PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 2004 (Final Report)

Nostromo
30-05-2004, 04:51
[u]Thursday, 13th May 2004 (Day 22)</u> I woke up for the last time (for this trip) in Orlando with a strange sense of unrealism. It was as though the hectic three weeks had never happened and we were only beginning to start the holiday. It was only when I almost stumbled over my wife&#39;s shopping bags that the truth hit me. We were leaving for home today.

By and by, the rest of the brood woke up and went about their tasks. We did not say much to each other since there was a lot of packing and tidying up to do. My personal packing was simple since I had not done a great deal of shopping myself and I was finished by 11am. I then took the van and went out to the souvenir shop on US192 with the big Santa face on the front. (This is the one on the right side of US192 as one heads east just opposite the turnoff into Sherberth Road.) The guy there had promised to make an offer for any unused tickets; we had 5 Gatorland tickets and one for Sea World (my wife had used her DC pass to enter Sea World) and he made a flat offer of $50 for the lot. Frankly, it was better than I expected and so I parted with the tickets, took the money and returned to the villa. By then, the others had amost completed their packing and what appeared to be the personal effects of a small army filled the lounge. It took my brother-in-law and I almost an hour to load the lot into the van, but somehow we squeezed it all in and left room for the people as well.

We had an early lunch with our Danville relatives who were catching an earlier flight to Indianapolis. Afterwards, we set about tidying-up the villa. The caretaker had told us not to bother with hoovering etc, but we felt that we ought to leave it at least as tidy as it was when we arrived. I had delegated tasks to everyone including myself and after a couple of hours of teamwork, we were finished. I was pleased to note that everything, including the swimming pool area, looked as good as new. By previous arrangement, we left all unopened non-perishable food and wine for the caretakers, with a note of thanks. Finally, I went around the house and outside, taking photographs for memories of our stay in Amethyst Villa.

It was still just after 2:30pm and we still had some time time before we were due to leave for the airport. We sat around the living room to get a bit of rest and I chose this moment to ask the others about some of their impressions of the visit. I asked each of them to write down his or her most memorable moment or event of the trip; also, I asked them to rate every park they visited on a scale from 1 to 10. I did the same myself and afterwards, I tabulated the answers and found some surprising results.

First, the most memorable event:

My 82 year old father-in-law said that for him the most memorable moment was when he arrived at Kennedy Space Center, something that he had dreamed about for years.

My 75 year old mother-in-law felt that the Fantasmic! show was tops for her.

For my wife, understandably, her Dolphin Swim at Discovery Cove was the most unforgettable moment.

Her sister, ie my sister-in-law triumphantly mentioned her $50 bet winning jump on the Sky Coaster.

Her husband liked the &#39;Wishes&#39; fireworks at Magic Kingdom better than anything else. He had found himself an excellent vantage point to watch the display.

My niece went with her grandmother in quoting that Fantasmic was the best attraction of the visit.

For yours truly? I went on the Sky Coaster myself and topped it with The Slingshot; I had been on the Water Sports Adventure; seen Fantasmic twice; been through the memorable Astronaut Training Experience; but to be honest, for sheer enjoyment none of these topped my glee as while watching Beetlejuice&#39;s Graveyard Revue. You guys may think that I am crazy, but at least I am being honest.

The results for the Parks were more expected. Since not everyone went to all the parks, I simply noted the total score for each park and calculated the &#39;marks&#39; as a percentage, depending on the the number of people that visited. I left out my ATX and the wif

LesleyB
30-05-2004, 10:35
Wow Nostromo, you packed more into your three weeks than we have managed in five years worth of visits. It makes me realise how much more there is to see and do in Florida.

Thanks for keeping us entertained with your reports and don't leave it too long until you take another trip to find yet more interesting and unusual places to visit. I agree with the others that you should write a Florida guide book at least.

Lesley:D

Newhomebuyer
30-05-2004, 11:01
I'm feeling quite sad that your reports are over but pleased that you have obviously had such a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing it all.
OK, so when's the next trip?[msntongue]

Nostromo
30-05-2004, 11:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer
I'm feeling quite sad that your reports are over but pleased that you have obviously had such a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing it all.
OK, so when's the next trip?[msntongue]
[/quote]

Thank you for your comments. As I have said before, we can only manage Orlando once in about 3 years due to pressures of work and need to see other places. As things stand, it looks like our next Orlando visit will be in October 2007. (We are going to Barcelona and Seville this October, but I doubt if many readers of these forums will be interested)

caroline
30-05-2004, 12:05
We're off for a flying visit to Barcelona in July - I wish you were going before me;)

bellaepovera
30-05-2004, 12:16
Ive have totally enjoyed reading all your reports and some have given me new ideas on what to do and where to go in florida. I am so glad you have a wonderful time and cant wait till 2007 to read the new ones!!:D

steph_goodrum
30-05-2004, 13:44
It's been fascinating reading all your trip reports and I'm sure they will be an inspiration to other guests who spend 2 weeks and think they've "done Orlando" when they have not looked at anything beyond the major theme parks.

Regarding your last day, we've found the journey home seems to go much quicker if we make use of the Downtown Disney checkin (obviously only if you are flying with Virgin). Most villas the usual checkout time is 10am so by going to Downtown Disney and getting the luggage checkin in we can then spend the day either on last minute shopping or more usually at a theme or water park.
As it's usually the 8.30 flight we get home, having checked in in means we dont need to be at airport until around 7.30 and by having a busy last day and having a decent meal before we get on the plane, we find we can sleep better on the flight and not having 3 hours at the airport the time seems to go much quicker.

treena
30-05-2004, 14:14
thank you for the wonderful trip reports, I bet your niece is going to have some stories to tell her friends when she gets home:D

Jules
30-05-2004, 14:32
Thanks for the great report Nostromo. I for one would be interested in your report from Barcelona as it is one of my favourite destinations, after Florida of course.
We keep meaning to go to Seville but have never managed it. My husband would love an apartment in Barcelona, so we'd better keep playing the lottery. When you go don't miss Park Guell it's one of my favourite places in the city.

Ruth
30-05-2004, 17:22
Nostromo, I have really enjoyed your trip reports, they have been great. You have done things in your visit which we have never thought of doing but will now. Thanks once again:)

Rhosyn
30-05-2004, 18:26
Nostromo.
what am I going to read now that you have finished giving your report. The only thing I can think of is
1) book a flight within the next few days.
2) Take a lap top with you.
3) Write a daily report.
Thank you very much for the entertainment over the past few weeks. will have to start doing some work[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]
Beryl

Nostromo
30-05-2004, 19:27
Thank you everyone for your comments.

Cowboy
30-05-2004, 21:11
What a brilliant and intresting report. Many thanks Nostromo for all the time taken to post it.
Great pity about having to wait 3 hours for your Taxi home.
Mike.

fllion
31-05-2004, 06:15
brill welll done ..on your trip

Nostromo
02-06-2004, 10:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by treena
thank you for the wonderful trip reports, I bet your niece is going to have some stories to tell her friends when she gets home:D
[/quote]

You are right. I just discovered that she has jotted down points of interest from out trip to tell her friends back home. Apparently, students at her school are encouraged to do that.