PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning

Julie
06-06-2004, 14:39
Hi

Can any of you lucky people living in Florida please tell me the cost of Air conditioning per month. I have been told it is really expensive. How long over day do you run it and how much.

Thank you

Julie

blott
06-06-2004, 16:08
Air con, like your home central heating, is usually run by a thermostat alone (unlike your central heating). So it normally runs 24/7 but, depending on the temperature you set on the thermostat, it may be on or off for some periods.

If you remember to turn it up to about 80 when you go out and down to whatever you find comfortable when you come back, then you can save some money on your electricity bills. You can get an automatic thermostat with time periods which will adjust the temperature automatically for you and save you having to remember to do this.

Ceiling fans in every room may also cut down your costs if you use these and leave the room doors open so that the thermostat (and your family!) thinks it may be cooler than it actually is.

Don't forget that your air con is also your heating so you'll use it during all seasons of the year but some months more than others.

Electricity bills run from about $250+ a month, depending on the season, the size of the home and how cool/hot you like to be.

wilfy
06-06-2004, 16:09
Julie,
depends on what time of year. During July/August when occupied we pay $250 for the electic to run it. But of course during say march or november it would not kick in. We have ours set to 'cool' from 78 degrees, so in the hotter months it would be going nearly all the time.

chrizzy100
06-06-2004, 17:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie
Hi

Can any of you lucky people living in Florida please tell me the cost of Air conditioning per month. I have been told it is really expensive. How long over day do you run it and how much.

Thank you

Julie

[/quote]

I run my MA homes A/C most of the summer months it adds about $70 to my bill per month......mine is very old...so its running flatout in the 90 degree heat most of the day most of the summer..my son also has an A/C unit running 24/7 in his bedroom in the attic....where its still in the 100s if just using our central air...electic costs a lot more where I live then in FL......I have my a/c running at between 78 and 81 in FL..its empty most of the time....and my bill is around $37 a month so far......I still have my water heating and fridge freezer on..plus a light.....