PDA

View Full Version : interstate junctions

tezz7628
06-06-2004, 00:07
as anybody figured out yet if when approaching an interstate junction you should be on the left or right of the road

blott
06-06-2004, 02:25
I only know off hand one left side exit on the I4 and that's heading up past Universal Studios in Orlando. 99% are on a right peel.

If you're talking about making room for those entering, then the middle lane is best!

adh619
06-06-2004, 02:51
Some I4 junctions (from Miami) are on the left, about 2 or 3 as I recall, I4 was also renumbered some time ago so make sure you double check. Try *** we have found it a good site.

Tony

tezz7628
06-06-2004, 14:33
sorry you seem to have misunderstood me

i mean approaching the interstate from an ordinary road
which side should you be on

adh 619 your answer seems to have been blocked

blott
06-06-2004, 16:02
If you're entering an Interstate from a slip road, it's usually safest to stay in the right lane as you enter the Interstate because the oncoming traffic gets to you last that way!

tezz7628
07-06-2004, 00:56
sorry still got me wrong

imagine travelling west on an ordinary road approaching an interstate junction

you are going to turn north

sometimes this can be a right turn directly onto the interstate
and other times you turn left

is there any way of knowing before hand whether you will be turning right or left

thanks

blott
07-06-2004, 02:53
Crumbs, this has turned into a mega awkward question! ;)

Not really unless you know the direction you're travelling on the road you're already on and the direction you're wanting to turn. Although even this sometimes doesn't work as you'll find a 'curly' slip road on the right, even though you're actually going left. You normally get a good amount of notice before you get to the junction so that you can change lanes as necessary.

If you're in unfamiliar territory and you miss the sign, it's usually pretty easy to go straight and then turn off right or left to turn around and go back to the junction again. Better to do that than risk having an accident and trying to get across a lot of traffic if you've got into the wrong lane by mistake. My husband used to be my navigator and, now he's not here, I usually do a lot of turning around so I'm and expert at that now!

tezz7628
09-06-2004, 00:17
right blott were both on the same road now

you say you normally get a bit of notice before the junction thats my problem

i can't say i've noticed anything except when you have reached the jctn of course

mostly on my own like you so gone thru jctns as you have which as you can tell by my thread i want to avoid

blott
09-06-2004, 02:17
Don't you remember seeing, for instance, the junction marked overhead some distance from it (about half to a mile before) giving you the road number and where it's going and then you get the sign that says 'exit only' overhead with an arrow indicating the lane you should be in if you want to peel off there about 600 yards or so before the turn and then the turn itself.

tezz7628
09-06-2004, 02:39
i understand the signs for approaching the interstate are all there but the problem is are you going to turn left or right to get onto the interstate

and as yu know if you make the wrong choice you end up passing thru the jctn, turn round and come in again from the other side which we don't want to do!!

blott
09-06-2004, 02:48
Didn't I answer that already? The peel off signs are normally over the correct lane which you need to be in to peel off!

tezz7628
10-06-2004, 00:15
does anybody know where i can download examples of traffic signs as an aid please?

blott
10-06-2004, 02:39
Try Chapter 4 here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/