PDA

View Full Version : Fire or Ice?

Nostromo
03-06-2004, 00:35
I am interested to find out how my fellow coaster fans compare 'Fire' and 'Ice' of Duelling Dragons. They are both great rides, of course, but personally I would give Ice a slight edge over its rival. Fire is marginally faster and has 3 big loops, while Ice has 2 loops and that twisty corner that brings us with the close encounter with the castle wall. It is because of this variation that I give Ice the extra point.

Sharon G
03-06-2004, 01:48
Nostromo

Got to be ICE.....we went on about 5 times on our last visit obviously riding both fire and Ice!!![msneek]

I think the angles that Ice loops at are far better than fire and we personally prefered it....must have done to go on it again[msnsmile2]

mikewj
03-06-2004, 14:34
We always go on Ice.

It always seems to give the better ride in terms of drops, twists, turns and near misses.

RubAyr
03-06-2004, 15:05
Another vote for ICE. Went on Fire once and felt really squeamish when I got off so I've never been back on it...just incase [xx(]

imported_n/a
03-06-2004, 15:14
Most definitley ICE! Because of all the near misses, and also because blue is my favourite colour![msnsmile2]lol!

Angua
03-06-2004, 16:07
Have to agree and say Ice, in particular the back row. That's the only time, I've ever felt the effects of mild motion-sickness so it must be pretty intense! Fire just makes me laugh from beginning to end, just like the rest of the rides in Orlando as I always feel so jubilant.... but I also laugh when I'm nervous so perhaps it's the latter rather than the former![:o)]

tinkerbell
03-06-2004, 16:16
ICE ICE baby!

Love the colours too, I'm such a girly girl!

boo-yeh
03-06-2004, 17:28
Blimey... first time visiting these coasters for my family - any point in going on 'FIRE'. So far the 'ICE' has it?!?

Ruth
03-06-2004, 21:48
We have not been to IOA yet[:I]What is the height restriction for these rides?

Rhosyn
03-06-2004, 22:17
Ruth
have just looked it up for you the height restriction for fire and ice is 54"
Beryl

Ruth
03-06-2004, 22:20
Thanks Beryl:)Harriet has a while to wait then;)

Rhosyn
03-06-2004, 22:26
Here is some information height restrictions at islands of Adventure

Jurassic Park ...must be at least 40"
Pteranodon flyers.......36"
Dueling dragons fire and ice...54"
flying Unicorn ....36"
The Cat in the Hat under 48" accompanied by adult
Caro-Seuss-e same as Cat in Hat
Dudley Do-rights ripsaw Falls ......44"
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges ....42"
Hulk......54"
Spider Man ....40"
Doctor Doom's Fearfall....52"
Storm Force Accelatron..under 48" accompanied by an adult.

Beryl anyone who is going have a great time

Nostromo
03-06-2004, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by boo-yeh
Blimey... first time visiting these coasters for my family - any point in going on 'FIRE'. So far the 'ICE' has it?!?
[/quote]

You really have to do them both since they are different. Both are very good rides and it would be a pity to miss either; it is just that many of us feel that ICE is marginally better than her fiery brother because of the variations and unexpected encounters.

tinkerbell
09-06-2004, 21:00
And the lovely colours....???!!!!! [msncool][msnembarrased]

Nostromo
09-06-2004, 23:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell
And the lovely colours....???!!!!! [msncool][msnembarrased]
[/quote]

All right then...the colours as well. [msnsmile2][msnsmile2] I also prefer blue to red. Actually, my favourite colour is Green, but I still think Kraken (blue) is better than the Hulk (green).

imported_n/a
10-06-2004, 01:07
Lol! Finally someone agrees with the colours! yay! [msntongue]

tinkerbell
10-06-2004, 23:14
Ice even has purple bits on it which is my favourite colour! [msnsmile2]

Hulk is pretty impressive in it's green metallic, although Kraken too has a certain eye catching appeal, hmm I'll have to think about this one!!

boo-yeh
11-06-2004, 12:36
Colours???! You people really are refined... I just like a ride which when it finishes you aren't sure if your vital organs are where they started - usually are (I think) although maybe not the brain.... hmmm![^]

sunseeker
12-06-2004, 03:53
montu is quite colourful.[msnsmile][msnsmile]

Dave

imported_n/a
12-06-2004, 16:30
Yeah, I went on Montu years ago, just aftetr it opened and it was my favourite ride at busch, except for the log flume, where you can stand on the bridge and get soaked! lol! [msntongue] Infact all of the rollercoasters are really colourful! [msnsmile2]

tinkerbell
20-06-2004, 21:36
I was kidding by the way!!! I think all of the rides look so great when new, it's such a shame not to mention it!

Think that Hulk or Kraken is my fave but really couldn't say which. I'd probably say Hulk cos that means a day with much more thrills than SeaWorld, watching animals 'perform' for food is not my idea of a great day out. Sea World never used to be so obvious about it, but it now seems that at every opportunity to do so, they chuck a person in the water with the animals. That's another thread though...!

rainyday
16-07-2004, 16:57
Do Fire and Ice have separate queues or do you choose when you get to the top of the Duelling Dragons queue? Thanks.

Nostromo
16-07-2004, 17:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rainyday
Do Fire and Ice have separate queues or do you choose when you get to the top of the Duelling Dragons queue? Thanks.
[/quote]

The same queue till you get close to the rides and then it splits-up. There are also separate queues for the front rows of each ride. These usually have a longer wait, but certainly worth it. This is because, you can see the other coaster approaching for the 'duels'

One strategy that works well for DD is to do IoA anti-clockwise. You then get to DD by mid-morning, when the queues are sparse. Also, try to go on a Tuesday - for some reason, IoA seems less popular on that day!

bridget
19-07-2004, 03:54
Go on both but I prefer Ice.

popintune
12-08-2004, 17:43
i seem to be one of the odd ones out![:I] as i think that fire is better because of the speed!

lozza

Lesley 999
16-08-2004, 00:31
I also must be odd as I prefer Fire. Did front row on both last week and found Fire much faster. Did overhear someone saying as we left IOA that you should do front of Fire and back of Ice! O well maybe another year!!!

Nostromo
16-08-2004, 11:04
Fire is certainly a bit faster and has 3 big loops to Ice's two. But Ice offers more twisty cornering and that unexpected close encounter with the castle wall that gives it an edge for thrills over Fire.

Elaine311
19-08-2004, 16:29
I only managed to do Ice [msnsad] Queued for front row seat, 15 seconds into the ride and the heavens opened. And boy, does the rain sting when you're in the front row! Don't know about screaming but I was certainly saying "Oooh, ouch! Owww!!" all the way round! It was brilliant though. Unfortunately the ride then closed for the remainder of the evening - but the Hulk did open again and I got to do it instead :D

chunkichik
15-11-2004, 01:41
I liked fire the best!!!! It was raining when we went and even a bit of a thunderstorm, but the ride never closed down!! I went on fire and then ice with my brother and then straight back on again fire and then ice. WICKED[clap][clap]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
21-01-2005, 23:53
Duelling Dragons is the best coaster i have been on up to now,although The Hulk and Kraken push it close.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005121195017_ICE.jpg

Ray&Sarah
22-01-2005, 02:28
Wow great photo.[msnsmile2]

My son says that fire is the best, but his dad thinks ice!![msnsmile2]

Sally D
22-01-2005, 02:45
I don't go on this ride[msnscared], but husband and 3 daughters all say ice.

domster
22-02-2005, 11:18
has to be ICE for me as well.

Top tip: when you get off ask if you can go back on the other to fill the empty spaces as a single rider. I did it loads of times last year. Works a treat as they send you back through the turnstile

mrsz06
13-05-2006, 19:43
I would say Ice. I always ride Ice first then go to Fire.

jackie greaves
23-06-2006, 14:37
Just caught up with this thread. I love both these rides. Have done them both in the front seat and both in the dark. Fantastic. I think I prefere Fire if I had to choose.

lorraine51
24-06-2006, 02:24
Ice for us too.