PDA

View Full Version : Building Works........

AndyC
09-06-2004, 12:50
From reading a lot of these posts I get the impression that the villa communities are still expanding to meet the demand of future owners, but [u]nowhere</u> have I read where someones holiday has been marred by building works...one hears so much of this occuring in other countries where construction work take place between dawn and dusk.

Holidaying in the States certainly appears to be an attractive option anytime of the year......so when do the villas get built? or are they so inconspicuous that they are not noticed[?][?]

chrisj
09-06-2004, 13:10
I can imagine there are many area's where there are building works, I would assume that it
would be easier to build a brand new development rather than expand an existing one.

There has been mentioned new supermarkets being built, There was some building works going
on opposite where we stayed last year.

I wonder if, cos generally in Florida you get up early spend the day out and collapse
in a heap early/late evening that you miss any work going on, or your just so tired to
notice.

In Cyprus, we lazed around last year, after Florida we needed a lazy week. They were buidling
opposite us, but because we woke up, sat by the pool, read books and generally did nothing
we actually noticed the building works going on.

Mind you the rate the Cypriots build anything, I dont think they could disturb anyone :D

blott
09-06-2004, 16:11
I think you'll find that, as they're building individual homes rather than high rise blocks or huge hotels, the building work is more low key.

I think you'll find if they're building a new home next door or a few away, you'd probably notice it, particularly at the foundation digging, concreting and pool construction stages!

A home owner should always tell you if there's construction work nearby so that you're prepared for it before you go but I have to say that on some occasions it has been known to start up without notice. Always ask your home owner if you're staying at a new or fairly new development whether there's any building work nearby.

chrizzy100
09-06-2004, 18:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
From reading a lot of these posts I get the impression that the villa communities are still expanding to meet the demand of future owners, but [u]nowhere</u> have I read where someones holiday has been marred by building works...one hears so much of this occuring in other countries where construction work take place between dawn and dusk.

Holidaying in the States certainly appears to be an attractive option anytime of the year......so when do the villas get built? or are they so inconspicuous that they are not noticed[?][?]
[/quote]

I only notice the building work around me.....when they cut the blocks.....its the dust......I like seeing the homes go up......but then I'm not on holiday.....I asked some Brit holiday makers in the house across from us what they thought of the building......and apart from the trucks turning up at 7:30 in the morning.....they were OK with it and found it interesting to watch......

Ray&Sarah
09-06-2004, 20:58
We found it facinating to watch from our villa when we were there at Christmas, couldn't believe how quickly the houses were built!:)

chris c
09-06-2004, 22:43
I have had building work going on either side of my home since the middle of March.
The people who were staying over Easter were warned, but decided to risk it anyway. No complaints were received!!
I then decided to keep it off the market until the worst was over - Hooray I think we're there!:D:D:D

stavros47
15-06-2004, 09:50
I have just had construction on what looks like the last villa in our area (next door to me) start while I was visiting.
Just sent a letter to all my pending guests with a warning. Hope we dont loose to may booking because of it!

Still at least when this ones done it will all be over:D

NickClark
15-06-2004, 22:36
One of the homes we rented recently (ours is not yet built) had building works directly across the retention pond. We spent all day around the pool on at least 3 occasions and were not bothered at all by noise, dust, etc. Day 1 they poured the slab, so excavation work had already been completed prior to our arrival. By the end of day 3 the concrete block walls were completed and by the end of the week the roof was going on. From that point on I would imagine the major building works are complete. Perhaps with the exception of rendering the exterior but even that would be fairly minimal if ready mixed compound is being applied as opposed to having a cement mixer running all day with dry sand and cement blowing all over the place. Definately for us personally it was no inconvenience at all in fact very interesting to see the building progress.

trevlad
15-06-2004, 22:56
how many brickies are they using, or is it like a prefabricated side structure? seems very quick
trev[8D]

blott
15-06-2004, 23:01
Breeze block ground floor and then wood up above so no brickies at all!

Cruella DeVilla
16-06-2004, 02:40
I mentioned this to my husband the other day as our house will be finished a good 6 months before the rest of the community is closed.
(It is not a big issue for us as we are not fussed about renting straight away). His reply was when you go to hotels etc they do not alsways tell you about construction. I am divided on the subject I think people would want to know.
CDV[}:)]

chrisj
16-06-2004, 02:45
I as a rentee would like to know at the outset, if we got there to find there was work going on
I would not be happy. Also if we got a letter after we booked I would be even more unhappy

We book a villa with total trust, the same way a villa owner rents to strangers with the same
trust and I would feel this trust had been broken if the issue had not been mentioned at the
time of booking so we at least had a choice to rent or not

Cruella DeVilla
16-06-2004, 04:39
I think in all honesty I would also like to know but it would probably put me off. Catch 22 situation really. Although most people do not rent a villa to stay in it all day, when the construction would be going on. Guess it ndepends of individual cases.
CDV[}:)]

chris c
17-06-2004, 00:55
As previously mentioned above, I have just been in this position. Initially I responded to enquiries, but anyone who came back expressing an interest was warned about the building work. With only one exception, I heard no more. I finally decided not even to bother to respond to enquiries until I was confident that the work would no longer be a problem i.e. there was only internal work and landscaping to do.
I would feel dreadful if I were responsible for spoiling someone's dream holiday.:(:(

Carla
17-06-2004, 01:22
Often though you'd be hard pushed to even realise that any building was going on. Take a trip round a development under construction, and you'll see what I mean.

The building starts around 8am and finishes before 4pm, generally, and it's very rarely noisy, so unless you were staying at the villa for the day, and the home next door was being built, you'd probably never even realise that anything was happening.

So much of the building work is "quiet". You are more likely to get fed up with listening to other people's kids yelling & squealing & splashing in the pool, than you are with any building work.

stavros47
17-06-2004, 02:09
We just had guest leave, who we did warn about the work going on and they said it was no problem at all. And this building is the next villa.
Another family due to go in July also said they did'nt think it was a problem as they would be in the parks all day

domster
20-06-2004, 12:41
I agree that you would have to be honest and let potential renters know there is building work going on.

I think it would only really put me off if it was right next door.

DOM

Genie
20-06-2004, 22:49
When we were over in March for the first time on closing the houses both side were being built, there wasn't much noise, they seemed to be there for a little while then gone then the same the next day, it really wasn't a problem, the builders were polite and spoke when they were there, they didn't seem to be in both at the same time all day long.

Jules
23-06-2004, 00:13
We stayed on Tuscan Ridge last November when we were out in florida buying our villa.There was building work going on nearby and as it was something I was concerned about, as we were buying on a new development, I was taking particular notice of any disruption caused by the builders.It really didn't bother us at all. The only noise we heard was some hammering the morning they put the shingles on the roof of the house across the road and a few large trucks passing the house a couple of times a day, this was not as bad as the noise we've had from nearby roads on more established communities and certainly not for as prolonged a period of time. We had been warned about it in advance but it caused no problems or disruption, apart from a punctured tyre on our first morning which turned out to be a nail in the tyre. The repair man from Dollar said this was commonplace when people stayed on new developments with on going building work but we had no further problem.

chrizzy100
23-06-2004, 04:57
The foreman where my house is just IMed me to say they start on the homes next to mine tomorrow.....so a lot of the dirty work should be done by the time I get down there in 4 weeks.........now that what I call service from a builder....an update on whats happening near your home on yahoo messenger.........:D:D

karenhaworth
23-06-2004, 21:04
When we went to stay at our Villa for the first time having just closed, I was so busy looking for it, that I drove over some wood with nails in it, which was in the road, and managed to puncture both a front and a rear tyre in one go.

I then had to call out the rental company to bring a replacement car

Colin