PDA

View Full Version : Holiday report 28/5 - 11/6 not without incidents!

alfie
13-06-2004, 22:36
Just got back and over the jet lagg!! What a holiday we had!! Highs and some very strange lows.

Flight fine except an hour delay and felt Virgin staff on board a little mean! a family where late to departures and therefore could not be seated together, the cabin staff repeatedly made all the couples on board feel real bad by stating that as they were not prepared to be split up the family would have to get off the plane!! sorted in the end as a couple of couples did move.

nearly first off the plane and so straight through passport control AND bags waiting for us WOW. BUT second carousel when upstairs bags nearly last off but still from leaving the plane to Universal 40 minutes in total. Stayed 1st week in Universal royal pacific resort and cannot recommend it enough - sheer luxury, steel bands round the lagoon pool, fire dancers and eaters in the evening, Luaw nights, beautiful marble everywhere and the biggest bonus i will tell you about a little later on.........

Being Memorial weekend was very very busy but we had free passes for all universal attractions included with the room so headed out to IOA on the second day after getting up with my daughter at the normal 5.50am slot and seeing all the other non-time adjusted Brits wondering around the hotel grounds!! We strolled into City walk, approx 10mins gentle walk away through manicured grounds by the lakes. Came back to hussle the other members of our family and caught the boat (left every 5 minites from the jetty to City Walk) IOA and Studios absolutely heaving!! BUT delight oh delight, if we showed our room card (key) we went straight through the express que even on Shrek where they do not operate express passes by showing our card we had a seperate (tiny) que and got straight in. After a very hot and vip day at IOA we went to the Hard Rock Cafe in City walk. Horror upon Horror a massive que BUT oh delight showed our card again and straight to our table!! This was the same in both IOA and studios and as there was over an hour ques at most of the main rides all weekend We waited maximum of 5 minutes. Would definately stay there again just for those privaledges! After the holiday weekend hotel emptied out a bit but not the parks but ok for us with our room key :D

HIGHLIGHTS THAT WEEK:
VIP treatment throughout
Brilliant water volleyball all day in the pool with average 20 on each side (whoever wants to play plays) kids loved it!!
Margarittas in Margaritta VILLE
Sunsets at City Walk
Shrek (must be seen)
THE MUMMY RIDE real good fun if not a little scary (like the HULK but inside and in the dark)
Spiderman ride great as ever

LOWS THAT WEEK:
Pricey on site restaurants if no transport then you are stuck
Busy weekend so sunbeds went quick

Then the FUN began........second week had a virgin villa....wish i knew about this site before booking many moons ago. Well...they had not had rain for a few weeks and the rainy season began with a bang, the day we left Universal we had to head off to end of 192 to the 27 to the virgin villa offices. They skies opened lightning thunder, couldnot see the end of the car!! Kids in the back a tad quiet[V]. Then lightning hit the top of pole at the traffic lights and the kids me and my husband [msncry][msnscared][:0]. Then we somehow managed to go north instead of south and after seeing a funnel cloud forming which really sent the kids over the edge (later we heard there had been a tornado warning) 2 hours later managed to get there (should have been about 20 minites). Staff very helpfull and we stayed at Westridge, The Virgin Rep gave us the low down explaining that the villa was alarmed and told us the code to turn it off as we entered. Got to the villa looked lovely and in we went. Husband turned off the alarm all well and good and of course the kids ran straight to the pool. The most horendous screeching began. We went back to the alarm tried to turn it off nothing, back to the pool doors closing them, opening them, nothing. My husband tried to ring the management agents no answer!! Kids went back to the car as the noise was terri

LesleyB
13-06-2004, 23:19
Hi Alfie

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time. Next time you definitely should try booking a villa on one of the OV sites - you get to know about any house alarms and pool alarms and lots of other useful information before you arrive at the villa, so you know what to expect.

I like the idea of skipping the queues at Universal! We're back in October to try the Mummy ride.

Lesley[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
13-06-2004, 23:21
I think we'll book into a universal hotel next time.....we were planning on staying in a Disney one again.....I love the resort hotels.....I'd like to get round to stay in each of them for a few days each visit.....

walden64
14-06-2004, 00:54
Hi Alfie
Wow, your holiday sounds very eventful. Would love to know more about the backstage Shamu and Shark tour - would you recommend it??

Michelle

george
14-06-2004, 03:08
Chizzy, do you advocate themehotels over villas. if so why?
quote]Originally posted by chrizzy100
I think we'll book into a universal hotel next time.....we were planning on staying in a Disney one again.....I love the resort hotels.....I'd like to get round to stay in each of them for a few days each visit.....
[/quote]

alfie
14-06-2004, 13:06
Yes Michelle the Shamu and Shark tour was great, although very hot in the back stage areas, got to stroke a shark!

Although always love Villas or private home holidays - great for your own space and privacy, The Universal resort was brilliant, I am not a hotel person at all nor are the kids or hubby but the ease of getting around especially after walking around the parks made the whole experience so very restful. Our Friends stayed a week there and a week at Disney hotel, with no park privaledges, they found the Disney one just like any other hotel and did pine for Universal resort. Down side is the price as obviously villa's much easier on the purse but we estimated as did others that we saved approx 4 hours in queing time per day!! plus with the walk to the parks or boat taking only a few minutes, didnt have to worry about traffic, parking etc oh yes and had a view of the hulk and doctor dooms from the pool[msnsmile2][msnscared]

chrizzy100
14-06-2004, 17:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Chizzy, do you advocate themehotels over villas. if so why?
quote]Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

I love the theme park hotels.....any hotel really.....I like the company in the lobby ..bar....etc....we all like to veg out in one room eating pizza and watch TV and chatting....thats me hubby and my two kids.....I've never stayed in a villa as such.....our Villa is our home...its not like being away....so I can't say if I like hotels over a villa.....we're not into having a pool.....we leave where we stay at around 7 in the morning and come home at around 11 at night......its rare we have a rest day.......we have to many of them at home on the Cape all summer when we can't get anywhere because of holiday makers.......I never cook.....we never lay out in the sun.....I thought we were odd in this until I read a holiday site last night....where a lot of people love hotels......it all comes down to using whats best for you and your family.....we do a lot of road trips......and hotels are a big part of the holiday thing for us.......[msnsmile2]

bridget
15-06-2004, 00:11
Chrizzy - you've hit the nail on the head there. I agree totally.

Staying in Holiday Inn on 192 in July. I'd miss talking to people being stuck in a villa with just family! [msneek] I'd go absolutely mad I think.

[8D]

chrizzy100
15-06-2004, 01:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bridget
Chrizzy - you've hit the nail on the head there. I agree totally.

Staying in Holiday Inn on 192 in July. I'd miss talking to people being stuck in a villa with just family! [msneek] I'd go absolutely mad I think.

[8D]
[/quote]

I go down to the lobby and go missing for hours.....hubby thinks I'd find someone to talk to in the desert....hehehehehehehe....

You need the right hotel.....we've stayed in some really bad ones in our travels......but we all get on as a family really well when away in a hotel.....its like a sleepover......and its the only time my kids see how really really messy I can be.....hehehehehehehe