PDA

View Full Version : Best Route out of MCO

AndyC
07-06-2004, 02:49
We will be picking up a vehicle from Dollar on-site and travelling to a villa in Hampton Lakes. Can anyone suggest the best exit to take, either the north to pick up the BeeLine Express then on to I4 or would it be the south to pick up the 417 the on to the I4.

We will be arriving on a Saturday in August around 1530 which may or may not have any effect.

The main thing we would be trying to avoid would be traffic.

Carla
07-06-2004, 03:00
Take the South exit and use the 417 onto I4. Much better at any time of day, or season. Just make sure that you have some quarters for the toll.
:D:D:D

AndyC
07-06-2004, 03:06
I didn't realise the 417 was a toll road, thanks Carla.

Nostromo
07-06-2004, 10:53
I agree that the South Exit out of the airport via SR417 is the better one, since it is usually less crowded. Following the 'South Exit' sign out of MCO first gets you onto Boggy Creek Road; watch out for the correct turn into SR417. You need SR417 SOUTH which is a right fork that arrives rather suddenly and easy to miss if you are tired and distracted after a long flight. (Continuing straight takes you into SR417 North and away from your destination).

SR417 has 3 toll booths, at least one of them unmanned where you will need correct change in quarters. I think it is 75c there.

Keep on SR417 south until Exit #2 into Celebration (there is another unmanned 25c toll booth here) and follow signs to US192 West - turn left. Continue on US192 until it ends at its junction with US27. For Hampton Lakes, you need to 'carry on straight' as US192 merges into US27 South. Hampton Lakes are about 2 miles further south.

AndyC
07-06-2004, 13:17
Sounds good, even misses out the I4.....many thanks

Carla
07-06-2004, 13:48
AndyC, by carrying on the 417 until you merge with I4 going west, and then staying on the I4 down to junction 55, and then going North on US27 for a couple of miles, you can completely miss out highway 192.

The 192 can get very busy and has many traffic lights, especially as by the time that you arrive in the area it will be around 5.30 to 6pm when there will be more cars on the 192 with people going to restaurants etc. for dinner.

You could also come off I4 at junction 58, drive through ChampionsGate (Publix is here, so you might want to get some goodies), take a right onto CR54 and then when you get to the junction of CR54/US27 take a right and you're almost there at Hampton Lakes. Another quick route that locals and owners often use.

Jo
07-06-2004, 23:29
I thinks you'll need around $4 in small change to get from the airport. The tolls aren't like in France - you pay a little every so often rather than the whole amount in one go.

Jo

george
07-06-2004, 23:44
Andy
as has been said above take the 417 SOUTH. The signs for the 417 South as you leave the airport have a RED background.

chrisj
08-06-2004, 01:28
And its very easy to follow and the road is very wide and not packed

Malcolm
08-06-2004, 03:43
I always take the South exit and then on to the 417 Central Florida Greeneway. I don't go as far a 55 on I-4 though, I come off at 58 and take the shortcut through Champions gate.

huckleberry house
08-06-2004, 16:04
The route that Carla lists 417 joining I4, off at jct 58, along CR54 to US27 will be a lot easier and quicker than travelling along the 192 at that time of night, thats definitely what I would do.

Lesley

blott
08-06-2004, 18:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
And its very easy to follow and the road is very wide and not packed
[/quote]Chris, is this the route you use? If so, it's not the quickest to Crescent Lakes...

chrisj
08-06-2004, 18:51
Erm you got me there, think we got onto the 417, but will check when I get home and let
you know the route, Im sure there was a better route

chrisj
08-06-2004, 19:00
Yep

We came out of the car park took the South exit onto the 417, then off onto the 535 / 536 then
onto the 192 and then down Poinciana. Just checked my desk and thats the route I had written
down for last year

blott
08-06-2004, 19:41
In that case, try this next time:

Follow signs to 528 WEST (Beeline Expressway) showing ORLANDO & TAMPA
IGNORE SIGNS TO KISSIMMEE VIA 417 SOUTH (GREENWAY)

Take 528 WEST through 2 toll plazas to the JOHN YOUNG PARKWAY EXIT
NB Please ensure that you have change or small dollar notes for tolls which are currently both 75 cents

Turn left onto JOHN YOUNG PARKWAY and proceed approximately 8 miles - JOHN YOUNG PARKWAY is also known as BERMUDA AVENUE

Continue through the intersection of Highway 192 (VINE STREET), past Albertson's Supermarket, which is on the right

After several traffic light junctions, you will cross over a railway bridge

Continue to the next traffic light junction with Pleasant Hill Road (Eckerd and Walgreens pharmacies/drug stores are on the left corners) and go STRAIGHT

At the next traffic light junction - there are two garages/gas stations on the RIGHT corners and one is the 7-eleven

TURN LEFT into South Poiniciana Boulevard (signposted POINCIANA)

Continue on South Poinciana Boulevard (past MacLane Suneast, Poinciana High School and Reedy Creek Elementary School all on your RIGHT)

A short distance after Reedy Creek Elementary School, you'll see the entrance to CRESCENT LAKES on your RIGHT

Turn RIGHT into CRESCENT LAKES

You'll probably know where you are half way through this anyway and it cuts off a corner of the triangle!

chrisj
09-06-2004, 01:24
Cheers Blott

Will print that off and take with us,

Must admit was thinking of going down the 417 and getting off either at OBT or John Young Parkway
and then down to the 192, turn right turn left into Oral Brown by walmart then onto Poinciana

Thats a route we used last year when we were coming back from somewhere

Do you know if the tolls on your route are 'manned' or should I say 'personned' :)

blott
09-06-2004, 02:09
Best avoid the 192 I think because of the, er, roadworks ;) and you're going out of your way slightly. Still, if you just really can't wait for a 'fix' from your favourite road...

Yes, the tolls are personned Chris! :D:D

chrisj
09-06-2004, 02:16
Blott

Just checked a map,

So for your route

Roughly I take the North Exit (Black Sign) onto the 528 junction then head west

Get off onto John Young parkway and follow your directions which should bring me
in via OBT

Is that right ??? or have I got it wrong (remember I am a man )

:D

blott
09-06-2004, 02:57
It sounds about right Chris although I have no idea if the exit sign is black (how do you know that from a map?) - I just follow the green one saying 528 west after I've picked up the Dollar car! ;)

When you go back :( you just turn the directions upside down (I'm a blonde female!). :D

chrisj
09-06-2004, 03:30
:D:D I will remember to turn it upside down then

Its a driving directions site that shows piccies of all the signs, when you come out you
have a choice SOUTH (RED Sign) which takes you to the 417, or the NORTH (BLACK sign) which
takes you to the 528.

So assume I take the North exit

Well thats how it looks to me

:)

blott
09-06-2004, 04:10
That sounds about right to me too. I think the John Young Parkway exit is number 3.

It's a useful route as it takes you past two supermarkets (Albertsons mentioned in the directions) and also the Publix at the junction with Pleasant Hill Road (the junction with the Eckerds and Wallgreens pharmacies, only on the right side of the road) which is handy for picking up supplies on the way.

chrisj
09-06-2004, 13:01
:D You just want me to have to stop so the wife can go shopping dont you :D

Thanks for the route, Will use it as it seems to be the better of the 2, and even
better than my own devised route :)

blott
09-06-2004, 16:03
It's the route used by all our guests and I've only lost one person (who obviously couldn't read directions as they peeled off the 17/92 up Pleasant Hill Road!). :D

chrisj
09-06-2004, 16:39
:D:D Will let you know how we get on

Karen
10-06-2004, 19:04
Chris, if it is of help I give my guests 2 directions, either along the BeeWay or going along the Greenway as far as the John Young Parkway. Anyway, have a look and see if it is of help.

DIRECTIONS – ORLANDO AIRPORT TO COUNTRYSIDE MANOR

Please keep these easily accessible in your hand luggage.
Note: In Florida the signs that hang above you at a crossing signify the road that you are crossing and not the road that you are on!

1. If picking up your car on Airport then follow the signs for South Kissimmee leading you to the Greenway 417 (The signs for the 417 South as you leave the airport have a RED background)

2. Take the Greenway as far as John Young Parkway (exit 10) Turn off and take the John Young Parkway south (the left hand fork) The Greenway is a toll road so you will need some $1 notes and some 25cent coins.

3. If picking up your hire car from McCoy Road head west along the Beeline Expressway 528. There are two tolls – change is available but pick the correct lane and have money ready. Turn off right at the John Young Parkway exit, and then head South. This means turning left across a dual carriageway when you come off the slip road and then passing back under the 528 Beeline Expressway.

4. Stay on the Parkway. After an initial clear run you will come to lots of junctions with traffic lights. You will pass Hunters Creek, Osceola Parkway, Carroll Street, Donegan Avenue, Columbia Street, Vine Street (the 192), Oak Street, Emmett Street and Patrick Street.

5. After you have passed the signs for Downtown Kissimmee (at Emmett Street) you will go over a railway bridge and then come to a less built up area. Within a couple of miles from this point there is a junction with traffic lights. McDonalds, KFC and Publixs Supermarket will be on your right. Go straight over these lights. A mile or so from here you will need to turn left at another set of traffic lights. Here there will be two petrol stations on your right, and Poincianna Boulevard is clearly signposted on your left with a blue sign saying “ Poincianna – an Avatar Community ”

6. You will pass Poincianna High School, Crescent Lakes and Doral Woods. Two miles from Doral Woods on your right you will come to Countryside Manor.

chrisj
10-06-2004, 19:11
Thanks Karen

Will keep a copy

I like your note about keeping the instructions handy, last year someone (ok me) had put
everything in the case. Luckily I had studied the route so mnay times that all was well.

Karen
11-06-2004, 02:58
Chris, guess what? I quite often forget to take our instructions and we end up going all sorts of different ways. Just to test them out, you understand.[msnwink]

I like Blott's directions also, and if Blott does not mind, will include a couple of points with my instructions in future. But I do not want to give the guests information overload with to many things to look out for[msnsmile2]

chrisj
11-06-2004, 03:15
You know once we went on holiday, got there, unpacked walked down to the bar for a drink, guess
who left his wallet at home with the spending money in

I always do something wrong, guess its in my nature :D

Actually I think both your routes are good

jolliffee
03-07-2004, 17:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
:D:D I will remember to turn it upside down then

Its a driving directions site that shows piccies of all the signs, when you come out you
have a choice SOUTH (RED Sign) which takes you to the 417, or the NORTH (BLACK sign) which
takes you to the 528.

So assume I take the North exit

Well thats how it looks to me

:)
[/quote]

Chris, any chance you could share the sites URL with us. I have been looking for a good site?

Dave.

chrisj
04-07-2004, 00:13
Dave

Ive sent you a DM

Wandsworth Wizard
04-08-2004, 12:14
I am staying on Hampton Lakes in October. How long would it take to drive to HL from MCO via the 417 and Champions Gate. My flight arrives at 16.40 on a Saturday. Thankyou

Nostromo
04-08-2004, 13:03
It would depend a lot on the traffic. If the flight arrives on time, it will be still rush hour by the time you complete the formalities at the airport and start out. I would allow about an hour; usually, it is less than that if the traffic flow is steady and there are no hold-ups. Also, you may be tired after a long flight. There were some roadworks on the SR417 near the Landstar exits, but I expect they would be finished by now.

jolliffee
04-08-2004, 14:54
I agree with Nostromo, the traffic could be heavy but most of all you'll be adjusting to lots of things so just take it steady. I mostly stay in the slow lane a follow the driver in front, about an hour would be right.

Wandsworth Wizard
04-08-2004, 17:33
Thanks for the information.

tezz7628
06-08-2004, 19:13
just to clarify really

your saying theres still a rush hour even during the weekend in this case saturday

Nostromo
06-08-2004, 19:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
just to clarify really

your saying theres still a rush hour even during the weekend in this case saturday
[/quote]

Probably not as much as on a weekday, but there does appear to be a lot of traffic going South on SR417 even on a Saturday. This may reflect a lot of flights arriving at MCO in the late afternoon. Moreover, new arrivals from the UK will be tired after a long flight and will be taking it easy anyway.

CarolAnn
29-08-2004, 13:15
Very Useful guys. Thankyou:) I will need to write these down soon[:p]