PDA

View Full Version : Apple mini Ipod

GerardH
02-06-2004, 16:19
5th August is our date for a re-visit to Orlando (last time there was 1996).

I was thinking about buying a mini Ipod (MP3 player) when there (they won't be relased in the UK until late July).

Anyone know of stores that sell this sort of thing (the equivalent to Dixons in the UK) in Orlando area.

many thanks

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-06-2004, 16:24
They were all sold out when we went in March. Best places we found were CompUSA and Circuit City - both on OBT by the Florida Mall. There is also an Apple store in the Mall At Millenia which will have them if anyone does.

TonyBlenk
02-06-2004, 16:33
John,
The Apple store is at the Mall of Millenia, not the Florida Mall.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-06-2004, 16:38
Ooops - that's what I meant to say [msnembarrased]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TonyBlenk
John,
The Apple store is at the Mall of Millenia, not the Florida Mall.
[/quote]

TonyBlenk
02-06-2004, 16:46
For totally misleading Gerard, you should perhaps offer to buy him an iPod as a way of an apology!

mikewj
02-06-2004, 16:49
With an Orlando Villas logo on the front :D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-06-2004, 17:06
Now there's an idea [msnwink].

I must admit I would not part with my Ipod for anything ... one of the most useful and handy things I've bought.

TonyBlenk
02-06-2004, 17:16
I agree.
What UK site do you use/recommend for downloading music? I used to use the free (now illegal) sites, but don't know which to now use.

chrisj
02-06-2004, 17:19
You could try winmx.com, have used it in the past and its ok

mikewj
02-06-2004, 19:19
Kazaa lite is the choice for people I know who download music. Its a full peer to peer system that's had all of the spyware removed.

You should be able to find it through google.

On the subject of MP3 Jukebox type things, there's a new 20/40GB machine arriving in the UK soon that's been mentioned on a couple of camera sites recently.

The I-River H300 series comes with a colour screen that allows you to view .jpg and .bmp files, USB On The Go which allows you to plug any USB device directly into it for use as a portable hard drive and up to 50hrs battery life for around £300.

Food for thought if you're looking to buy an I-Pod.

andrewmckay5
02-06-2004, 20:24
Hi All,
slight tangent but maybe someone can help; I've lost all data on my PC including all music. Is there a way of transfering the music on my IPOD back to PC ( Windows not apple)?

thanks
andrew

phaedra
02-06-2004, 20:49
Just drag and drop it via the USB connection.

On the subject of IPods, they are proving to be very poorly built, failure rates are a lot higher than the competition, Creative Muvo2, I-River, Archos G-Mini etc. They also use non-standard 4Gb microdrives that have been modified by Hitachi at Apples request to be non-CF standard compatible.

I bought an Archos 20Gb G-Mini220 from Amazon.com for about $300 (£168) and picked it up from our friends in Florida last visit, it's built like a tank and has the advantage of a built-in CF card socket so I can directly plug in and transfer files from my cameras 1Gb microdrive or CF cards and take as many pictures as I want in full Raw format :)

andrewmckay5
02-06-2004, 21:05
Jeff,
"drag and drop", can you explain the process and make it idiot proof if its not too much trouble.
many thanks
andrew

mikewj
03-06-2004, 14:30
Not sure exactly how I-Pods work, but presume that when connected to your PC it appears in Windows Explorer as a removable hard drive with full file and directory listings.

If so, you should be able to move the files from the I-Pod back to your hard drive just like moving files around your PC.

So effectively, you're dragging them from your I-Pod and dropping them into your PC's hard drive.

Hope this helps.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-06-2004, 14:37
They do appear like an extra hard drive but I think they are saved in a different way. The easiest way of doing it is to drag and drop using the Apple iTunes software that comes with the iPod.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj
Not sure exactly how I-Pods work, but presume that when connected to your PC it appears in Windows Explorer as a removable hard drive with full file and directory listings.

If so, you should be able to move the files from the I-Pod back to your hard drive just like moving files around your PC.

So effectively, you're dragging them from your I-Pod and dropping them into your PC's hard drive.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

GerardH
03-06-2004, 15:27
Thanks the info folks.

I am bit concerned about the failure rates you spoke of Phaedra. Have you any links to reviews that give more detials? I don't want to get one (esp from the USA) and have no where to bring it back to if there is a fault (and althought it may be a nice excuse to get back to Florida I'm not the sure the bank manager will go for it LOL!!)

Angua
03-06-2004, 15:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by GerardH
Thanks the info folks.

I am bit concerned about the failure rates you spoke of Phaedra. Have you any links to reviews that give more detials? I don't want to get one (esp from the USA) and have no where to bring it back to if there is a fault (and althought it may be a nice excuse to get back to Florida I'm not the sure the bank manager will go for it LOL!!)

[/quote]

Hubbie and I purchased a mini Ipod on our early March trip from the Apple store in Millenia Mall. Everywhere was sold out, demand has been incredible, but the Apple store did have an idea of when new stock was arriving so recommended that we gave the store a call to check the stock position each morning around that date before we headed out to the parks etc. We then reserved the Ipod and collected it later that day.

The Warranty is worldwide in any event and in fact, our friend is in the process of using it as he found that his sound quality had reduced very slightly. I'll have to find out how he got on.

mikewj
03-06-2004, 16:00
During my investigations into which player to buy, I got the overriding impression that I-Pods are very good for their looks and iTunes.

If you want good build and sound quality buy something else.

I ended up with the I-River IHP140 which suited my needs as a 40GB MP3 Jukebox/mass storage device and is even used as a benchmark by a German audio magazine when testing/reviewing new systems.

My MP3s come from the net or from my own huge CD collection, so there's no need for iTunes and I like the sleek, black design of the IHP-140, although I have to admit that the I-Pod looks far sexier.

Good UK sites that sell all manner of MP3 players (and have forums for advice) are :

www.advancedmp3player.co.uk
www.mp3players.co.uk

The cheapest place on the net for a lot of MP3 players (they now sell the IHP-140 for £240ish)is :

www.3dsolutions.co.uk

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-06-2004, 16:21
My 40Gb iPod had been really good so far - looks great, nice and sturdy, music quality excellent and iTunes software is the best there is. Very hard to beat [msnsmile2].

Daybreak
04-06-2004, 15:29
Hi
Could anyone help. We are off to Florida in July and my son would like to purchase an MP3 player (Iriver). Would it be compatable with our PC in England and is there any differences between the one we could buy in England?

Thanks
Dawn

chrisj
04-06-2004, 15:45
Yes it should be compatable with your Pc, the thing to watch out for is the charger, as this
would be a USA one and not ~English,

Angua
04-06-2004, 16:02
If you don't already have a UKtoUS transformer, there is a neat little universal plug system sold as an accessory by Apple. I've seen cheaper options but it does purport to have worldwide plug options.

phaedra
04-06-2004, 21:21
Have a look here,

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/ipod_reliability_reports.html#reports

05-06-2004, 13:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by GerardH
5th August is our date for a re-visit to Orlando (last time there was 1996).

I was thinking about buying a mini Ipod (MP3 player) when there (they won't be relased in the UK until late July).

Anyone know of stores that sell this sort of thing (the equivalent to Dixons in the UK) in Orlando area.

many thanks

[/quote]

We have 4 ipods the 5 gig, 10 gig and 2 x 20 gig, for the extra $'s I would get the full size ipod as opposed to the mini, they look pretty but don't hold anywhere near the amount of songs they say they will.

They are fab though!!

05-06-2004, 13:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Hi All,
slight tangent but maybe someone can help; I've lost all data on my PC including all music. Is there a way of transfering the music on my IPOD back to PC ( Windows not apple)?

thanks
andrew

[/quote]

My hubby recommends you go to the apple discussions page

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

and post a message you will get lots of replies. We use our iPods with Mac computers and you can transfer music FROM iPod TO computer - only by using 3rd party software. Whether you can do it with Windows I don't know, but probably. Again, you will need to download some software(free) that will enable you to do it. The iPod discussions page will no doubt be the answer to your search.

05-06-2004, 14:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Great if it worked like that but it doesn't I'm afraid. The files are hidden on purpose due to copyright restrictions etc. That's why you need extra software to get round this. There's lots of it available for Macs but I don't know if there is any for Windows. I would imagine there is. Go to www.ipodlounge.com for exactly what the site says on the tin!

Elaine62
11-02-2005, 21:12
can an iod work on a pc if not what is the maximum song an mp3 player can hold

calumhibee1
12-02-2005, 17:35
Yes an I-Pod does work on a p.c