PDA

View Full Version : The Mummy - WELL?!

imported_n/a
01-06-2004, 02:45
Hey, There has so far been like one report on riding The Mummy!

What is it actually like?[}:)]

When we go at Christmas, is it worth going to Universal just to ride it[?]

Cheers Then![msnwink]
Chris

amy
01-06-2004, 12:08
[quote]Originally posted by Campbell
Hey, There has so far been like one report on riding The Mummy!

What is it actually like?[}:)]

When we go at Christmas, is it worth going to Universal just to ride it[?]

Cheers Then![msnwink]
Chris

Chris , you will find a reply to your question here
[http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=10706]

smblair
01-06-2004, 16:50
Chris

I was at Universal Studios last Wednesday and had a go on the Mummy ride........it's awesome [}:)]. Waited an hour to get on but only because it broke down (apparently happens once a day at least !!). It's full of twists and turns and the visual effects are fab. However, I did find that its all over too quickly !

Definately worth a visit........[msnsmile2]

Shona

Carla
01-06-2004, 17:03
Does this ride open a bit earlier, like MIB and Back to the Future? Did you arrive at the Park early and find a lot of people making a dash towards Mummy?

My daughter is trying to plan our first day at Universal - we usually rush to MIB and pick up a Terminator fastpass on the way. So she wants to know if Mummy was really popular and do we need to change our dash to Mummy instead of MIB!!
:D:D:D

smblair
01-06-2004, 17:54
Not sure if it opens early Carla. We didn't arrive into Universal until 12 noon.

There's lockers at the entrance to store any bags etc and there's a separate queue for single riders (like myself) which seemed to speed up the wait time. The vehicles take 4 (I think) wide and there's 4 rows to a vehicle so the queues do move pretty fast. I think there can be somthing like 4 or 5 vehicles on the track at any one time.

Probably best to head for it first as you'll probably want to ride it again as soon as you come off !

I could tell you more but don't want to spoil it ! Have fun :D

esprit
01-06-2004, 20:13
Its very good...... but not Spiderman. Descibed as a psychological ride and there are a lot of times when it stops in the dark for what seems an age building up suspense. First but is slow, in the dark past mummmies jumping up, fire, lots of bugs ( on a film screen but seemingly coming out of the walls). There was water sprayed at least once as I came out with wet hair. At one point in stops and goes backwards. At another it stops and suddenly plummets down. You eventually go up a steep roller coaster type ramp and from then on it is a Space mountain type coaster ride, fast and twisting with effects. The pre show queuing area is like an Egyptian excavation with a giant statute being unearthed and lifted out of the ground and is good.

Oliver
01-06-2004, 20:35
Taken from Daily Mirror , (This may spoil the ride as it gives a full review)

I WANT MY MUMMY May 29 2004

WOW... I didn't know that being really, really scared could be so much fun.

I had just experienced Universal Studios Florida's newest ride, The Revenge of the Mummy. Billed as "the world's first psychological thrill ride" by Universal, I endured four-minutes of sheer terror and exhilaration.

My fellow riders agreed and we greeted the attendant at the end with cheering and applause. Or so we thought.

The ride is based upon 1999's smash-hit film, The Mummy and its 2001 sequel, The Mummy Returns, both of which starred Brendan Fraser, who played Rick O'Connell, and Arnold Vosloo, who played the Mummy.

The concept behind the ride sounds deceptively simple: take the scariest elements of an old-fashioned ghost train and the most state-of-the-art special effects a top movie studio can provide. Add to that total darkness, sheer drops, cursing mummies, flesh-eating scarab beetles and the mummy of all roller-coasters, and you can see why it has taken Universal all this time, and about £50million, to develop.

In a video message, Arnold Vosloo told us how scared he had been and how even Brendan Fraser "had screamed like a small girl". Despite this, I was confident I would enjoy it.

The Revenge of the Mummy employs several firsts in a ride. The cars travel on a super-smooth, silent, sand-filled track and are propelled by an electro-magnetic propulsion system. The ride got off to a gentle start before turning a corner into our first "thrill". One of the Mummy's victims warned us to run for our lives before a giant 6ft 8ins animatronic Mummy leapt out at us, and I jumped out of my skin.

When he screamed that our souls were his, all we were happy to do was escape with our lives. It was just at this moment I remembered the time when, as a seven-year-old boy, I had been so scared of the ghost train at a local fairground, I had hidden under the seat. This time I had nowhere to hide, thanks to the tight safety bar.

After a quick burst of speed, the car travelled around another corner and we were swept into a room full of gold, jewels and other precious treasure. But this only lulls you into a false sense of security and serves to heighten the effect when the Mummy's face suddenly appears above you. As he calls to his henchmen to get you, skeleton warriors jump out at the car. By this stage, most of us were screaming like lots of small girls.

The car sped up again and we all ducked as we hurtled under a collapsing wall into the next room of the tomb.

Then we suddenly stopped and flesh-eating scarabs began to fill the room before swarming towards us. Faced with this new terror, the car then performs another first for an indoor ride - it silently switches tracks and just as the scarabs are about to attack, you suddenly drop 25ft at a 50-degree angle - but it feels far more sheer than that. The car stopped dead, but our screaming did not.

Once again the Mummy appeared above us with another chilling threat, while our car silently changed tracks underneath us. Time to breathe? No - we were catapulted up a steep slope and through the Mummy's gaping mouth. Before he can digest us, we blindly flew through a puff of smoke and the car dropped on to a stretch of very twisty, 80-degree angle, 45mph roller-coaster, and then whisked us through the dark as the Mummy's evil henchmen tried to grab us.

There are 200 speakers on the ride including 22 in the car, but you can still hear the screams coming from you and your fellow riders' throats.

Just when you think you can't take any more, the ride turns a corner into the station. We all cheered loudly, thinking that this is quite simply the best ride ever. The lady in the control booth told us to get ready to disembark when she seemed to shrink to nothing, the glass exploded on top of us, and guess who appeared?

This time our souls were going to be his for eternity and to emphasise his point, the ceiling exploded into flames.

The car surged forward on to

bridget
01-06-2004, 20:46
HEE HEE! Can't wait! :D

imported_n/a
02-06-2004, 03:11
Oh, that sounds really really awesome! I can't wait now![msnsmile2]
Thanks Everyone![msnwink]
Chris

neilr
02-06-2004, 04:14
roll on this weekend.. My girls are going to be well scared!!!:D

LesleyB
02-06-2004, 10:01
Is there a height restriction on this ride?

Lesley

Nostromo
02-06-2004, 11:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB
Is there a height restriction on this ride?

Lesley
[/quote]

I think it is the ususal 48" or more, avoid if pregnant or have back/neck problems etc. The ride had not yet opened when we visited Universal Studios, but there were plenty of billboards advertising it.

ujpest doza
02-06-2004, 14:15
We went the day it opened 21st May and the stand by queue was 45 minutes. The Express Passes were all gone for the entire day by 10AM.
We did Baby Swap and actually both went on twice because there was nobody stopping the people from the bay swap room (which has seats and a TV) from going on again and again.
It is a very good ride, but if like me you wear glasses don't expect to be able to see much when you get off as you get sprayed with a very fine water spray just before you get off.

mikewj
15-06-2004, 09:27
The Express Passes were up to 7pm at 10am this morning, and the thing wasn't even working !!

They finally had it up and running at about 1pm (apparently its often closed due to "Technical Difficulties" just like Spiderman when it first opened) so we used our new found route to quick rides, the baby swap, and got on the front row in about 3 minutes flat (average queue times were 60 mins).

All I can say is watch out for that first twist, it almost takes you out of your seat. Its no wonder they have techy problems, there's so much to it.

An excellent ride that seems far too big to fit into the space taken up by Kong !!

Elaine311
25-06-2004, 15:46
Ohhhh it sounds great! I can't wait :D:D Just a shame I won't have anyone with me to listen to the screams!

neilr
08-07-2004, 16:28
Excellent addition to Universal.. Kids (11 and 14) would not join me for a repeat ride though, spooked by the Cast Member posing as a scary crypt watcher in the line!!! OOps hope I've not spoiled a suprise...

[msncool]

CarolAnn
27-08-2004, 20:12
Well! Sounds fab:DWon't be doing that though[msnscared][msnoo]

Lilyvazz
31-12-2004, 16:44
I adore the movies i think they are fab! I definately want to go on that ride :)

eagleydo
22-01-2005, 23:07
A roller coaster ride that I enjoy, has to be a first. I kept going on over and over again. If only I could conquer my fear and so The Hulk!

E. Cosgrove
23-01-2005, 00:09
The Mummy is good for people who hate rollercoasters as it is inside so you can't see what is coming, just like space Mountain or Rock n Rollercoaster at MGM. The hulk is frightening because you can see it all......great ride though[msnwink]

KJH
23-01-2005, 01:31
Wizzed passed the description and read the last feew posts, thought to myself, Oh I might be able to go on this then, Double checked just to be sure.......No I won't be able to go on this, scary[msnscared][msnoo]

eagleydo
23-01-2005, 03:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
The Mummy is good for people who hate rollercoasters as it is inside so you can't see what is coming, just like space Mountain or Rock n Rollercoaster at MGM. The hulk is frightening because you can see it all......great ride though[msnwink]
[/quote]
I tried space mountain, hated it, closed my ideas and prayed for it to end. I want to do the hulk so badly that every year before I go to Florida I dream constantly that I am riding it, every year I get there and chicken out.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 14:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
A roller coaster ride that I enjoy, has to be a first. I kept going on over and over again. If only I could conquer my fear and so The Hulk!
[/quote]

Jan.

I was just like you,for years in the fact i was to scared to go on the big coasters and when i saw "the big one" at Blackpool i thought no way not in a million years.

Anyway i forced myself to go on it and as usual these things are not nearly as bad as you think they will be,yes,they may look terrifying but most times they are fun and not as bad as you expected.

The thing to do is take a seat in the middle on your first ride and keep your eyes closed the whole ride.

Then go on again and open them a few times.

By your next ride you will have them open the whole ride and then its time to move to the front seats and back seats to get the full experience and start enjoying them instead of fearing them.

I am mad at myself for letting my fear get the better of me for so many years because i missed out on so much fun and now i will go on any ride in the World and enjoy it while im still young enough,and fit enough.

For years i wanted to take a helicopter flight but thought wrongly it would be to scary,but when i finally did one i was amazed at how smooth it was and it was a fantastic experience and this year im going to take a balloon ride which i thought i would never have the courage to do,so dont let your fears put you off,things are not nearly as bad as we think they are.

John[8D]

eagleydo
23-01-2005, 18:53
Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
A roller coaster ride that I like you,for years in the fact i was to scared to go on the big coasters and when i saw "the big one" at Blackpool i thought no way not in a million years.
Anyway i forced myself to go on............
John[8D]
[/quote]
John
Thank you, I know where you are coming from. I was frightened of the Helicopter ride but on my last visit I went and absolutely adored it, tried Mummy, loved it and am working my way up to Hulk. This yearI am going to start on the smaller inverted rollercoasters at Busch Gardens. My daughter did this on our last visit and now she goes on them all and the Hulk and Fire and Ice are her favourites. I love water drops and always do all these rides and they entail heights so it doesn't make sense really that I am frightened of coasters.