PDA

View Full Version : Fuel top-up near airport

Nostromo
30-05-2004, 11:08
No doubt that one of the problems faced by many people (like me) is the need to top up the fuel in their hired car just before returning it to the airport. This can sometimes be a problem, particularly for those using the less crowded southern route via SR417. There are no obvious gas stations along SR417 for several miles before the airport exit, but there is one conveniently placed about a mile off the road.

Take the ususal Exit #17 out of SR417 for the airport, but turn right into Boggy Creek Road momentarily going away from your destination. About a mile further this road, there is a gas station that is ususally open very late and can be used to top up fuel. From there, it is about 5 minutes back to the main entrance of the airport.

Floridalover
30-05-2004, 13:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
No doubt that one of the problems faced by many people (like me) is the need to top up the fuel in their hired car just before returning it to the airport. This can sometimes be a problem, particularly for those using the less crowded southern route via SR417. There are no obvious gas stations along SR417 for several miles before the airport exit, but there is one conveniently placed about a mile off the road.

Take the ususal Exit #17 out of SR417 for the airport, but turn right into Boggy Creek Road momentarily going away from your destination. About a mile further this road, there is a gas station that is ususally open very late and can be used to top up fuel. From there, it is about 5 minutes back to the main entrance of the airport.
[/quote]

Good advice Nostromo, I often wondered where you can fuel up if you take that route. I normally take Sand Lake Road and just before you join the 528 there are 2 filling stations too, thats only about 3 miles from the airport.

steph_goodrum
30-05-2004, 13:50
Nostromo,
I know Dollar charge you more but we just pay for the tank of fuel ($43 in April) and then return the hire car as near empty as possible. It saves having to queue to get a refund on the credit card for the fuel charge and on the cost of the holiday is such a small amount that we would rather do that than have to fill up near the airport.

chrisj
30-05-2004, 13:59
We do the same Steph, pay for a full tank and then just take the car back, no need to worry about
having to fill up

wilfy
30-05-2004, 15:29
last time we had to do this, we topped up at the hess garage near indian wells. The trip to the airport was something like 25 miles. The tank still showed as full when we arrived.

kaysvacationvilla
30-05-2004, 17:07
We always pay for the tank of gas also. Then there is no worry about fulling up the tank before we return the car.

Kay

DaveL
30-05-2004, 19:47
Wilfy right, you can drive most of the cars at least 25 miles and the fuel gauge will still show on the full mark. I have been filling up about 15 miles before the airport for years and never been charged.

I have never worked out how you return the car with an empty tank which is why I don't take the prepaid option. If the company only hire 500 cars a day, times a quarter tank of fuel at $5, then they are clearing an extra $2500 a day. However one of my guests drove to the airport with the fuel light on and the chime warning sounding as he was late. The car ran out of fuel just as he parked in the return queue. When they complained he just said " well you said bring it back empty" he told me it was the highlight of his holiday.

Regards Dave

chrisj
30-05-2004, 21:30
:D:D:D:D:D:D Thats brilliant

SunLover
30-05-2004, 21:48
I like his style :D:D:D