PDA

View Full Version : Seaworld - cruel or not?

Cruella DeVilla
31-05-2004, 18:36
Just wondered what others thought about the shows there? We watched amongst others the Shamua show where they have the whales, dolphins etc performing. Hubby was not happy about it which got me a thinking to. I know they treat them nice but is it a wee bit cruel on the performers and I do not mean the humans! Just think about Free Willy.
CDV[:0]

Ruth
31-05-2004, 21:34
I have very mixed feelings about it and have to say that I nprefer to see then in their natural environment. I believe they are well looked after but cannot be happy in a tank when compared with the ocean. However I have done Discovery Cove twice and have been to Seaworld a few times. When I was a student I worked with the dophins and killer whale (Winnie who is now at Seaworld Orlando) and loved doing so.

andrewmckay5
31-05-2004, 21:36
Ruth,
if let back into the"wild" could they survive?
andrew

Ruth
31-05-2004, 22:20
I don't think their chances are good. Most are now captive bread and may have lost some of their natural instincts. They are also very used to humans and may not want to go out to sea and join a pod. The whale from "Free Willy" died once he was released sadly.

steph_goodrum
31-05-2004, 23:00
Ruth
At least Keiko had at least 18 months or so in a more natural environment. but he was kept in exceptionally bad conditions where he was found.

I thought Winnie ended up at Sea World in San Diego? She was the one who inspried our daughters love of killer whales when she was 4. For her birthday we took her to Windosr Safari park (it happened to be raining) and every time our daughter stood be the viewing window Winnie appeared, but whenever anyone else wanted a picture she disappeared again. Of course everybody kept asking her to stand there just to get a picture, and they all kept saying how much Winnie must like her to keep coming back. To a 4 year old that was gospel and she fell right back in love with her. Her dad and I suspected it was more to do with her bright red Sooty raincoat but weren't about to spoil the illusion.

Nostromo
31-05-2004, 23:00
This is a difficult question but on the whole, Sea World seems to do a very good job of maintaining the animals in as naturalistic environment as possible. I too like all animals to be in their own habitat where possible, but we have to consider those humans who do not care and put them at risk. Places like Sea World have done a lot on the conservation issue (the manatees, for example, or the pets rescued from animal shelters). I agree that the Killer Whales and Polar Bears probably feel that their world is a bit cramped at SW, but most other creatures have lots of space. There is some evidence that Dolphins actually like to interact with human beings and they certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves as well.

chrisj
31-05-2004, 23:54
Im like Ruth, I prefer them or any animal to be in their natural environment, but I do know that the
'Seaworlds' do look acter their animals

chris
01-06-2004, 00:23
The fact that they all breed so happily there makes you think they can't be too unhappy. In February we saw the week old baby killer whale. Most of the whales and dolphins at seaworld now were born there so its no different really to breeding parrots etc as pets in my mind.

chrizzy100
01-06-2004, 00:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris
The fact that they all breed so happily there makes you think they can't be too unhappy. In February we saw the week old baby killer whale. Most of the whales and dolphins at seaworld now were born there so its no different really to breeding parrots etc as pets in my mind.
[/quote]

Zoos and wildlife parks give people who will never get to see an animal close up.....some idea of what a great loss to the world wildlife would be.......the few animals who give their freedom up to live in parks and Zoos.....give our kids a love of animals they may not otherwise get...and in so doing those kids go on to give time and money in the future...which in turn pays for the free space and clean water our free roaming wildlife need so badly.....well thats my 2 cents.......

trevlad
01-06-2004, 00:58
again i'm with the positive side, because of the high profile and caring nature these creatures show us, i for one wouldnt go hunt them in the wild, maybe our japanese friends need go sea world?!?[msnmad]

trev[8D]

Nostromo
01-06-2004, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
again i'm with the positive side, because of the high profile and caring nature these creatures show us, i for one wouldnt go hunt them in the wild, maybe our japanese friends need go sea world?!?[msnmad]

trev[8D]
[/quote]

I agree. Japanese and Scandinavian 'friends'.

Cruella DeVilla
04-06-2004, 20:54
Glad I am not the only one who feels they way I do. I have seen killer Whales in the wild and it was one of the most breathtaking experiences in the world. It was in a place called SeaLion Island in the Falklands and I remember the feeling to this day.

The last time we went to Seaworld the whales would not perfrom and the trainers said we have to remember they are wild and will not do anything they do not want to do! So they played with a ball in the back pools the whole time!!! The Dolphins workled overtime that day!!

Would not rush back to be honest.
Jacqueline[:X]

Nostromo
04-06-2004, 23:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Glad I am not the only one who feels they way I do. I have seen killer Whales in the wild and it was one of the most breathtaking experiences in the world. It was in a place called SeaLion Island in the Falklands and I remember the feeling to this day.

The last time we went to Seaworld the whales would not perfrom and the trainers said we have to remember they are wild and will not do anything they do not want to do! So they played with a ball in the back pools the whole time!!! The Dolphins workled overtime that day!!

Would not rush back to be honest.
Jacqueline[:X]
[/quote]

I have to agree with you there. Once you see animals gamboling happily in the wild, it can never be the same in captivity no matter how well they are looked after. But having said that, Sea World does a better job than many others in caring for its 'guests'.

trevlad
05-06-2004, 03:13
on our last visit we saw the new baby suckling its mum with the water turning milky, where it leaked out. we also saw a real shamu poo!!, but thats a different story
apparently the trainers take lots of jabs.

the whale wasnt playing one day we went so they just left it talking to its pal and carried on with something else. dont see any of that in a book
trev [8D]

Sharon G
05-06-2004, 18:42
Our last visit to Seaworld we went and viewed the dolphins from the window tank down below ground.

Two dolphins were getting "frisky" with each other and the male dolphin had everything on show!![msnembarrased][msnembarrased]
even more so from our view.......

My 11 year old then started to tell another child next to us about the birds and the bee's...till his parents ushered him away quickly............[msnoo]

The male dolphin then kept swimming close to the viewing window....still everything on show[msneek][msneek] like he was showing off!!!

It was really funny watching him and think he enjoyed all the attention!!!!

Sharon

blott
05-06-2004, 19:23
Don't tell me dolphins have their own version of 'men in raincoats'! [:O]:D

Whilst I do feel somewhat sorry for the 'inmates', I do think they're really well looked after and their health and welfare is paramount. Most of their 'tricks' are founded on the natural behaviour in the wild and, as a couple of you have noted, if they don't feel like doing something, they're not forced to do so. Seaworld also do a lot of conservation work with manatees, etc some of which is probably funded by our theme park entrance fees.

It's a bit like the zoo debate - there are millions of people who will never get a chance to see these sorts of creatures in the wild and it's one way for everyone to be privileged to do so. Some of the visitors will learn an awful lot just by visiting and even if they only absorb some of the info available, they will be richer for the experience I think.

Frosty
07-06-2004, 02:33
Refering back to Chris`s point about animals being happy if they breed:

Turn the table round, if i were captured by a superior race and put in a Jail with a beautiful woman prisoner and kept there for years, all the time been fed well and encouraged to reproduce, how long would i say no..........i wonder, would that infer i was happy????

A Jail is still a jail no matter how you dress it up.

Neil

PS never spent time in one but have worked in a few.[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
07-06-2004, 10:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Turn the table round, if i were captured by a superior race and put in a Jail
[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying except to ask how we can call ourselves "a superior race"? Look what we are doing to this planet that we live in. Somehow, humans manage to upset the natural cycle of events even without meaning to do so.

When we were at Silver Springs, we were told that the Crocodile species was around for millions of years before we humans arrived. I could not help thinking that the crocs would probably be still there when we become extinct. So much for being the 'superior race'.

Frosty
08-06-2004, 01:56
Yes i see your point about destroying our own enviroment, but you got to break eggs to make an omlette, and if your going to go green on me, just remember one thing, the next time you visit our beloved FL how many tons of greenhouse gases and toxins will have been spit out of the planes engine for you to get there.

Its ok to point the finger at other people destroying our planet, but even using your PC to read this is contributing to pollution. Where do we stop ??

My last point, i stick with "SUPERIOR", how many crocodiles have you seen flying to a foriegn country, or design a Jet engine...:D:D:D:D

Neil

chrisj
08-06-2004, 02:04
Nostromo

I watched a programme about Crocs the other night, WOW amazing how they have adapted and
survived, as you say they have developed over millions of years. Will see them in a different
light now. Even Sam was amazed at the programme

Cruella DeVilla
19-06-2004, 02:38
Come to think about it I do not like zoos much either. Animal Kingdom springs to mind...but that is for another day.
CDV

mikewj
19-06-2004, 23:26
Animal Kingdom is heaven compared to Busch Gardens.

They're building a new coaster to open sometime next year which will be the tallest and fastest in Florida.

Are they expanding their plot of land to build it ? Have they decided to get rid of an old ride to make room ?

Of course not. They're getting rid of the station in Stanleyville, making the railway track smaller by cutting into the grassland where most of the animals live (just like they did for Rhino Rally) and have already removed the orangutan enclosure completely.

I know that they have to compete with IOA for coaster fans these days, but surely not at the expense of the animals. The way they're going, the African theme will be made up of a couple of apes and some grass huts before long.

Nostromo
20-06-2004, 00:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj
Animal Kingdom is heaven compared to Busch Gardens.

[/quote]

I have to agree with this. Busch was already showing signs of decay when we went in 2001. We did not go there this spring, but met a Canadian family who did and they described the park as "slowly going to seed". They were particularly unhappy with the very poor service by the staff.