100 yards from the exit to the car - especially when your shorts are still soggy:D