PDA

View Full Version : Baby Swapping

mikewj
16-06-2004, 05:19
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend taking a small child (in stroller) to the Universal theme parks.

We started the baby swapping in IOA by following what we perceived to be the rules, i.e. eihter Sue or me stands in the normal line while the other waits for them to arrive, do the ride and swap.

That was until we saw whole families of Americans walk to the front of the line, deposit their child with a single child minder, ride (at least once) sometimes even swapping the child minder during the process and wander off to the next ride.

After a couple of these occurrences, we decided to indulge our dark sides and follow the American way. We were able walk to the baby swap area (normally at the front of any queue) leave Sue or me with Conell, ride, swap, ride again and move on within minutes, even when the usual wait time was around 60 minutes.

Normally, I'd never do any of this, and probably get annoyed with those who did, but then the attendant on Dudley Do Right actually recommended that we did it as its what everyone else does.

So now that's exactly what we do.

Ray&Sarah
16-06-2004, 11:52
When in Rome, as they say. We Brits sometimes just are too good at this queueing thing.:D

cameron
16-06-2004, 11:58
When you say 'baby' does this cover all children in strollers do you think?

Angua
16-06-2004, 13:20
I think that it applies to all children who are under the height restriction or too scared to ride.

Ruth
16-06-2004, 14:10
You can do the same at Disney but have to queue (or use a fast pass) for the first person to ride but don't have to queue again when you have switched;)

Nostromo
16-06-2004, 14:59
I saw several families do this for Kraken and was a bit upset. To tell you the truth, at least some of them were British. There were some grumbles from other people, but since there was no wait except for the first and last rows, no one seriously objected. But on principle, I belive that misusing this 'baby-swap' facility to jump queue is wrong. The honest way would be for the family to wait their turn for the first rider, but with the following one having the previlige of getting in immediatly afterwards.

trevlad
16-06-2004, 15:11
i agree a with nostromo

i really hurt our alex's legs when she was 6 , stuffing her in a borrowed pram!!:D:D:D

trev[8D]

cameron
16-06-2004, 15:28
Nice one Trevlad.

We have always used the parent swap i.e. queued once and then the second parent goes straight on, what we did like is that the second parent can take a child on again and doesn't miss out on the pleasure of seeing their faces.

Theres lots to do with the younger one except when she is asleep. It's then that the old purse takes a hammering in the shops[msneek]

Mr G
16-06-2004, 16:23
Can you hire these babies with a stroller ?. ;)

....It might catch on...If I set up a baby hire business, do I qualify for a visa.?;)

mikewj
16-06-2004, 17:27
You can buy lifelike dolls these days, and a cheap stroller wont break the bank, so just cover the "baby" up so that nobody can tell the difference and away you go.

Must admit that for the first hour, we were sitting like idiots waiting for the other one to arrive in the queue, and I was getting p@ssed off with the the people who just turned up and strolled on. Then we just thought sod it, why not join in.

chrizzy100
16-06-2004, 17:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cameron
When you say 'baby' does this cover all children in strollers do you think?

[/quote]

Baby..... can we count the husband in there.......he'll fit into a stroller at a push.....[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
17-06-2004, 00:28
The other common sight is someone in a wheelchair with
a broken leg or similar and abut a dozen accompanying members of the party!!!
With regards to the baby swap, do you think I could swap mine for a different one......he's 20 by the way!!!
Liz:)

Sharon G
17-06-2004, 02:43
I have a 2 year old "little Monster" (going back in November if anyone wants to borrow him for the parks!!!!)[msnwink][msnwink]

We queued like everyone else until our turn and then went on separately,....(how civilised)....
..but like Liz says its b****y annoying when one person in a wheelchair goes straight to the front with his whole family tree in tow, gets out to get onto the ride and walks faster and fitter than me to get on it!!!![msnoo][msnoo][msnoo]

Sharon

mikewj
17-06-2004, 08:47
Not seen the disabled ploy on a ride, but on a similar theme, we saw something bizarre at our hotel in Key West last week.

A woman in a wheelchair was pushed up to the poolside and left. She stood up, walked to the edge, dived in, swam a few lengths of breaststroke, climbed out (not using the steps), got back into the chair, waited until she was collected and was pushed away again.

It was one of those times when you just sit there looking at each other not believing what you've seen !

Sharon G
19-06-2004, 02:27
Mike, the water MUST have some sort of healing powers!!!!!............................don't you think??

Sharon

CarolAnn
05-09-2004, 13:18
Not to get too defensive Mike & Sue. The miracle from the wheelchair to the pool could be someone with MS? It REALLY could be all she could do? Don't know in that particular case of course, just something to bear in mind[msneek]