PDA

View Full Version : First time in Florida 6/3 to 20/3

Doc
14-06-2004, 16:54
Earlier this year, my family and I took our first trip to Florida.
My wife and I, our six month old baby girl, and my wife's parents.

It really was a last minute decision to go, we only booked the flights in January, a real spur of the moment thing. We chose the US primarily because we thought it would be clean, different, everyone speaks English, and we wouldn't have to sit on a beach all day. Our usual holidays include places like Thailand, Bali, Vietnam, so this would really be something very different.

Living in Scotland, we picked up the first flight on the Saturday from Edinburgh to Gatwick with BA. This was the start of our misadventures. On arrival at the airport, we found we had left a bag at home! A carefully packed bag with all the baby's things (nappies etc) lay in the bedroom at home.
After much arguments, 'you left it', 'no I didn't, you did' etc .....we decided we didn't have time to go back for it, and had to fly on to London.

Arriving at Gatwick we collected our bags (for some reason BA don't provide connections for bags to Virgin at Gatwick), and plodded up to the Boots chemist for some supplies. Over to the other terminal we checked in for the later Virgin flight to Orlando. Checked in okay and the flight left on time.

But to continue the theme, our prebooked seats had a broken skycot, and the man sitting next to my wife in the centre, was at least six foot tall, 25 stone, and spread over two seats. After getting very upset with the stewardess (over the broken skycot), we managed to get moved to another bulkhead seat.
Virgin gave the couple that moved for us, a bottle of champagne, but I think they needed more that that. The look on their faces when they saw the gent sitting next to them was priceless, we felt so sorry for them.

Flight was okay, but the plane seemed a bit old, and I really didn't think much of Virgin at all (poor service, poor food, and the old 'stewardess's need a rest, put the seatbelt sign on' trick)

So arrival at Orlando...... I guess my first impression of the US was rather clouded by our experience of the airport. What's with this pick up /drop off /pick up /search your luggage all the time ?
By this time baby was very upset, having not really slept on the plane at all. I mean, could you sleep in what looks like a coffin?

Down to collect our van from Dollar, and surprise surprise, they had no vehicles ready. I should have guessed by all the angry people besieging the desk. TWO hours later we finally managed to get the car, and set off towards our villa at Cumbrian Lakes, whereby we then proceeded to get lost! After landing at 6pm we finally got to the villa at 10pm.

During the next nine days we did all the usual stuff -

Epcot - nice but very large
Animal Kingdom - our favourite - plenty of shade and not many queues
Univeral Studios - long queues and rain

Shopping and more shopping
Winter Gardens - different

All you can eat breakfasts every day - and some great food in the evenings.

We loved it

So on the 17th of March we drove down to Miami for three nights. Note the date here, it made the first night very interesting!

Of course, on arrival at South Beach we found the hotel didn't have a booking for us! For some reason Expedia hadn't sent the reservation to the hotel, and at 7pm, with a small baby in tow, we had to take the only room left.
So we all crowded into the room, luckily it had a king bed, a single bed and a cot. After some food, we settled down for some sleep, and all hell broke loose outside.
Our room was right on the beachfront, and the St Patricks day celebrations started early, and continued right through till 6am.
We may as well have slept in the road.
The next day all was fixed, and we moved to two rooms at the back of the hotel.

For the next two days, we checked out the ZOO, Little Havana (where we got a little lost) and trekked and shopped around the SoBe area.

Once again we loved it .

All too soon we were at Miami airport on our Virgin flight to Heathrow and then hom

DMC
15-06-2004, 20:16
Hi Doc

Glad to hear that your mishaps haven't put you off Florida, for some reason these issues are easier to get over when you have so much fun.

I hope that your next trip in March will go more smoothly.

Angua
16-06-2004, 00:31
Yet another convert! Thanks for your trip report and it's good that, despite a few hiccups, you had such a wonderful holiday.

As to St. Pat's Day in Miami, I know what you mean. We did Spring Break in Daytona. Next time, I'll check the American calendar before I book. I will say that all of the young whippersnappers cavorting around the town and hotels were so polite when so very very drunk that I thought we'd landed in Stepford!!

Enjoy your planning for March!

sarahjk
01-07-2004, 14:35
Hi Doc

Great trip report sorry to hear about your mishaps but very glad that it all turned out OK

We are going in March next year as well cant wait what was the weather like this year while you were there we have been in Feb, June, July and December but never March did it rain much and was tanning weather or too cold for that

Thanks

Sarah

Doc
09-07-2004, 12:38
Sarah
I thought the weather was just right, with us having a small baby.
Mid twenties every day, shorts and tee shirts, luckily only one day of (very heavy)rain, we did wear suncream but I wouldnt call it tanning weather.

Bit chilly in the morning, but we got in the heated pool most days.

Towards the end of visit it did get noticeably warmer, especially in Miami

BarryR
09-07-2004, 13:37
Doc,
Can I ask what you thought of the Cumbrian Lakes community and the villa in which you stayed, any good points or bad points worth sharing ?
Barry

CarolAnn
09-07-2004, 13:41
Fab Trip report Doc[8D]though I am glad we have done a few trips to Florida, with all going well,:DI think despit your amazing resilience, and positive outlook[msnsmile]If it had been my first trip, think I might have given up[msnsad]But, after 14 years of going,my 12year old has grown up on Florida hols(lucky Girl [8)]), and we have progressed from the cheaper motels on the 192,to WDW resorts,to DVC members, and now villa ownwers[msncool]So, I guess you could say, "We love it!":D[8D]
Weather in March-April is very nice, that is when we went this year, so far my fav time weather wise.[msnsmile]No rain at all, and my tan was very nice[msntongue]Spring Breakers in Fort Lauderdale was a bit of a shock, then we weren't real fans of the place too be honest[msnsad]
Anyway, Glad you are joining the masses of Happy Florida Trippers Doc[msnsmile2]And Sarah, The great thing about March, more Sun,Less rain(we had none!:))and no horrid humidity!!!
Have Fun Guys[msncool]

Doc
23-07-2004, 22:34
Barry
Hard to give a comparison on Cumbrian Lakes as we have never stayed anywhere else.

But, it was nice, very quiet, quite close to the 192 and Walmart.
However it is a bit further to Disney and Idrive.

Small gated community, with a nice lake to walk around and a playground.

The villa was great, nice layout, with the kitchen/lounge and diner in one, which is nice as it means everyones together when cooking etc. My only gripe about it was that the air conditioning couldn't be adjusted up or down or turned off, as it was boxed away. If it needed to be changed you had to call the management company.