PDA

View Full Version : Good Shops, Bad Shops

Nostromo
04-06-2004, 11:05
Taking up from George's thread about bargains, I always felt that shopping in the USA can cut both ways. There are great outlets in the malls and even at big name stores like Nieman Marcus, Macy's or Bloomingdales one can sometimes get offers that are very good value, especially compared with the UK prices.

But by the same token, there are extremely dodgy tourist traps that sell absolute trash dressed-up to look like quality goods. A lot of 'Discount' shops along US192 and occasionally even I-Drive come under this category and can easily catch out the unwary visitor. It is amazing how some of them get away with their dodgy deals - I don't think that would have been possible for long in the UK.

I think the old adage 'penny wise but pound foolish' can apply easily in Orlando if one is not careful. I had to 'rescue' my sister-in-law and her husband on more than one occasion from being ripped off.

setphaserstostun
27-07-2005, 22:14
So true.
Thanks for bringing that up.
I'll make sure to check everything out if I feel remotely uneasy about handing over the cash from now on.

Cruella DeVilla
27-07-2005, 23:11
Gosh, thought for a minute he was back[msneek]

LiesaAnna
27-07-2005, 23:17
:( me too! shame hes not!!! we miss him!

KJH
28-07-2005, 01:45
Well he had to work sometime, perhaps he has a lot of catching up to do[msnwink]

Rocco
11-08-2005, 01:25
The worst ones are those gift shops on 192. The ones that sell really horribly made 'Florida' clothes for extortionate prices or the ones that claim everything for a dollar or 6 t-shirts for $10 until you walk in and then you find out there's small print you didn't see from a distance.

One of the worst culprits is that gift shop that links onto Golden Corral on 192. See their ad...free gift with every Golden Corral receipt. Next time you're there go and claim your 'gift' haha.

Also remember when shopping...how many British people think 'I must NOT stand out as a tourist' and then go buying clothes shouting FLORIDA or ENGLAND on them while their kids wear virgin atlantic caps and backpacks! I think we've all done something similar, but how much more do you want to stand out?