PDA

View Full Version : Back from Trip - lost camera

mandyc
02-06-2004, 19:45
Hi all got back on Sunday 30th May, had a fantastic holiday staying in Emerald Island weather was superb and holiday was enjoyed by all. Emerald Island was gorgeous and was very happy with the villa which we rented via Travel City Direct. The only downside that was at the airport we realised that my husband had left our video camera back at the villa, now the management company are unable to locate it. Its a great shame has the camera holds all are happy memories of a great and well enjoyed holiday......

Nostromo
02-06-2004, 19:53
I am sorry that your holiday was spoilt by the loss of the camcorder. Apart from the financial implications, I know what it feels like to 'lose memories'. On our recent visit, I accidentally deleted 205 digital images from my memory card, wiping out great pictures from our visit to Old Town, Typhoon Lagoon and Universal Studios.

Could you not persuade the caretakers to seach again - a bit harder? After all, if your husband did leave it behind in the villa, where else could it have gone? Perhaps he may recall when he last saw it or WHERE he could have left it?

mandyc
03-06-2004, 13:18
Sorry to hear about your pix... Its just so annoying isn't it. It's the same with our camcorder images of Universal/Old Town etc. Management Co are holding a full investigation (what that entails I really don't know) It was definitely left there and now it's not.. draw your own conclusions from that I feel..
:(
Still it was a good holiday and this will be put down to experience... always recheck villa, or what I should be saying is recheck after my hubby has checked!!!!

Nostromo
03-06-2004, 13:25
One thought. If you had rented a car, could it be possible that the hubby left it in the car after you checked out of the villa but did not realise it? Is it worth contacting your Car Hire company (if there is one)?

From what I saw of the villas and management companies, I feel they would most certainly do a thorough job of searchng for it - and finding it if it is still in the villa. If it is there, you'll be informed straightaway. I don't think there is any reason to draw 'alternative conclusions'.

mandyc
04-06-2004, 01:11
We did check the car so have already ruled this out. It was definitely at the villa.
The management company have been very supportive and are tracing everyone who had access to the property.

Achilles2k
07-06-2004, 02:39
Mandy - That is sad news. Hope you get some joy out of the 'investigation'.

Nostromo - Just finished reading your trip report - excellent - thank you. As far as your deleting 205 of your digital pictures from your camera, all may not be lost. IF you have not taken any more pictures on the same card since you deleted them they probably can ALL be recovered! You may still be able to get some of them back, depending on how much use you have made of the card . . . let me know and I will post details.

Regards,

Nigel

orlandobabe
14-06-2004, 01:43
Just caught up with this thread.

Did anything come to light after the man co made some more investigations.

Once some very valuable jewellry was left in our villa. Fortunately I was the person to find it. We were over a night early and stayed in a hotel so popped round the next day before the cleaners to dump our luggage-and something just made me open a drawer in the master suite-and there it was. My heart was going pit a pat as I wasn't very happy with that particular man co at the time and the jewellery could so easily have gone missing.

I hardly slept a wink until the lady concerned rang to tell me that she had received it!

I hope your camera turns up-but it's looking rather worrying that it may not.

mandyc
14-06-2004, 19:59
I wish people were all as honest as you. It looks like our camcorder is lost forever along with our tapes. Man.co have gone very quiet on subject and TCD basically have doubted that we even left it there. They have stated that no one would have taken it as it has no value in the US due to compatibility.

ujpest doza
14-06-2004, 20:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mandyc
I wish people were all as honest as you. It looks like our camcorder is lost forever along with our tapes. Man.co have gone very quiet on subject and TCD basically have doubted that we even left it there. They have stated that no one would have taken it as it has no value in the US due to compatibility.
[/quote]

No value due to compatability, yeah right!
Anyone taking that and then selling it on to someone in a pub won't give 2 hoots about compatability.
There is always a way to get things to work in any case.

Keep the pressure on, possibly ask for the police to get involved, that might scare those involved if nothing else.

mandyc
15-06-2004, 18:43
I think involving the police is now are next step, TCD have already said that we need to prove a 'break in' what are they talking about, we didn't ever say there was a break in we just told them we had left it there!!!
It seems they are trying to protect the Man.co and those involved, its just a shame they don't look after their clients instead of trying to say that were dishonest...

Carla
15-06-2004, 19:19
I am NOT for one moment suggesting that you have done what I am talking about below, so PLEASE don't take this in the wrong way. I am just trying to give you some idea as to why having initially investigated this, no one is really "leaping about" to try and solve this for you.

It's very sad Mandy, but unfortunately it is not at all unusual for overseas visitors to claim that something has either been stolen from the home or left behind. It is almost always an electrical item of value too. Break-ins to villas have been reported to the Sheriff, and strangely enough only electrical items belonging to the guests have been stolen - in spite of the fact that the home itself has items of much greater value and more easy to sell on.

It's a sad world, sometimes, and the MC having made enquiries and being unable to find the camera, will be expecting you to claim it from your insurance. Someone somewhere has got it, but no one will be able to prove who that person is.

It is highly unlikely that the police will consider getting involved.

ujpest doza
15-06-2004, 20:50
If it has been left at the villa, then surely the only person(s) with access to it would be key holders employed by the MC or if it has a keypad entrance then an employee or former employee who knows the entry number must have taken it.

As Carla says, it is difficult to prove that you left it there but insurance companies like to see police reports to substantiate claims.

chrizzy100
15-06-2004, 20:59
I've started buying throwaway cameras.....I know you can't do that with a video......but for everyday picture taking......I love them.........the ones with a free disk are my fav........

Nostromo
15-06-2004, 21:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mandyc
I wish people were all as honest as you. [/quote]

You'll be surprised how honest some people can be. My wife lost her handbag with over $400 cash, all her credit cards, a valuable brooch and her Disney Hopper Plus ticket in it while standing in the queue for 'Dinosaur!' at AK. It was almost an hour before she even realised the fact - and then was not sure where she had lost it. We reported it to 'lost and found' without much hope. In fact, it had been returned already without so much as a penny missing.

chrisj
16-06-2004, 01:54
I agree Nostromo, I think there are more honest people in this world, which makes it a great
place to be

mandyc
16-06-2004, 20:03
Carla
I understand what you are saying and that yes some people do try things on just to get some money out of insurance companies. The villa did have a key pad lock so I suppose if anyone new the combination then yes they could have gained access. What was annoying is that we were at the airport at 6pm when we noticed the bag was not there, my neice remembers it being just inside the villa before we left, if we had only noticed it was missing earlier we could have gone back to the villa and investigated it for ourselves.. but then how many people had already been in and out of there..

tezz7628
09-07-2004, 21:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Achilles2k
Mandy - That is sad news. Hope you get some joy out of the 'investigation'.

Nostromo - Just finished reading your trip report - excellent - thank you. As far as your deleting 205 of your digital pictures from your camera, all may not be lost. IF you have not taken any more pictures on the same card since you deleted them they probably can ALL be recovered! You may still be able to get some of them back, depending on how much use you have made of the card . . . let me know and I will post details.

Regards,

Nigel
[/quote]

nigel did you know you can use the <span style="color:red">DM</span id="red"> messaging service to contact members, have done for you

it looks like it might have been missed :D

Achilles2k
11-07-2004, 02:45
tezz7628

Thanks for your concern. As it happens Nostromo and I have exchanged several DM's on this subject. :)

Regards,