PDA

View Full Version : Wishing to setup a business in Orlando

remelter
28-05-2004, 01:15
Seeking advice as regards the leaglities, visa requirements as regards my family and I relocating to Orlando permanently to set up our own business, believe we have a winner (then does'nt all). Any assistance as regards the relevant US authorities to contact in order to pursue such.

Many thanks
Mark

esprit
28-05-2004, 07:13
Not enough info. Do you already have a business in the UK you can transfer?? If not you need an E2 visa and a good visa attorney as doing it in a set up business and business plan is harder than buying a business with trading accounts already. Expect to have to invest around $100,000. You may have to do this by renting premises, buying vehicles etc even in advance of getting a visa as they like to see commitment on business set up. Lesley Sillitto at wwww.investorvisausa.com is good on E2. Please be aware that E2 almost never leads to green card, has many restrictions on what you can do and is risky for your kids if you have any.

remelter
28-05-2004, 23:00
Thanks for the advise, this will be a new venture although have seen a few businesses that we "may" be interested in but longing to follow our idea through???????

Is it possible, in the state of Florida to run your business "home based" ie. using your home for business purposes????????

Sorry people, newbie and proposed plan is about two yearsish away yet, so at the planning stage as yet??

chrizzy100
28-05-2004, 23:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by remelter
Thanks for the advise, this will be a new venture although have seen a few businesses that we "may" be interested in but longing to follow our idea through???????

Is it possible, in the state of Florida to run your business "home based" ie. using your home for business purposes????????

Sorry people, newbie and proposed plan is about two yearsish away yet, so at the planning stage as yet??
[/quote]

You'd have to see if you can run a home business from the house you buy......some places don't let you do that.....

It would be worth talking to a realtor about it......

esprit
29-05-2004, 07:19
On L 1 Interbusiness transfer, you need a office, but on E2 you can run from home though it helps with your application if you have business premises. Many E2 man cos run from home. It is not unheard of for people to rent business premises and then jack them. In other businesses, such as pool care, the license you get prohibits you from storing commericial quantities of pool chemicals on residential premises. Home run poolcares need to pick up chemicals from the pool wholesaler on a daily basis on their way out on their rounds and that is what most do. Chrizzy is right, somne HOAs prohibit business use and otherw wont allow commericial vehicles. Celebration allows home based businesses as long as there is no coming and going involved and it is not apparent from the road that it is a business. So no visitors and no signs.

fllion
29-05-2004, 07:45
you can run a telephone only business from your home

you need to go to your county planning & zoning dept at the court house and get approved ,take your articles of Incorporation & SS number ,then they will issue you a occupational license for your company

in Lake county ,it is $30 a year

remelter
30-05-2004, 17:34
Thanks to all, seems as though I have a lot of planning to do.

Rgds
M

sully62
07-06-2004, 16:40
L 1 Interbusiness transfer, how long does one of these take to process, I own my own builing Co in the UK and have been considering this route and open up a sister Co in the US all these UK villa owners would surely rather use a british based co rather than US one,
would'nt you??
Tony:D:D

esprit
08-06-2004, 07:37
Yes I would!! It is quite quick, 4-6 weeks though you can pay extra for premium processing and then it is only a couple of weeks.

sully62
09-06-2004, 02:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Yes I would!! It is quite quick, 4-6 weeks though you can pay extra for premium processing and then it is only a couple of weeks.
[/quote]
that sounds promising, are there any links i follow to find out more about this, and what sort of competition would you come across
"better stock up on PG Tips, tea breaks in the sun";)
tony:D:D

jeffc
09-06-2004, 03:35
one of the main probs you will have starting a building comp in florida will be everything or body has to be certified and qualified to do anything here...

everything on the home front is supposed to have a permit from the council...
this is for the safety of all... how it works in real life remains to be seen.. i know people who do work ie wiring with no training at all this is fine until a fire then wham no insurance.... due to you using none licenced people...

never looked at building comps myself but it seem there is a lot of work in the home inspection side of building ie for anybody wanting to buy a resale house you get a home inspection to find any faults.. this again you have to be certified and registered and insured....

if you need a company that trains for the home inspection course let me know..

also on the L1 route you normally have to be manager level type role and use local labour...

hope all this makes sense...

esprit
09-06-2004, 07:41
Construction is also an area where workers comp is very dififcult to get and very expensive and if you saw the builders running across rooves here without any safety gear, you would know why. I would certainly use a good UK builder. Half the ones here seem to disappear leaving the job half finished. I am going to need some dry walling doing soon. Fancy it??

sully62
09-06-2004, 22:25
[quote]Originally posted by jeffc
one of the main probs you will have starting a building comp in florida will be everything or body has to be certified and qualified to do anything here...

this is for the safety of all... how it works in real life remains to be seen.. i know people who do work ie wiring with no training at all this is fine until a fire then wham no insurance.... due to you using none licenced people...

never looked at building comps myself but it seem there is a lot of work in the home inspection side of building ie for anybody wanting to buy a resale house you get a home inspection to find any faults.. this again you have to be certified and registered and insured....

also on the L1 route you normally have to be manager level type role and use local labour...

it does, but i would like the name of the company you mentioned
thanks

chrizzy100
09-06-2004, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jeffc

[/quote]

Don't you already need a work visa to go into home inspection ....???

sully62
09-06-2004, 22:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Construction is also an area where workers comp is very dififcult to get and very expensive and if you saw the builders running across rooves here without any safety gear, you would know why. I would certainly use a good UK builder. Half the ones here seem to disappear leaving the job half finished. I am going to need some dry walling doing soon. Fancy it??
[/quote]
how soon is soon, were hopefully going over in oct to close on our villa, i could extend my stay;), its along way to go for a barrow job;)

esprit
10-06-2004, 02:04
Think it may be done by then unfortunately ( if we are lucky!!!)

jeffc
10-06-2004, 06:26
you dont need a visa to take the course but you will need a visa to work though..